Are people wasting their time with driver cleaners?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by alanm, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

no in this case its best to run driver cleaner coz you have actually got old driver uninstaller information in windows

2. shad47

shad47 New Member

GPU:
    geforce4 MX 4000 128MB
    will the driver cleaner remove all 3 drivers? why there are 3 drivers, is it because i didnt remove old ones? what's that WDM driver?

3. shad47

shad47 New Member

GPU:
    geforce4 MX 4000 128MB
    thanx for the advices guys, the 81.98 driver is a success for the gf4000
    happy new year

4. darkrenegade80

darkrenegade80 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG NVIDIA 6800 Ultra 256 OC AGP
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2006

5. The Fallen

The Fallen Maha Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    I find driver cleaners unnessary. I just go to the cp and uninstall and restart to install the new drivers, all works fine

6. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    I used DC way back. But because I had a nForce m/b, as well as the nVidia vid card, the Cleaner went to town on just about every nVidia driver it found. Alot of headaches ensued. I only uninstall them from add/remove now if the set goes from say, a 7 series to and 8 series. After that I will usually install right over the old set within a set.

Seems to work great for me. And I don`t sweat bullets anymore like I used to with DC way back.

7. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
  8. darkrenegade80

GPU:
    Re: NVIDIA Driver Cleaner

Roger_D25, If you use NFR let me know how it goes as haven't gotten round to trying it myself as in process of moving to XP64 Pro with all that entails like backing up my data etc.

Thanks

9. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Will do darkrenegade80, I just recently did a reformat and clean Windows install so I know what it's like (Did it a couple weeks ago when I upgraded motherboard). Plus I just ordered another new motherboard from the EGG which will be delivered tomorrow or Wednesday afternoon so I'll be doing it again soon!!! It's not that hard but it takes along time to do, lucily for me I save very little data on my computer so I can save and backup all my stuff on one floppy disk, lol!

10. darkrenegade80

GPU:
    Re: Tails of Woe in Hard Drive Backup

Roger,

It's never that simple when I'm concerned as I just download and download untill hard drive is full and i have no option other than to back up all the data on dvd and im talking about 160GB worth of stuff here! lol :mad3:

I'm starting to think it's a pain in de ass! so I'm gonna get an external :dave:

TarTar

11. Sharoth

Sharoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Merc 319 6900XT
    This thread is pathetic. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that using 3rd party apps is meaningless in most instances. Downgrading, possibly, but I have went to older drivers just fine without using it. Ya all need to pull ur skirts up and let the lower IQ-having people who need to believe a ****ty little app from some 3rd party developer who thinks they know better how to deal with some big corporations' drivers think it really works. These are the same people who voted for Bush. Think Elvis is still alive. And pray to some 'god' cuz it makes them feel better. Let them be, that is how we have dealt with these people for centuries. Just let them think that santa claus really exists, it doesn't hurt anyone.

12. EagleClaw

EagleClaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB Vapor-X
    Before trying new drivers "I":

Backup my C: drive w/Acronis 10gig (5gig used) time, 5 minutes

Uninstall from Add/Remove time, 1 minute

Reboot to Safe Mode and run driver cleaner time, 5 minutes (max)

Boot to windows install new driver time, 5 minutes (max)

Don't like them after testing,
    Boot Acronis recovery CD and restore image time, 3 minutes

Woopty freekin doo that sure took long.....

Besides after uninstalling you have to reboot anyway so going to safe mode
    to run driver cleaner is not a big deal.

Plus I have NEVER had a problem trying drivers using this method and I try every new one that comes out.

13. jvrobert

jvrobert New Member

Wow, that's just waaay overboard. At first I thought it was going to be a joke posting.

Here's what I do:

Click on the driver link, click 'Run' when Windows asks me, and reboot. I've never had a problem except with one crappy release of the Omega ATI drivers way back when.

I've got an asteroid repellent pendant I can sell you for $50. I've never been hit by anything from space, asteroids included, it works _that_ well.

14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    also doesnt take a brain surgeon to realize that your opinion apparantly isnt based on any evidence, dont post meaningless drival based within the limits of your personal experience....prove that theres no way that it can help anyone, show an email response from nvidia confirming such, something from the author..whatever

either way its free,quick to use and no one has yet proven anything one way or the other so might as well keep negative opinions to oneself

15. jvrobert

jvrobert New Member

While he may have been a bit vitriolic about it, the burden of proof is on the person taking all these extra steps to prove that they actually achieve anything.

Example:

If you and I both try to do long division, and you have some little tribal dance and song you sing during the process that you _swear_ helps you get the right answer, I'm going to laugh at you. You're going to say "no one has yet proven anything one way or the other!" when I laugh at you and say it's pointless?

16. jabloomf

jabloomf Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Having been in the driver cleaner camp and now departed, it does come down to whether you want to be totally logical like Mr. Spock or whether you believe that ritual might yield good outcome. When I played baseball, I never stepped on the foul lines when running on or off the field. And I'm sure it made me a better player. And even if it didn't, so what?

Until someone can post something factual about the need for using driver cleaners, their use is merely personal preference; to some, it's a waste of a small amount of time. And to others, it's insurance against impending doom.

17. Tyketto

Tyketto Guest

never used any driver cleaner in my life and i think that's the reason
    i dont have problems, but who knows maybe in the future i might use it
    for one reason or another.

18. mrk

mrk Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE

Who cares? people use it and that's fine with them.

After uninstalling forceware 8195 for example I booted into safe mode, the usual safemode screen appears and windows boots at my chosen 1280x1024 res which is nice, I run DC pro and it removes various nvidia drivers including nv4disp files of various extensions. If I were to not run driver cleaner windows would asscoiate those reference files and tag some nvidia files with the adapter and half-install the drivers from a previous version.

This has happened before but whilst this does not cause a problem I would much rather have a clean install and be fresh knowing that if a new driver does cause a game to be "weird" I will know for a fact that its a new driver issue and not because I could not be assed to use DC to remove previous drivers remnant files.

Use it or don't use it, there is no good or bad outcome, it's the feeling of knowing if anything goes wrong with new drivers then it is the new drivers fault not because of older drivers... This simply saves the process of having to reinstall older or different drivers to test again etc.

The stupid thing here is telling people that using DC is wrong and wortless.

It is also worth noting that alot of nvidias drivers are BETA drivers and because of this nvidia will NOT have any support for them. This means iif you install them then files MAY be left after uninstall because theya re only beta drivers used for testing internally but get leaked. This is a time when DC will come in handy to make sure that BETA dirver files are completely off the system...

You also have people releasing "modified" drivers and you can never be too sure what is left when you uninstall them to install new drivers.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  19. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

i used drivercleaner ONCE

i lost my entire nvidia folder which included coolbits patches, custom res registry patches

latency tool,
    nhancer

after that i said

wow... this is all it does, and ****ed it right off,

never had a problem uninstalling the way NVIDIA recommends

DRIVER CLEANER IS USELESS
    unless the uninstaller is broken, only then is it worth using

otherwise... its more likely to break your computer

20. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

it would help if you knew anything.

A. the settings modified already exist within the drivers to begin with

B. when uninstall is started.. it doesn't delete the entries themselves but the keys that they are created within

C. DRIVER CLEANER IS USELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!