xp1800 + videocard?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Kaiji, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Kaiji

Kaiji Member

My ti4200 died a week ago :(
    so right now I'm using my old one(mx420). I tried to play some games and they run really bad. I tried call of duty 2,which it looked ok on ti4200, but on mx420 @#!$!%!%!@
    I'm afraid to run cs source...
    I know I have an old cpu, but I can't change it bc my stupid mobo doesn't support better cpus.
    so what I want to know is that what videocard would be better for my cpu?
    I think if I buy 6600, then it's a waste of money. right?
    what videocard will be the perfect match for my cpu? considering the price and performance.

2. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    hmmmm, your xp1800 will bottleneck any Geforce 6 series cards.. But the 6600 will be a good choice if you dont want to upgrade your whole system ;)

3. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    yeah, a normal 6600 would be OK, you might be held back a bit bu your cpu, but not enough to worry about imho

be sure to get a 128 bit card, there are a few 64 bit 6600's out there

4. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    lol I'm running a ti4200 on my XP 1700 atm, still rocks.
    Are you sure your mobo won't let you get a better cpu? If your 1800 is running with an fsb of 266 then it would be logical that your motherboard should support up to an XP 2400, as these were made with 266 fsb as well. You might need a bios upgrade in order to do so though.

5. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    yes the 6600 "vanilla" is good but may bottle neck ure system altho mines int that bad any more after a better mobo and ram mine works well with a rubishy celeron

6. The way i do it is that you try to find a GPU that closly matches the price of your CPU

7. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

....that method is stupid cart dog.

any mobo that can support 1800+ can support up to 2600 via multiplier change

8. lol, worked for me m8 :)

9. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

lol, i doubt it.. the lower athlons do actually have untapped power when it comes to gaming :p

10. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    lol yeah i can see that with the double GTX's :p

anyway, if you were to tax his current cpu, hed end up with a radeon 9550 or so :p his cpu == sempron 2200 which doesnt cost squat if you can even find one

im still recommending a nice 6600

11. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, at least a better card will let you use some AA & AF without a performance hit

12. Kaiji

Kaiji Member

thank you guys!
    6600...yes... that's the one!
    And I'm sorry. I know my mobo support better cpus, but what I meant was I don't want to buy 2600, bc I think if I want to upgrade cpu, it's better to buy a new mobo with xp 3000 or plus, and I don't have money for that so that's why I'm not upgrading it.

13. EarSh0t

EarSh0t Member

GPU:
    GeCube X1950Pro 256mb AGP
    ^ im in the same postion as you..im planing on upgradeing my whole system here in a few months, i made the same decision as you, just got anew video card, the 6600 will do you great.