Buying a 5.1 system

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by MrJones, Jan 12, 2006.

1. MrJones

MrJones Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS
    Hi, I want to buy a 5.1 speaker system, mainly to watch movies, play games and also for listening to music as I don't have a hi-fi system or anything else and my 2W plastic speakers aren't enough really....
    Now, I saw a Jazz 5.1, the HM050 B (actually, I found it in the Ozaki web, not Jazz, but the store I entered had it as a Jazz....) with 136W RMS, but I think it doesn't have Dolby Digital or DTS. Then I found on the web an Edifier, the 501 something I think it was, with only 62W RMS, but with both Dolby Digital and DTS-ready.
    They're around the same price. Which one you think I should buy?
    Or, what brands and/or models are good if not these two? And, do I really need Dolby and DTS for movies, will the sound be really different (I think so, but I really don't know).
    My room is around 10" by 8", what wattage you think is enough for the space, I don't want to fall short, but I don't want to blow up the house either.
    Oh, I have a Realtek AC850 onboard my ASUS A8V-Deluxe btw.
    Hope you can haelp me, Thanks!

2. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    its nt about wattage, its about sound quality
    what are you looking to spend?
    imho, Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 is the best
    Logitech's z5500 is pretty nice too.

3. MrJones

MrJones Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS
    What do you think about the Genius GHT-S200??
    web: http://www.geniusnet.com.tw/product/product-1.asp?pdtno=587
    I have a few Genius things, keyboard, joystick, and such, but I have no idea how are their speakers.
    I know i should prefer quality, nm+, but how can I measure that?? I think the only way is to listen to the speakers, that's it.
    Unfortunately, the Klipsch is not for sale where I live and the only thing near the Z5500 is the Z5450, but it's $750..... a bit too much for me.
    I'm really looking for a Digital system, as I really don't see the point of having 6 speakers with no surround sound effects.....
    Again, the Genius is not very cheap, but I'd like to know if any of you know how it sounds. By the stats on their site, it looks pretty cool. Don't know about the signal to noise ratio (66db) should that be higher for a good quality??

4. k4t4n4

k4t4n4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    B
    where you from MrJones? I find it hard to believe that the Z5500 are not available at your place

5. RocketDogg

RocketDogg Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 6850
  6. MrJones

MrJones Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS
    Y'all seem to think the Z-5500 is pretty good, too bad. Well, a friend who knows a lot about audio told me the Sony HT-DDW670 is pretty good for the money, here (Argentina) it's $400 btw. It supports Dolby and DTS, now.... he told me my soundcard must support these digital formats for the effects to take place (ear-candy??), I have the Realtek ALC850 onbroard, does it have Dolby and DTS???? How can I know that??? Neither ASUS nor Realtek in their sites mention it. Just to know, because it'd be pointless to have a digital amp, without a digital card.......

7. k4t4n4

k4t4n4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    B
    Actually, the digital part is the least interesting about the Z5500

8. El1jonmc

El1jonmc Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1060 3GB OC
    Logitech Z-5500.....are awsome :)

9. MrJones

MrJones Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS
    well, i have a short question, is VT8237 the same as VT8237R???, because the VIA site only has the latest one, while my mobo has the first one. If it's the same then i CAN have 8 channels and DTS, but if it's not....... that's another couple of hundreds on a new sound card...... which I actually don't want to spend.
    I'm buying the Sony HT-DDW670 (or Sony HT-DDW870 if i can make it) so, I'd like to know if my mobo is compatible with it. If not you know any good soundcard that is??

Thanks, really

10. parodius4

parodius4 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 7900GT TOP
    Hi MrJones,

I don't know which currency you mean when you say a couple of hundreds for the soundcard?

Here's my opinion:
    I think you should by all means get a new soundcard because then you have all the features you need for games and movies like e.g. Advanced EAX which I think the AC850 doesn't have. You also get better sound-quality, some fps more in games and better software to configure your surround-system (e.g. surround upmix for stereo files via soundcard, so no need to get speakers with a built-in upmix function).

I picked up a soundblaster audigy4 which is great and has everything I need and it cost me around 50 Euros.
    Try to get solid, well-balanced speakers with 2-way satellites and without too much unnecessary features and adjust everything in the soundcard driver.

parodius

11. bamf

bamf New Member

do you know "teufel.de"? its a german manufactor offering excellent systems for less money. a friend of me has the entry model "concept e" for 99.-eur (about 120.-$). they ship around the world, but this could be expensive - the website in english should come soon. you get also a 7.1 system for about 300.-eur.

12. parodius4

parodius4 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 7900GT TOP
    Hi,
    I utterly subscribe to bamf's opinion. I received my Teufel Concept E Magnum (that is basically a normal concept e, but with more output power, a double center speaker and a remote-control) last week for 158Euros (incl. shipping within Germany) and I must say it's really very good. The bass shakes the floor - you can't imagine the fun it adds to games - and the satellites are good enough for decent hi-fi reproduction.
    I think the thing with surround-systems is that if you come from a normal stereo system or even ordinary pc-speakers, any half-way decent 5.1 system makes you go "whoaa" when listening to the first time, but especially when it comes to music you will know the difference a well-balanced system makes. I had a Wavemaster RX-5 before and I must say it was bad compared to the Teufel; of course, you can still go much further qualitywise, if you have the money.

A Soundblaster Audigy2Zs or Audigy4 (both around 50 - 60 Euros, bulk version or ebay) and a decent 5.1 system (100 - 150 Euros) is a great combination and surely worth the money.

parodius

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006