Battlefield 2 keeps on crahsing

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Russo, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Russo

Russo Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT OC
    Hey guys... its been a while since i've posted. I finally got internet that i can call my own though. Finally got a gig of ram too. I'm having a problem with my BF2... It crashes without any error to windows :( again here are my system specs:

• Athlon 3500+ Venice
      BFG 6800 GT OC
      1GB Corsair 3200C2 Ram (2-3-3-6 1T) Dual channel 2x512
      Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
      NeoPlatinum 2 Mobo

Right now to make sure everything will work okay i've relaxed everything... meaning no OC on nothing. Granted this means my Graphics are still at 370 vs 350 but thats not much at all. Anyway just to make sure... i'm gonna up the rams voltage. I did just get it recently and just started playing BF2 today...

As always i love to hear from you guys

2. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 6800 Ultra 425/1120
    You using latest 81.98 drivers from nVidia?

You using compatible chipset drivers for the mobo?

I woudln't bother with VDDR but you might think about increase Vcore a notch,

What does the BSOD say? Does it send an error report to MS? Often the answer can pinpoint the problem (or even the BSOD itself).

3. Russo

Russo Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT OC
    NO BSOD!!! Just kicks me to desktop... running 2.8 on ram and +5% on VID for cpu... that shoudl be enough.

4. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hmm... does it do this only in multiplayer, or does it do it in single player too?

If it's just multiplayer, it might not like the firewall or similar problem with the internet.

You might try posting on the BF2 forum at eagames.com.

5. Russo

Russo Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT OC
    I used an old trick i knew in an attempt to give BF2 the shaft... I made it run at low priority...

Unfortunately... the problem worsened now the computer resets itself... I've done spyware/virus check... and nothing... Still poking around for sollution running all possible tests will report back tommorow :(

6. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    look carefully at your running process, might be something gonig wrong wid o/s you never know. dats if the temps and everything else on gpu etc are fine

7. Russo

Russo Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT OC
    Comp checks out okay!!! Thats the good news... I ran a CPU Stress test... SO CPU and ram are okay... GFX Card should also be okay. Anyway i dunno how good you guys are with minidump but i actually learned alot poking around event viewer... Windows has logs too!!! Maybe she's not as evil as we linux folk first thought ;)

SO I'm happy to say i know whats wrong and would love very much to hear your input :D I always get a good feeling when i get to the bottom of something especially to this extent. I dled the microsoft debugging tools... which i now highly recommend for everyone with such problems... ;) So check this out... everything is there!!! i was in shock just like linux black on white... exactly which module arsed itself and so on!!!

Loading Dump File [C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini020106-01.dmp]
    Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: *** Invalid ***
    ****************************************************************************
    * Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path. *
    * Use .symfix to have the debugger choose a symbol path. *
    * After setting your symbol path, use .reload to refresh symbol locations. *
    ****************************************************************************
    Executable search path is:
    * Symbols can not be loaded because symbol path is not initialized. *
    * The Symbol Path can be set by: *
    * using the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable. *
    * using the -y <symbol_path> argument when starting the debugger. *
    * using .sympath and .sympath+ *
    Unable to load image ntoskrnl.exe, Win32 error 2
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
    Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 2) UP Free x86 compatible
    Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
    Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x805531a0
    Debug session time: Wed Feb 1 00:15:45.796 2006 (GMT+1)
    System Uptime: 0 days 0:37:41.412
    * Symbols can not be loaded because symbol path is not initialized. *
    * The Symbol Path can be set by: *
    * using the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable. *
    * using the -y <symbol_path> argument when starting the debugger. *
    * using .sympath and .sympath+ *
    Unable to load image ntoskrnl.exe, Win32 error 2
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
    Loading Kernel Symbols
    ...................................................................................................................................
    Loading User Symbols
    Loading unloaded module list
    Unable to load image portcls.sys, Win32 error 2
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for portcls.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for portcls.sys
    *******************************************************************************
    * Bugcheck Analysis *
    *******************************************************************************

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 100000D1, {2, 2, 0, f57da1ef}

***** Kernel symbols are WRONG. Please fix symbols to do analysis.

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ctaud2k.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ctaud2k.sys
    Probably caused by : portcls.sys ( portcls+11ef )

Now thats what they look like... I got a laugh from seeing that microsoft has an Xfree 86 compatible kernel!!! LOL :D maybe they should switch to xorg and then BF2 will run smoother :D

/linux jokes off

now that was the first file of 3... first dump of 3 rather... there is already a very, very important note there... do you see it... look closer "WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ctaud2k.sys"

Hmm... whats that there... without googling one can say to himself... which of russo's hardware pieces has a company with a C and a T and has a device name of AUD2. :D Why i'll be damned... its the good old Audigy 2 ZS... from the good old folks at Creative!

The next dump was similar and complained of a ha10kx2k.sys which with the help of google explained that this is a shared SB Audigy and SB Live! Driver :D

And the 3rd error was window's module loader... ntoskrnl.exe

ANYWAY: I want some suggestions as to what the best way to fully erase everything for the audigy and reinstalling... is driver cleaner enough?

8. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    There's only one way to find out for sure. Driver Cleaner Pro, perhaps?

I've been told there's a CTHELP.EXE that Creative sound card disks generally install - it's just a debug tool that has no practical purpose, so if you spot it get rid of it.

Could be wrong on that, but I really don't think so.

9. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    There's probably something wrong with your sound card drivers.

10. michealace82

michealace82 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X BFG GTX 285 OCE 1GB
    try emptying the C:\Documents and Settings\Russo\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache delete all the files, but leave the folders that fixed me up

11. Galaxy

Galaxy Member

GPU:
    Galaxy 7800GT 256MB DDR3
    i've got another prob. It seems that during games like FIFA05 i felt a little lag/pause for about 3-5 seconds then the game continues. So what is the prob here? I can assure that the GC is not overheated. Proc is 42C(stck cooler running at 5100rpm), GC at 55C.

So is there any remedies for me? the 3DMark05 was 6717.

12. Russo

Russo Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT OC
    I tried that... it didnt work :(

I think i'm gonna format... BF2 is all this comp has... :D anyway i can't get creative to install cleanly so i'll do a fresh one.

13. dangerous

dangerous Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Club3D HD3870 : Sam226BW
    this is the main reason I don't wana buy xf-i, creative suk at drivers.Every creative s/c I had would conflict with other programs, it used to driveme mad.

14. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

CTHELP is not a debug file.. its what links the AudioHQ and the windows sound properties together so that setting to 5.1 in either sets is to 5.1 in the other.. disabling this stops this from happenening and is best removed.. as some 5.1 games actually set the windows properties back to 2 or quad channel, which does the same in the audiohq properties

15. Russo

Russo Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT OC
    how should i go about removing it? I can't just uninstall cthelp? Or should i kill it in msconfig?

16. miniYo

miniYo Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GTX 256Mb
    iĀ“had similar problems..
    i resolve it using diferents graphic drivers, i think i changed some things on device panel or properties. like mipmaps or something like this

17. Russo

Russo Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT OC
    its not all creative... i'm starting to think i need better video driver too. What driver you running?

18. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, that should do it. Uncheck the tickbox in MSCONFIG startup section and it doesn't run, letting DirectX control the sound side.

Could well be wrong about the DirectX controlling sound bit, but I've definitely seen it as one BF2 fix.

The BF2 forum is just full of people with problems and fixes!

Oh yeah, make sure you've downloaded the latest patch for BF2 as well. 1.12 is a b1tch to install, often you have to do it several times before you get a "patching successful" message.

I'm using official nVidia 81.98. HOWEVER, when you do the download, you will see that there is a different version for 78GT cards than GForce - that could be your problem right there.

Do you even get to the logon screen? If not, I'd suspect a driver/DirectX/patch problem at your end.

19. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
  20. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    The new driver from creative fixes the bf2 hardware sound option, use online update drivers from creative to d/l them, also when your pc crashes in bf2 does it make a high pitched noise.