Overvolting 6600GT

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by RejZoR, Jan 26, 2006.

1. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Ok, i'm kinda new to overvolting (via bios flash) but not new to overclocking.

Stock 6600GT:
    [​IMG]

Preview overvolting:
    [​IMG]

Ok, by default i can only select between 1.3V and 1.4V for 3D mode.
    So i used Voltage Table and re-adjust VID 03 from 1.4 to 1.42V (for starters to see how far will freq. go now).

Is this correct? Or should i do something else (specifically?) along with this change? Whats the maximal safe voltage for stock cooling on this Gainward 6600GT (it has active aluminium cooler, covering GPU and all 4 memory modules).
    GPU overcloking stopped at 575MHz, but i want to pull out 600MHz for 3D. Extra 25MHz shouldn't require that much extra voltage right?
    Also should i worry since Integrity indicator changes to yellow after BIOS modification? I mean i understand that BIOS changed and so does checksum but any reason to worry about anything regarding this thingie?

Another thing i heard is some VGABIOS tool that gives you option to test new bios settings without actually flashing the card. Where can i get this tool and if is it true that it can do such thing? Google doesn't give me anything extra useful or even a DL link...

If not, which flashing tool you recommend for flashing job (the most reliable one)?

I have so many questions because i want to be really sure about these things before actually doing it.
    Thx

2. zweef_jr

zweef_jr Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX480
    extending the voltage table of the 6600 gt doesn't work because the 6600gt only supports up to 1.4V in the voltagetable.

i allso have tried it and it didn't work.

the only way you can get more than 1.4V on the gpu is by doing a hard voltmod.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    So you say changing (not adding) voltage here:
    [​IMG]

Doesn't work?

EDIT:
    I found VGABIOS tool but i can't find any documentation on it.
    People say it won't run on XP, but i can launch it just fine via CMD.
    Still can't find what exactly this tool does...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  4. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    What happened when you flashed it with changed voltages? Dead? Or just no difference? Coz if there was no diffrenece i'd try anyway...

5. zweef_jr

zweef_jr Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX480
    changing the voltagetable as in th pictures doesn't work for the 6600gt, the max voltage that the 6600gt supports in the bios/voltagetable is 1.4V.

i have tried exactly what you have done and it didn't work.

@RejZoR

no, nothing will happen because 1.4V is the max for the 6600gt bios, it doesn't matter if you add 12V to the voltagetable it will still be 1.4V.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Damn. I can't do a hard mod because i don't have equipement to properly solder stuff on it. Guess i'll try timings then...

7. halo112358

halo112358 New Member

GPU:
    all your
    Hey there,

What you're doing with NiBiTor is changing the reported voltage for the different power states on the card. You're not actually changing the voltage, you're changing what the card reports to software drivers. I tried to find a way to overvolt my 6600 a month or two ago and found that you simply can't do it in software.

I managed to push my 6600gt to ~580/1230 on stock volts, it looks like you're around the same point.

If you're after more performance you'll gain some measure of stability by upgrading to a more powerful psu, and you'll see a sizeable performance gain by adding another 512mb of ram.

8. Einherjar

Einherjar Member Guru

GPU:
    Winfast GeForce 6600TD 500/650
    There is one chance for you. Since there is a bunch of bioses outside, you should try to find the one, that has bios modded for higher performance ie. voltage table to 1.5V.
    Maybe some Asus TOP model, MSI pre-overclocked, Turbo and something. I did this for my 6600 and suddenly it overclocked 75Mhz more on the core.
    HINT: *******

Aja, drugače pa pozdravljen Rejzor!

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    I see you have normal 6600. Any hint on where i can get such BIOS? Which one did you used (company)?

10. Einherjar

Einherjar Member Guru

GPU:
    Winfast GeForce 6600TD 500/650
    I used Sparkle bios on my card (cant set voltages in bios, but it is 1.4V in hardware and bios, with other bios-es it is 1.3V).

The site is M V K T E C H . N E T, it is banned here, dont ask me why.

11. zweef_jr

zweef_jr Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX480
    i will say it again, it isn't possible.

it doesn't matter what voltages are in the voltage table of the bios.
    the 6600gt only supports max 1.4V through the voltage table in the bios.

the only way is a hard mod.

and if there is a diffirend bios form a other card that has a higher voltage then
    it will only work on that card.

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Aha i know this page :) Any way to check voltages before flashing?
    I guess i can do with NiBiTor right? So i won't flash bios with same voltages...
    I'll check Sparkle ones then :)

EDIT:
    Eh, yeah you could do it since you have 6600 Vanilla. I'm already at 1,4 V using stock setup...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  13. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Do a pencil mod, just google it. Very easy to do. Just make sure you got a volt/multi meter handy