Boot CD to DOS

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Alexstarfire, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Well, I have an odd request that I need filled. Basically I don't have a floppy drive because I don't have the correct floppy cable. I would like to flash the BIOS of my video card, but can't find a program to do it in windows, not surprised. Since I can't use a Boot Disk I need a Boot CD, but I have no clue how to make/get one. I'd be grateful for any links and/or ideas.

2. Kyaner

Kyaner Hellenic Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 700/1680/1000
  3. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    The Windows CD may not do that properly, which is the repair console you're talking about?

This very same question was posted by a member of Bink.nu, and I am trying to help them do it as well.

You can make a bootable DOS CD by using the WinME boot image found here:

http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/winmebootcd.html

You can add the flash files to that CD before burning. However, the flashrom utility may not work properly, as it has no access to change anything from the CD.

If not, then go by Kyaner's post, and set the files on a USB key.

4. Alexstarfire

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    That'd be great if I had a thumb drive, but I don't. I'd just go get a freakin floppy cable before I bought a thumb drive. The flash utility should work properly since it's not necessary to change any of the files. I'll try the WinME boot image you posted and see how that goes. Thanks for the help. I'll post back some time tomorrow about what happened.

5. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600LE @ 430/490
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  6. CJ3D

CJ3D Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    If you have access to another PC with a floppy, you can:

Download a variety of bootdisks (MSDOS, PCDOS, Win9x, etc..) from www.bootdisk.com . The Win98SE boot disk should be fine.

Create the floppy disk, then copy your BIOS files onto it, then use Nero to create a Bootable CD, where you specify A: drive to grab the floppy image and burn it to CD.

*BUT* some BIOS updaters dont like Himem.sys in memory - which is required to load the CDROM driver and MSCDEX.EXE to allocate a drive letter. So what you need to do is remove the "DEVICE=" lines in CONFIG.SYS on the MSDOS boot disk, and tell Nero to use "HDD Emulation" in the Bootable CD project options.

7. CJ3D

CJ3D Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    Or just buy a cheap USB Floppy (you can get them for like $20).
    This way you dont have to muck around creating a bootable CD every time you wanna update the BIOS.

[​IMG]

This one is a 2x Floppy (it reads/writes standard 3.5" floppies two times faster than a standard floppy drive)
    http://www.yedata.com/products/floppydrives/usb2x.shtml

8. Elleomea

Elleomea Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Mobility 9000 (M9)
    The FreeDOS project provide bootable CD images.

9. Alexstarfire

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I could also just go buy the floppy cable for like $3 so I can use my existing floppy drive. The point was I didn't want to spend any money.

I used the method that Morpheous416 posted and it worked like a charm. It was actullay kind of funny to watch the CD burn because it took over a minute to write the lead-in and out and only 2 seconds to burn the data. Anyways, I flashed it perfectly fine. Now all I need to do is test and see how the flash worked. That'll probably be tomorrow since I have class today from 12:30 to 7:45.

10. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    Glad it worked out for ya Alex.

Bak, please tell me you didn't provide that one link cuz you pay $10 a month to see solutions to probs?

11. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600LE @ 430/490