7800GTX core locked?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by M pro, Jan 28, 2006.

1. M pro

M pro Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 295 V2
    Well I have installed an Arctic Cooling Rev.3 for my 7800GTX and the card is running nice and cool at around 34c overclocked at 526/1350

Now the problem I have is my core will not go past 526mhz…

If I use powerstrip to push it just 1 mhz higher at 527mhz my card slows to half the speed even though it reads 527mhz when testing the card only performs at half the speed

Sooo does anyone have any idea’s as to why I can’t get past 526mhz even though my temps are good.

A lock in the video bios maybe?

Or something I’m missing

2. ckyal1ty

ckyal1ty Member

GPU:
    Asus V9999GT 256MB GDDR3 @ Ultra
    It's not only about temperature. Transistors have a hold and set up time, and you can be violating it with such a high frequency.

3. M pro

M pro Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 295 V2
    If thats the case wouldnt all the othere owners of 7800gtx have problems going past 526?

I've seen some hit 540mhz but how?

4. general_koffi

general_koffi Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD4870 512MB
    No, there's no limit artificially imposed on the clock, as such.

It could be a lack of voltage or just the limit for your card's transistors.

If you really wanted to go higher, you could try voltmodding the core.

5. ckyal1ty

ckyal1ty Member

GPU:
    Asus V9999GT 256MB GDDR3 @ Ultra
    There aren't 2 chips exactly equal. As you know, the max overclock you reach is often down to "luck", ie: quality of the transistors. Your transistors may have a little worse quality than the ones that can reach 540 MHz. I could only overclock my P4 2.4 to 2.9, but others with my very same CPU reached 3.1. Increasing the voltage might help the transistors to get the right logical levels, but it will reduce the life of the card.

6. Xaser04

Xaser04 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE UV
    Well your card is already 96mhz over stock clocks so you have probably found the max the core can handle on stock frequencies.

Why run it so high anyway. I doubt you would notice much difference from 500-526mhz anyway in game.