Refresh Rate Defaulting to 60hz

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools Generic Discussion' started by Drek, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Drek

Drek Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD2600 XT
    I've got a wierd problem since I updated my drivers and installed ATT. When I start up any Half-Life mod I'm stuck at 60fps. Now this is obviously related to refresh rate because when I minimize to desktop, then go back to the game, I go back to 100fps where I should be and everything works properly. Another, probably related problem is that when I use my aliases to take a screen shot, the functions that remove my hud don't work unless I minimize to desktop then go back to the game. Somehow when the game starts up my video settings aren't being applied I think, so I'm getting the default Windows settings.

What makes this even more odd is that I've tried every refresh rate setting that I've found in ATT, as well as using RefreshForce again, which I didn't think I would need to use again with ATT. Anyway, its driving me nuts, and I've wasted alot of time on it, so if someone has any idea what is going on, I would appreciate the help.

2. Drek

Drek Member

GPU:
    Ok, after much frigging around, I've come to the conclusion that this is another problem with Valve's ****'d up Steam... I'll see if I can find a solution on their forums...

3. Drek

Drek Member

GPU:
    I'm having this problem again, and it is somehow related to the latest Catalyst drivers and/or ATT. The problem went away for awhile, but after the last reinstall it has resurfaced. Any suggestions on a fix would be gratefully recieved.

edit: Actually there is a difference now. Minimizing and restoring Half-Life doesn't fix the problem anymore...

edit again: Well, just when I'm ready to throw my computer out the window... The maximums for the DDC in display settings weren't set to the proper settings. I'm guessing this is because my monitor doesn't support DDC? Anyway, I set them to their actual values, and hey presto, everything was fine...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  4. Hicks

Hicks Member

GPU:
    Club 3D 4670 AGP
    Put -freq 100 in the launch options for 100 Hz refresh rate.

5. Drek

Drek Member

GPU:
    I don't want it stuck at 100Hz, I want the highest refresh rate for whatever resolution I am at. Anyway, as I said, I found the solution and everything is working fine.