HL2 Stuttering

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by BloodyBlade, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Valuga

Valuga Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATi Radon HD4870
    LoL for all thouse who says HL2 needs low memory aint correct :p becos my friend did run HL2 on 1.5GHz and with some old hi teck video card :p with 512DDR it did go on minimum with 2.0DDR it did go on high xD (404 moral not found)

2. outbreak123

outbreak123 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr V
    with my old card, i can still play it at high.. and no shuttering..

3. Pain_xx

Pain_xx New Member

GPU:
    BFG / 6800 GT OC / 256 meg
    Maybe some one can help here. I have read the tweakguide on setting things up in the config file. My question is, that alot of the settings are not listed in the config file. So how can i add a change when the command line isnt even there. Do i actually add the line in the config file and then make the change. I am having alot of stuttering in my game, kinda pissing me off.

System Specs.

P4 3.0 800 fsb
    Intel Motherboard
    865PE chipset
    BFG 6800GT OC
    1.5 gig ddr
    160 gig HD
    Sound Blaster 5.1
    480 PS
    All drivers are up to date.

My system can more than handle HL2, i play Doom3 and other games with no issues. Any help would be appreciated.

4. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    a driver issue would be my guess...those are pretty common with nvidia, but thats just my guess and if im wrong heres a good amount of resources you can use

http://forums.steampowered.com/foru...=3495994&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

5. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    It is something they updated, I had a 6800GT and it ran great, downgraded to a 6600GT and it ran great to, I ran the game for the 1st time in about 4 months and bam, the stuttering at any detail setting, when its not stuttering, its getting an awesome frame rate so it aint the card, something is messed up I agree. I have 1.5Gb of ram, 2 HD's with large pagefiles, GJ valve team on your untested updates you like to do.

6. yaleblor

yaleblor Guest

GPU:
    770gtx 2gb
  7. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Yep I have had stuttering sound at the beginning and load screens with both of my nvidia cards. I have tried different drivers too. Nothing seems to work with halflife. I can play css at highest resolution with 2aa/4af/1028x768 and never loose any fps.

8. MechWarrior

MechWarrior Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Classified Sli OC
    Woaahhhh guys... Hold up one minute.

For the most part the stuttering Isn't caused by your rigs. I used to have a Radeon 9700pro with a gig of ram and and Athlon XP 2800+. When I first bought the game there was a slight stuttering problem that pretty much everyone who bought the game experienced (not nearly as bad as the current one). Valve updated half life 2 and after a month or so the game was fine. I was able to play the game at High settings at 1024X768 with 4X AA and 4X AF without the slightest hitch. Recently (september 23, 2005 to be exact) valve introduced and update to steam witch causes the game to stutter every time it loads a sound. This happens regardless of system specs for the most part. Several users on the steam forum where able to create files that you load into the game using the ingame console. These files preload all neccesary textures for whatever level you are playing. This helps the problem alot. Look up the particular thread on the steam forums or make a post asking about the "Maldo stuttering fix". Now I recently upgrade my graphics card to a Geforce 6800 GS (AGP version) thats OC'd to GF 6800 Ultra speeds and I added and extra 512mb of ram to my system. I have'nt installed HL2 to try it out. But when I get a chance I'll install it and see if the stuttering goes away with my new video card and ram.

9. LAN*bowL

LAN*bowL Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix gtx1080
    95% of stuttering in modern games is due to lack of ram.
    ugrade your ram and BLAAAMMM!!!!... problem solved

dont listen to anyone who says they run hiccup free with only 512mb.
    512mb=massive hiccups
    1gb.... still hiccups (even in hl2... very minor)
    2gb=hiccup free

the other 5% of stuttering is normal (from quicksaves or background programs)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  10. dark_cs

dark_cs Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 512
    That my friend, is bull *sh**.
    Hundreds of people with the hl2 stuttering have over 1GB of ram, not to mention if you have 1GB of RAM, HL2 never uses over 65% of free RAM anyway. It makes no difference adding more.
    The REAL stuttering issue is caused by AGP texture thashing and can't be solved by adding system RAM. People who say "I found out my comp was overheating, fixed it, doesn't stutter, I got rid of lots of spyware and it ran great, I closed down Norton and it ran fine", etc - were different issues.

I have 3 sticks of 512MB RAM and I still have the stuttering. It's just as bad if I take out the 3 and leave my highest quality stick in, it doesn't stutter more or less.

So, I'm going to say :
    'ugrade your ram and BLAAAMMM!!!!... problem solved"

FALSE, FALSE and FALSE.

11. Jerms

Jerms Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT
    OK, I'm a little frustrated as most of you with the now imfamous stuttering!!!
    When I first bought HF2 over a year ago, I had absolutely no stuttering whatsoever except after an auto-save here and there. I hadn't played the game for a while now but decided to go through it again. Bam! Whats this stuttering? Seems that after the so called update patch to fix stuttering, it actually gave me stuttering. What's crap is that it also is in CS:Source now too. I've read some people don't get it in Counter-strike even though it exists in thier HF2 game. I got it in both!!! I've tried many of the tweaks and console commands to no avail. I've read that its something to do with loading sounds within the level. Since I've already finished HF2, I'm not as upset with it in that game, but that it is occuring in CS:Source is really depressing me. Is it the sound skipping thing that is what everyone means by stuttering?

Thanks,

Jeremy

12. Jerms

Jerms Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT
    By the way, this occurs with both the onboard sound and Soundblaster Live card. I tried both. Still there!!! GRRRRR

13. LAN*bowL

LAN*bowL Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix gtx1080
    check your system settings (bios) and make sure your vram is not set to 64mb

14. phatbx133

phatbx133 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB
    1. 512MB still ok but...try go to BIOS menu for memory timings set to optimal.

2. IN bios menu, try set AGP aperture size to 128 or 256

3. try update some drivers like 77.77 whql upward to 81.98 also use Driver Cleaner Pro 1.3

4. try underclocked your 6600GT

5. try update onboard realtek drivers

6. In Control Panel at System, go Advanced and go Virtual Memory screen and click to "SYSTEM MANAGED SIZE"

7. open your eyes, Check your TASK MANAGER to see how many PROCESSES running in background. try cut it down to around 14 to 16 processes running. (mine running only 14 to 16 all the times.)

8. run defrag ,anti-virus ,adware, etc....also make sure you need least 10GB free space in order to play smooth.

9. if all above no help, I will bring my slegehammer bust your pc, lol just kidding.

10. BAM ! time for you NUKE your XP all over again, backup everything before you do that also after install XP, do update SP2, all update drivers in order.

GL

Peace

15. Jerms

Jerms Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT
    Thanks for the advice but I have done all of those things to no avail. Like I said before, when I first bought it there was no problems at all, only after this new update did the stuttering begin. Not sure if a reinstll of XP will do anything but I might try that. I'm running 82.12 drivers so thats not an issue. Mabey I should revert back to the drivers from when the game first came out? That would be strange if that worked.

16. MechWarrior

MechWarrior Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Classified Sli OC
    A possible fix for the stutter is to open the ingame command console and type "soundlist" without the quotes (during actual game play). I haven't tried it yet in HL2, but it does work for CS:Source. Even though CSS seems to have much less stutter and it goes away after playing for a round or 2. I think the stutter in CSS isn't as bad as HL2 because CSS doesn't have to load as many sounds (not sure about this). Anyways if you choose to try the "soundlist" command beware that after you enter the command your game will freeze and whatever sound is currently playing repeats for around 30-60 seconds. This is normal and is just the game loading all of the sounds so don't Ctrl-Alt-Del out of the game or restart your system.

17. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware 0/1
    cl_forcepreload 0/1

Try them...

18. leaderbean

leaderbean Member

GPU:
    ATI X850XT AGP, OC to PE
    he'res what helped me when HL2 first came out:

-upgrade to 1GB- huge difference

-use PCI tool 2.0 and set the latency to either 64 or 128 (128 was better for me) this will improve sounds stuttering and minor hickups, PCI tool is very underrated, its free and helps in all kinds of games!
    try that out

-have your appature to at least 128-256

-defrag and all that good stuff too

-go to the launch properties in steam for all your source games and type: -console -heapsize 256000
    if you get an extra 512MB change to -console -heapsize 512000
    but make sure you always have half of your ram free, this will dedicate at least that much ram just for any source game you apply it too