Controlling the fans on a BFG 7800GT OC

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by EdwardAndo, Nov 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy_2q

tommy_2q New Member

alot of people have issues with their 7800gt fan running full speed. does anyone have a solution?

2. starstreak

starstreak Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia 280
    I'll try it once I get home, but I could've sworn the screens I was looking at was more difficult. Like it would say fan1, fan2 with no values. Not slider bars like in the sample setup. Maybe I was on the wrong screen

3. starstreak

starstreak Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia 280
    ok tried it. I found the screens with the fan settings. It's a no go. It worked once, then after that, it quit. doesn't control the fan speed any more.

4. jayuf

jayuf New Member

Married w/ kids = no free time = total noobness

So here's my discovery anyway:

Using RivaTuner to set my 2D and 3D settings, I noticed that my GPU fan would stay at the 3D mode fan speed, even when I thought no software should be using 3D mode.

Come to find out, iTunes was running minimized (as always) because I access the iTunes music share from other PCs and XBMCs. I shut down iTunes, the GPU goes back to 2D mode. So iTunes uses 3D mode for some reason. Weird.

Anyway, those with "stuck fan" issues might want to experiment with shutting down any software or services you have running in the background.

If there's a simpler way to know what software is using "3D mode", I'd sure like to know it.

5. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    The answer is in the RT FAQ. Going from memory..as I recall, Direct 3D, OpenGL, Direct draw, etc. Search the FAQ in RT Doc folder, the answer is there.

6. starstreak

starstreak Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia 280
    even then, by me telling it how to turn on my fan speed via temp should work and it doesn't. Worked once, but now it doesnt at all.

7. starstreak

starstreak Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia 280
    Ok heres a greater detail of my situation since I had time to type. It does seem like its making my 1st gpu quieter but the 2nd gpu is either stuck on high or at least 70%+ of speed.

Some things you should know to answer this. Everything is new. Antec p1800 quiet case, Asus A8N32-dlx mother board, AMD 2x 4400+ CPU, 2x1gig 3200 PNY RAM, 2x 256mb BFG 7800gt SLI, X-Fi Sound Blaster, 680w Thermaltake power supply and the usual hard drives CD-Rom etc. I am running 82.12 forceware drivers. I started with one video card and loaded windows XP Professional. Fan was stuck at 100%. Finished loading in windows and all updated drivers from Microsoft. I loaded in the new forceware and sound card drivers. Reboot. All ok. It even sounded like the GPU fan throttled down. It wasn’t much louder than the case fans. Installed the second card and the GPU fans are on “high speed”. And it’ll stay this way no matter if I’m in a video game or just letting my windows sit and do nothing. Forceware says my GPU #1 is at 54c and GPU#2 is at 51c. Which sounds cool (temp wise). In gaming it can hit about 65c+, or so as far as I noticed anyways.

I used RivaTuner and tried adjusting the fans manually to run faster at different temperature speeds. Now here’s the problem. I don’t think its at 100% anymore. At 100% fan speed the case gets MUCH LOUDER. But at the same time, the case should be a lot quieter. From what I can tell, GPU #1 (vid card closest to cpu) is throttling down to lets say 40% (which is what I tell RivaTuner to do) of full and the other is at 70%-100% (can’t tell because at this point because I forgot what 100% fan speed is with just one GPU in my system. I tried to hold up a card in front of one video card vs the other video card, and I CAN tell the GPU#2 seems to be stuck at a faster speed no matter what I tell RivaTuner to adjust the fan speed too.

HELP! If it weren’t for the GPU#2 fan, my system would be quiet. And I can’t easily take out the second GPU to test out my theory that having two GPU will make the second GPU fan stuck at a faster speed. Those graphic card clips aren’t easy to unclip unless I remove the whole motherboard to reach it.

8. Trojanman190

Trojanman190 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 570 GTX
    I guess RT does not support SLI mode for 7800s fan speeds.

I have a BFG 7800GTX and the noise is obscene. Ill be trying RT 15.8 tonight to see if it works.

9. MuratG

MuratG New Member

GPU:
    MSI 7800GT
    Well I had the same problem with my MSI 7800GT until last week. Last saturday my card started working properly all of a sudden. And I had only changed one thing. My UPS. My old one, which was new, could not handle the very unstable power here so it was often switching to battery mode. I gave it back and this time bought a much better one. And after installing it, my 7800GT throttled down after 15 minutes. It has been one week now and there is no problem. I can not say for sure that this is a power related issue but I know I did not install any software to make this happen. It all happened in 20 minutes and I am very happy about it. The strange thing is ntune says the GPU is working at 400MHz even in 2D mode. But the fan is in 2D mode. I can not explain what happened. Maybe a big coincidence but if you tried everything and got nothing, then try power related options. It's better than waiting for a solution at least.

10. starstreak

starstreak Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia 280
    Hmm... I do have a UPS on this system, but its a high power APS battery backup. It should handle 600+watts. But I'll try plugging it to the wall and see if it makes a difference. I'll be happy yet sad if that works.

That is weird tho. I can understand the system being unstable if the UPS is not capable of sending enough power, but to stop the gpu from throttling down the fan is weird. :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006

11. MuratG

MuratG New Member

GPU:
    MSI 7800GT
    It is definitely weird but I have no other explanation. And that is not the first case. Before that I had 6800GT. My old UPS was faulty and when I powered on for the first time, I heard a noise and it shut itself down. It could not detect AC after that. So I removed it and powered on. My card's second DVI out was not working anymore. I returned the card and they could not fix it. I paid 55$ more and got 7800GT. Two UPS-VGA related issues can not be coincidence I think. Somehow power instability effects these cards.

12. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    i unlocked my 6600's temp monitor and fan control perhaps there is a bios update for it

13. starstreak

starstreak Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia 280
    well its monitoring. just not throtling down. on the second gpu. so the loudest noise if from the little gpu fan spinning like 9000rpm a minute. (i'm joking but you know what I mean)

14. Amps

Amps New Member

BFG sent me the following email.. i smell Sh!te

15. starstreak

starstreak Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia 280
    They are a bunch of idiots. I bet they thought you asked them if the fan is always on 100% of the time, not that its on full speed 100% of the time. I bet you.

Oh I tried a direct to wall connection for power. no difference. I'm relieved yet sad that the fan is still stuck on.

16. Trojanman190

Trojanman190 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 570 GTX
    Sooooooooooooo looooooooooouuuuud....

I tried RT 15.8 and nothing changed. Major bummer......

17. starstreak

starstreak Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia 280
    trojanman190-
    You have one card? It should work. It maybe loud if gaming, but my problem only happens when in SLI. The fan trick sould work in Riva for you. Then again I never heard the GTX card before. It may sound like a turbo when when on low power.

18. starstreak

starstreak Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia 280
    I found another way to tell that one fan is on higher than the other. While doing nothing, my temp for card one is 54-56c. Card two is 50-51c. And card two is the one stuck at a faster speed. Can anybody else confirm with with theirs?

19. Trojanman190

Trojanman190 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 570 GTX
    Yea I only have one card. The fan speed definitely is not changing. Ive tried RT 15.8. I'll try coolbits next.

20. Denny85

Denny85 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    same problem why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.