Removing memory heatsinks

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Milosh, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Milosh

Milosh Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon 4870 X2
    Hi,

Does anybody have an idea how to remove memory heatsinks from my Gainward 6800LE. Heatsinks are attached with thermal tape and can't be removed with GPU cooler. I want to buy NV Silencer to replace crappy stock cooler and to properly cool down this card. Just to mention my card has all pixel and vertex shaders unlocked thus giving 16/6 configuration. Also my GPU hit 390MHz without voltmod and as i heard memory is 2.2ns and with proper bios and it can go over 900MHz, now is at 820MHz, so with good cooling and some bios modding i hope to achieve near GT performance.

2. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    you should be able to just twist them off. i am assuming you installed these yourself (how else would you know they were applied with tape?).. they should be very easy to twist off. if they came preinstalled (didn't think card manufacturers did that) it may be a more permanent bond.

3. Nickf

Nickf Banned

GPU:
    x1950 XT 715/2052/1.475v ATI Cooler
    By perminant, he means Thermal Adheisive, they CAN'T be removed. IF this is is the case, you may need to return your new cooler and buy a Zalman VF700-CU which is equally as good as the NV Silancer, if not better.

4. Milosh

Milosh Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon 4870 X2
    Thay came preinstalled, and i can see that it is a tape. Problem is that these heatsinks won't twist as when you install heatsinks by yourself using tape.

No they aren't attached by thermal adheisive

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006

5. performa

performa New Member

I'm gonna have the same problem tomorrow, with my ati silencer 4 on my x800pro undercover x800xt platinum edition. I wonder what would be better the ocz copper ramsinks, arctic cooling alu plate, or the ramsinks on top of the plate.

6. bbvdd2

bbvdd2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 960 WHITE SLI
  7. Milosh

Milosh Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon 4870 X2
    I'll try that as soon as i recieve silencer, i think it will be here on saturday.