Will computers still be your main hobby when you’re over 40?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by SamHughe, Feb 16, 2006.

?

Will computers be your main hobby when you're over 40.

1. Yes! Computers/hardware/games are all I care.

60 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. No! I'll probably find something else to do as a hobby.

17 vote(s)
    17.7%
  3. Hey! I'm already 40 years old and computers are my main hobby.

19 vote(s)
    19.8%
  1. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    What, you can't see into the future? Guess I'm the only one.

2. BlueDragonXP

BlueDragonXP Guest

Nope playstation is my main hobby. :) :) :)

3. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

I'm with John. 40 years is so far into the future that I can't really tell. However, I'm more diverting to the general electrical field now, so whether that is working on computers, cars, building some circuit, or whatever. That's probably what I will work on.

Over the summer, I don't plan to work on my computers as much as to try to design and build a headphone amplifier. I know there are designs that you can find online, but I'd like to make my own. Switching or linear, I haven't decided. Probably linear though as the power loss won't be that great....

So yea, I guess in short...

Computers are not my main hobby now, and they probably won't be when I'm 40.

4. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobile Radeon HD 5730
    I will still be playing FPS's @ 40. I have to have some way to relive that anger and stress.

5. Pr0v

Pr0v Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus A9600XT/TD
    you should add the option:

even now, computers are not my main hobby ;)

6. god4sure

god4sure Elite Trini Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX / X300
    most definitely -------YES

7. darknight909

darknight909 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080

how does that not count? i want to be a programmer so i would say yes

8. Logick

Logick Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce 7900GT
    Probably yes, not sure though. :) I have to make it to 40 first :nerd:

9. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Well, I don't know, I like to play/photoshop, but I think it will be just another hobby (as it is now, but it's winter so it's too damn cold or rainy most of the time to go outside a lot) as Skating, Surfing/swimming are the things I like to do the most. Last summer I barely touched a keyboard, so............

10. play2lose

play2lose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 X Diamond 7970's
    hell yes ill still be a gamer

*imagines games at age 40*

*droool*

11. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Yeah just imagine the graphics in like 20 years (since most of us are around that age... I think? :p)

Maybe we can get some virtual reality action (NOT THAT KIND YOU SICKO!) goin on. *dreams more*

But yeah I definetly will. Theres no reason why I wouldnt!

12. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Computers aren't my main hobby right now, so in 20 years it's unlikely that they will be.

13. RSX

RSX Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6970
    Probably not, I am not so into upgrading computer already now. It's just too much money, and plus if I have a mortage and kids. There is no way I would even have the time to play game.

14. Rukk

Rukk Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 295
    I'm 43, been gaming all my life, mostly on pc s once they got up to speed a bit and in the process, have learned a lot about pc hardware and such. I don't know if computers are my main hobby however, I game a lot and I don't see that changing any time soon.

15. SamHughe

SamHughe Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX (SLI)
    I'm 32 and gaming/building is my main hobby. I keep thinking I am able to do this because I'm a full time graduate student (I work part time to pay my hardware bills), I'm married but have no kids (yet). Once I finish the school which is very soon, I won't be able to do all of this because the job going to take over, my wife will probably want a baby, a house and a new car maybe. Most importantly, ppl around me going to expect me to adopt more "mature" hobbies. So, I'm really stressed out about this issue because I LOVE playing PC games and tweaking my PC. I swear I'm even thinking career switch because of this.

Sam

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006

16. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    Mate go with your instinct, everything is OK in moderation, kids will take up a lot of your spare time once they arrive but done responsibly pc's as a hobby are fine, it all comes down to time management :)

17. mykledw

mykledw Guest

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    well, I am over 40 and yes I work with computers at work and yes I game at home. Yes, I am happily married and yes, I have 2 kids........

Boy 9 and daughter 6 and they both have their own rigs......

My boy and I play BF2 and C&C zero hour all the time, although he is getting into starwars battle II and is leaving me to play BF2 with my 2 brothers in New Mexico and Phoenix over X-fire......

Daughter and wife love bejouled 2 and have a blast with that......

So yeah, you can game, be 40, raise kids and be happy!!!!!!:dave:

18. 1wacko

1wacko Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI HD3870 512 MB in CF
    That's for sure. I'm 41, happily married, three kids, work with and on computers at work and I come home and the first thing I do is sit at my computer. I use it for many things, gaming, email, contacting friends, infomration and many more. i can not imagine living without a computer, and by the way I'm very happily married.

19. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    I hear that, my boy (14) has his own rig and is a WoW player, though we do lan game alot, CnC Generals too btw, my girl (9) has her own rig and does her Brats / Barbie thing but will also lan game with us (World of Warcraft: Frozen Throne & Black & White) but my biggest hurdle is getting "her I ignore at my peril" to loosen the purse strings for upgrades :)
    Me too, 26 years this year (you get less time in jail for murder than that :):):) )

20. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    I feel the same way minus the mortgage and the kids. Too busy with school and I just don't have the money. The technology is evolving too fast, it's impossible to keep up unless you're really rich or don't mind paying 19% interest on your credit card bill.
    Last time I did a full upgrade was 2002. I just add stuff as I go, when the old stuff becomes obsolete.