Is Vista going to be poor?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by SniperDaws, Feb 3, 2006.

1. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    WMP11 = Quicktime rip.

2. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    are windows vista GPU's the same as DX10 GPU's ???

3. cmay119

cmay119 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 Ti Classified
    As was said earlier in the thread DX9 based Graphics cards are supported under Windows Vista. Windows Vista itself doesn't have a GPU (Graphical Processing Unit) since it is software and a GPU is hardware. Hope that helps.

4. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    i meant windows vista ready :) :) :)
    i'm no noob

5. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900

Cheers mate ill hang fire, im doing ok with my 9700pro so far, im playing Quake4 on high settings in 1024 res, so its no rush, best £200 ever spent on my pc this card keeps on going and going.

6. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Well a 5200 lags on vista, a 9800pro handles it fine with aero glass, a 6610(400/800) and 6700 (525/1100) handle it just great. so you don't need to worry, this is with all shiny options like aero glass and 3d intterface thing.

7. cmay119

cmay119 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 Ti Classified

lol, okay, sorry about that. I didn't mean to sound condescending in my last post. As for your question, I believe it will have DX10 implemented right into the initial release of Vista. One thing that sounds horrible about DX10 is that it doesn't sound like it's backwards compatible with earlier versions of DX. Meaning all your DX9 and lower games will run slower than they normally should, since all those previous gen games will now be ran at the software level....

8. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    anyone got a link to Vista beta 2?

apart from looking a little diffrent and i mean little, is there anything new with vista?
    somthing that might make me think wow thats really good, or is it just a case of XP with a diffrent theme?

9. S_Kinton

S_Kinton Ancient Guru

GPU:
    512mb 8800GT & 22" Samsung LCD
    Mikes right, forget Q3, its gonna be Q4 until we can get our hands on Vista

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    other than winfs & virtual folder search, you can make xp look and act like vista using some 3rd party apps.

1> Longhorn transformation pack 10.5 free - all the wallpapers,themes,icons..etc found in vista
    2> Dreamrender 2.19 shareware- uses graphics cards instead of cpu, a replacement for avalon - create/download 3d animated wallpaper/use videos,liquid effects for wallpaper/transparency..etc
    3> Desktop X shareware - another simliar replacement for the avalon feature- 3d icons, wierd start bars and menus, apple icons/animated icons lots of stuff dedicated to eyecandy
    4> Google desktop/coppernick/findfiles-free - of course these search utilities are not virtual folders like how vista's search works, these find whats on your drive pretty fast anyway.
    5> Truelaunch bar -shareware-you can create virtual folders,combine shortcuts in groups..etc, replaces old quicklaunch
    6> WinFX - shareware- different effects for menus
    7> Armor tools/pcsecure/securexp...etc - replacements for vista's user account protection (which will be quickly hacked and taken advantage of)

heres a list of some features that i think many enthusiasts will at some point find them to be resource hogs,not applicable to user or eventually replaced by 3rd party software.

support for tablet pc's (wow..tablets)
    broad IPv6 support,
    improved client-side caching of data stored on a server,
    whole-volume encryption... (i have a 2 yr old prog that does that)
    a revamped synchronization engine....(ooo..revamped)
    the ability to support laptops with an auxiliary display
    automatic hard drive optimization and a secure boot-up process (i think diskeeper and bootloc already does that)
    more outlook security features (do people use this crappy thing whith all the alternatives out there?)
    user account protection- (something else to hog resources)
    security features for corporate,roaming and mobile environments (cripes theres already a virus for it and why would home users need those extra securities, more resource hogging crap with countless patches that will be needed within a year)
    service hardening monitors critical services for abnormal activity (great if your a paranoid antivirus freak but more monitoring, just what we need)
    IE7 (nuff said, many will still want firefox)
    Network access protection ( everyone will have to use an AV anyway..why bother with this crap)
    Winsat- best for gaming noobs, no way it can be entirely accurate.
    Firewall with incomming & outgoing protection ( no one will trust this or it will be exploited anyway and use 3rd party firewalls)
    A.C.T (most users will still not know how to use this and request help or pay someone anyway)
    faster bootup/sleep and better memory management ( great but is that worth $300)
    U.I. (avalon) glass and new window animiation ( will get boring quick and you can have all that on XP that also uses your video card instead of cpu)
    Virtual Folder (great but again one of few features of any real interest)
    winfs (nice but dont expect miracles in performance)
    Network projection for mobile pc's (i'm pretty sure theres software on xp for this)
    indigo (i'm not impressed nor would i expect to see this utilized to full potential anytime soon after release)

11. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    so basically in answer to my question.......NO theres nothing worth getting exited about Vista for.

why doesnt somone completly revoloution-ise and build a real operating system that looks good enough for the 21century that doesnt involve system and resource hogs, we are going to be stuck with Vista for a long time and it might aswell just be windows 95, does Bill ever listen to the people he sells his stuff to, i am soooo bored of windows 98/XP/Vista its just the same old sh*t, and before somone jumps in ive no time for Linux thanks, if it wasnt for the internet i wouldnt even use a pc id just have a games console.

is it that we are limited because our CPU's arent good enough, is there a reason to hold back, when 64 bit was announced all the gaming mags said this is going to be massive, i even read somthing saying that imagine playing a multiplayer game like BF or COD with 1000 people on each side with diffrent players taking on diffrent roles in the D-Day landings, one squad comin in by glider to take out the German armour, while another squad are storming the beach 10 miles down the road, they said these are the games we'll be playing by the end of 2006, well that turned out to be complete BS didnt it, ive not heard anything in regards to a new game that makes a 32bit game look pacman, lmao im sorry i just realised im ranting, ill leave you all to completly smack my arse and tell me to f=ckoff.....lol.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i wonder if everything in vista will be multithreaded?

personally i'd like to see an os that can organise everything besides using folders within folders. theres also too many categories and too many links within them, i use Nlite and remove the majority of what xp has and keep all icons catagorized under one gui so i'm not clicking folder after folder

vista new search function is fine n all but i'd rather click an icon than type in text for everything, i think m$ could learn alot from some of the fun and cool loooking apps out there like windows-fx and dreamrender, might use more resources but newer pc's can handle them fine

13. dagabs

dagabs Member

GPU:
    Asus 6800GT 128Mb 420/880
    Well according to gamespot, previewing Windows Vista Aero Glass and 3d Desktop,

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6143883/index.html

Plus considering the power of new DX10 GPUs (Dual core on a single chip), I cant imagine how much power there will be.:nerd:

All games in 1920x1080 16AA 16AF (or even more). at a constant 60+FPS :rolleyes:

14. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    I bet Service Pack1 for Vista will require DirectX 11 hardware just to start up the installer... :D

15. bradbb2005

bradbb2005 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4550

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6143883/index.html

If the idea is to run the desktop in 3D mode then i think that will really shorten the lifespan of video cards. So now your idle GPU will go from say 45C to 60C, Video card torture!

EDIT: i tried running vista about a year ago when i got a beta release and i tried running it on Celeron 1ghz, 512 ram, 64mb card, 40gig maxtor, and that was horrible. It took 2 hours to install and the OS was "UNUSABLE" and that same system runs xp home a lil slow but nothing near it, so if you have a low to mid grade system, forget vista.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    you judged it based on a beta? a year old one at that
    vista's 3d use will be low...far,far lower than a video game,so temps wont be a concern

17. Matariel

Matariel Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX285
    Incorrect.
    Both MS and Apple stole the idea of a GUI using a mouse for user control from Xerox.
    MS just managed to get it to market first.
    Neither of them are real innovators, they just capitilise on other people's ideas.

18. adam watts

adam watts Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
    Too many microsoft haters today! They just like to bash it because they think its cool. If another company was as successful like microsoft they would bash it aswell. The truth hurts.

19. dagabs

dagabs Member

GPU:
    Asus 6800GT 128Mb 420/880
    Well some people like me like going for the under dog.

But you know if the owner of a company is a millionaire or billionaire, there pretty much ripping you off. But if it was'nt for that kind of money around what would encourage young tech heads or engineers to create such great things we have today.

Oh yeh evetually a year after Vista is released, everyone would probably have it. The latest and greatest.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  20. -999-

-999- Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX
    Running beta 2 now. It's purty, but not much else good can be said (so far). It seems ms wants you to go the longest route possible to accomplish anything. To just change the desktop properties, like screen save, background, etc, you have to go through several different windows. Just seems overly complicated.
    Plus I might be the only one that finds humor in this, but when solitare takes 20secs to load actually pops up messages like this, I would call it over-designed:
    [​IMG]

Also feels a lot like I'm running an almost stock install of fedora. Very 'nix-ish visuals and context.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006