Zalman HS install question

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by DD2000GT, Feb 9, 2006.

1. DD2000GT

DD2000GT Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 PRO w/ 16 pipes 540/1180
    I got the Zalman cooler installed on my ATI X850 Pro card, as well as the cheezy memory heat sinks. My question is this - the power connector for the Zalman fan does not fit my ATI card fan connector. Of course they send a multi-connector cable to break out power from the main computer power harness, but then my ATI card cannot control the fan speed. Is this normal? How does the fan keep the card cooler if it never speeds up as heat increases? I ran the ATI Tool 3d graphic and my temps just kept climbing until I shut it down at 70.

So far, I am not too impressed with this cooler. Anybody else get around this?

TIA,
    Dan

2. The fan works flawlessly the way it was intended to be. When you have that cooler installed you really have to need to change the fan speed on the fly because it is so much more efficient than the stock solution. If you want it to spin at it's fastest setting just make sure you plug it into one of the black power connectors.

3. DD2000GT

DD2000GT Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 PRO w/ 16 pipes 540/1180
    Anybody???

Come on guys - I can't believe NO ONE has addressed this issue with as many people who have this cooler. Sure, you can run the fan at full speed 24/7 - but WHY? I guess I will go out to Radio Shack today and see if I can find the small 3 pin connectors the stock X850 card uses for fan control and mate it with the larger 3 pin connector that goes to the fan. I would prefer to have it running in quiet mode most of the time, then speed up as needed based on temps without having to open my freakin' case back up every time to switch the connectors... I can't believe a quality company like Zalman hasn't addressed this and sell an adaptor cable or something.

Oh - did I say that the cheesy ram heatsinks are a joke? I cleaned my ram per their instructions and the bottom ones fell off within 24 hours, now I have to buy thermal adhesive as well - sheesh!

Dan