Choppy performance 7800GT

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by sakke, Jan 13, 2006.

1. sakke

sakke Member

GPU:
    (ATI/x800GTO2/256Mb)@598/596 Mhz
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] I recently bought a 7800GT from newegg. Personally, I'm very unhappy with it. This is the first time I've ever bought a GeForce 7 series card and I dont think any of them are like this. It happens in numerous cases: NFS:Most Wanted(full graphics 1024x768), it will go at about 60fps for a while... then sudenly 12, it will go back up, and down, etc. My old 6800 played it faster than this. The same thing happens with fear. Whenever I enter a new room, it starts to bog down. Im beginning to imagine the only thing this card is good for is just using 2d functions. My specs are:
    ---
    ECS 915P-A Motherboard
    P4 3.23GHz HT proc
    1G DDR Geil RAM
    7800GT
    ---
    Im running the BIOS it shipped with and drivers 83.10
    Any ideas on how fix this?
    [/FONT]

2. Dethred

Dethred Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATI HD4870x2
    If you still have a 300 watt PSU that would be a good place to start. Need at least 24A 12volt rail 450watt Power Supply.

3. Kuslack

Kuslack Member

GPU:
    Leadek Winfast PX7800 GTX
    Yeah i would have to agree with Dethred, a 300 watter doesnt have the pulling power its like trying to power a microwave with a gerbal in a wheel its just lacking balls, upgrade and im sure itll fix all your problems

4. sakke

sakke Member

GPU:
    I stuck in a 420watt I had laying around. I upgraded the BIOS on the card. Do you think 420watt still isnt enough? Ill have to buy another one . Thanks for your help. I hope I get this to work.

5. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    Try installing the latest Official Nvidia drivers ;)

6. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    sounds like a temp problem to me, how hot is the card running when you are playing games like FEAR, NFS most wanted ? 420w should be fine.

7. darknight909

darknight909 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    whats the brand of the psu

make sure you have a decent psu

8. sakke

sakke Member

GPU:
    I just bought a new PSU. 500 watt Antec. It seems that it was just that game, because now it plays BW2 just fine. it goes up to about 60 when playing games, is that too hot? I'll try the latest "official" NVidia drivers, then. Thanks for the help, guys.

9. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    I would agree that 300W seems a bit light but.............

my 400W PSU would seem light too and my OCd 7800GT is not restraned by my PSU at all.

Mind you, the G70series requires (if I'm not wring) less power then the nv40 series?!

Anyway, you could very well be right about the PSU but that would have more to do with how much amps the PSU can deliver on the 12v line indeed.

And since there are PSU's with different phylosphies(ai, spelled wrong?:)) concerning where to put the weight (5v/3.3v or 12v) it's certainly not an open and shut case that his card performs like crap because of his PSU.

Maybe it's the fact that he has 'a mear p4' :) ????

BTW. the fact that he has a P4, doesn't that slurp power from the 12v line?:) would in turn possibly support the light PSU statement.
    If you have the possibility to try a more powerfull PSU from someone else, try it first before you buy one I'd suggest.

BTW2. ah, I see I'm a bit late with my reaction, I'm tapping myself on the head right now to tell myself I should read the whole thread before I start my rant:)
    Anyway, turns out it was not the PSU I gather from what was written and that means it's probably the CPU which just doesn't offer enough power for this game?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  10. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    60 is not too hot, I gather you mean the GPU?:)

11. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    dont use the beta drivers, use the official whql release drivers. and a better power supply.

12. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    reading what has been written you seem like a PSU pusher:) and I've been using non-whql drivers on and of (depens on what's newer) and haven't experienced such problems.

It's very likely that his cpu in combination with the GPU just don't offer enough power for NFSMW.

13. XsBones

XsBones New Member

GPU:
    Bfg 7800 gt 256 duals
    I had to get a bigger psu to get my stuff running and i had a 5oo watt psu and went to a coolmax 650 and it made a world of difference. I had probs with games carshing all the time. Now i dont. I have dual 7800 gt and a8n32-sli board.

14. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    That's great for you but that doesn't mean every performance-issue is a PSU issue.

The fact that a PC with 2 G70 GPU's needs more power than a PC with 1 G70 gpu is not worth a discussion because it is fact but still doesn't mean that any performanceproblem is PSU related.

Stating that a performanceproblem is PSU related is like stating that if one owns a goldfish one is gay.

It certaily is a possibility but nothing more then that!

15. Cycloid

Cycloid Master Guru

GPU:
    2x256MB Geforce 7800GTs in SLi
    Newest games, highest settings, sudden hitches = GET MORE RAM!

I had same problems when running games at MAX settings my card can handle and hitches aplenty. I upgraded my RAM to 2 GB and voila... No trouble anymore! :)

oh, PSU upgrade good idea regardless as you have gathered...

I do however think the 7800GT Quake 4 performance kinda sucks... I do not get anywhere near what some benchmarks claim to get. But that is another thread altogether! :(

16. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    I second this.

17. sakke

sakke Member

GPU:
    Well, every game seems to work but that one. I OC'ed it a little bit with a new Zalman fan, and now it reached 7000 on 3dmark05. My new Antec doesn't seem to help much, but I figure it'll be better if I want to get anything else in the future. I'm planning on taking my current CPU/Mo'bo back to Fry's and another, better one.

18. repapips2004

repapips2004 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek A6600GT 128MB @ 500/1000
    Its ur PSU... the 6600GT minimum psu requirement is 350w with at least 18amps for a +12v. But sometimes 14+amps is tolerable.

I dont think it will be the same with 7800GT your card needs a lot of power than 6600GT, so your 300w PSU will not be able to supply enough power for your card. Also NFS: Most Wanted is a very heavy game in graphics. Thats the game i reached the highest load temp on my card 83C. The other is just under 75C.

19. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    dude, read the thread and see he got a 500w antec. Before I stated the problem doesn't have to be PSU related and now he's got the 500w antec and NFSMW still performs like crap that's proven so it seams!

I run my system with a 400W PSU and am definatly not PSU limited (tried a 600+ PSU and it didn't make an f-ing difference)

Look at my systemspecs and be amazed at what a 400W PSU can keep running in good order!

There is a difference between a PSU and a good PSU dude, that's more important than a 'big' PSU!!!!!!

20. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    It might indeed as I stated just be your CPU. My 7800GT allready did 8100+ 3dmark05 points on a Venice 3200+@2400Mhz

Don't get me wrong, 3dmark scores are not the holy grail but with an increase in 3dmark05 going from 3200@2400 to x2 4400@2700 I also saw NFSMF performance go up as well as performance in other games.

It's no secret that the AMD CPU's have the performance crown for gaming so I just put 1 together with 1 and guess your CPU is holding you back.