Basics of Watercooling

Discussion in 'Links' started by shadow42489, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Onewithfire156

Onewithfire156 New Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 6200 OC 256 MB
    Some questions on WC

I have been reading the forums for a long time and i never posted.

Question: Can a Water Cooled PC be transpoted places(I.E. LAN PArties) without spilling or busting?

Also can SLI cards both have waterblocks on them or is it better(by price need, or need for cooling) to use the fans thy come with.

I ask these questions because I'm buying/ building my own PC and i need to know what i should do. I will post how my PC is going when i begin to make it as a guide to people to follow.

2. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    I use 3/4" OD (1/2" ID) tubing and it tends to stay put. I do try to transport my case in an upright position to keep the pump from sliding around, but a power drill and some bolts could take care of that. The tubing is also quite tough and will not simply just spring a leak. The only time I ever have any sort of leaking problem was when the nozzle to the pump snapped off, but that was really because I cut a length of tubing too long and was too lazy to drain everything to cut it down.

GPU cooling is a tough one, because they can consume upwards of 100 watts which is nearly as much as an overclocked CPU. So if you want the keep the same kind of cooling results for your processor, you need a system that's three times as good. The other problem is that better cooling doesn't always make much of a difference. Often people don't watercool their video card ram because it adds heat to the loop and doesn't improve your OC very much at all. Athlon 64s for instance also don't respond all that well to better cooling, the gap between air and water seems to be 100 MHz, maybe less.

Here's a review of a GPU/video ram cooler though, you can see the issues it raises:

http://www.moddershq.net/reviews.asp?reviewid=54

3. GFDuke

GFDuke Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5870 l
  4. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Probably the Swiftech HydrX Coolant, though as you can see by clicking on it its just Ethylene Glycol anti-freeze and some UV dye. You can just go to the automotive store and buy your own Ethylene Glycol anti-freeze instead of course, though just remember not to use too much, maybe 5% at most. I'm not sure if water-wetter is better, but I don't think additives make much of a difference at all, so it probably doesn't matter too much.

5. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
  6. GFDuke

GFDuke Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5870 l
    Some one asked for picture to see the routing procedure.
    Yes Swiftech pump,and Radiator. Radiator on top of the pc has 2 120mm fans.
    Someone also asked about water cooling Dual Vid cards.
    Danger Den Water blocks for Vid cards and cpu Water block is also Danger Den.
    I believe it was OnWithFire156... back 3 or so posts.
    :speed: :speed:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  7. dangerous

dangerous Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Club3D HD3870 : Sam226BW
    I use "steam" evaperated distiled water and Zerex water additive. Can't realy sugest a mix ratio as all the sugestion I have read vary. 5-10% additive seems to be the norm.

Im going to use 5% for my new build.

8. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    THANX... WILL try this Sunday. :)

9. littledragon

littledragon Member Guru

GPU:
    6600GT
    I'm curious if anyone's ever tried this before. Instead of a radiator, use a second water block that's attached to a peltier with a big heat sink? I've seen people use the peltier on the cpu and then water cooling the peltier but never seen anyone use the peltier to cool down the water instead of a radiator.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  10. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Peltiers only work well if you can get rid of the heat they generate, and in this case you'd be limited by the cooling power of the heatsink. That is why you want all your cooling prowess directed at the hot side, which means you use the radiator to cool it off.

11. death__machine

death__machine Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 270X TOXIC 2GBx2
    HEy how is this :
    reservoir-->radiator-->waterblock-->pump|

Because since the pump uses force and has vibration and vibration gives some heat so the water coming out going to the block in normal setups is a LITTLE hot.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  12. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    That is nice... :)

13. Nicksterr

Nicksterr Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS 512
    It doesn't really matter what order your setup is in as long as your reservoir is before the pump.

14. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    Oh hey... BTW guys I cleaned my watercooling system today... and lemme tell ya I found some interesting things in there...
    [​IMG]

Ugh... the water is sooo murky... :puke:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  15. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    AND it took 3.5 hrs.... :mad: Well worth it tho... Now I dont see things "swimming" by my water lines... I used to like "whoa!! Whats that!" and then "there goes one of dem things again!!" :D :D :D

AND THE *NEW* pics found here....
    http://www.freewebs.com/big_aj
    [​IMG]
    Now THAT is a clean line... :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006

16. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    Why is this? Just wondering... :)

17. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    You have to have water already in the pump's intake to get it started, that is presumbably the reason. You can also use a T-line instead of resevoir either right before the intake, or pretty anywhere where gravity will cause the water you pour in to pool at the intake.

18. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    OOh... I see now. :p THANX

ps. HEY G L [clears throat]... Don Juan, can u show me ur WC system... :) I just like looking at them things... :) heehee

19. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Its on page 2 in the middle, the Lian-Li PC60 case with the hole in the top for the radiator. Nothing substantial changed except I finally gave up on my pain-in-the-ass DFI board and went back to my Epox (apparently the NF3 Ultra Lanparty was a real lemon). I may watercool the GPU, not sure (that copper lump there now is the stock heatsink). I was really tempted by the kind that watercool both GPU and video ram, but I've heard that it doesn't help much and just dumps a bunch of heat in your loop. I'm also getting sick of cramming everything into the PC60, thinking about a stacker maybe.

Oh, all the moderators are "don" something following the godfather theme, its not my title or anything.

20. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    Whats the tube size on these?