X850 Pro MOD to X850XT/XT PE

Discussion in 'Links' started by jblade, Aug 21, 2005.

1. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobile Radeon HD 5730
    You can always flash it back to its original bios. more than likely if the card is laser cut it will flash to xt pe bios but won't unlock the extra pipes. I have a second x850 i bought a few weeks ago from best buy and it will let me unlock the pipes. I tried everything posible. I had no problem getting my first one to unlock it's pipes. so if you feel like taking a slight risk and trying. the least you will have to do is just flash it back to it's original bios.
    just make sure before you flash it to save your original. if you follow the directions in most of the posts they say how. good luck. :speed:

2. serjster

serjster New Member

GPU:
    CONNECT3D x850 pro
    Thanks, i should recieve it tomorrow and its the first thing ill do! I dont have any cooler to subtitute the stock one so ill use a bios editor so i can change the clock speeds so im safe in dos. Anyway i hate noise, does the zalman make a big racket? One thing i hate about theese gaming rigs is the noise they produce.

Hope my chieftec 360w can take the load.:).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  3. ehven

ehven Active Member

GPU:
    Connect3D x850pro 500/1000 - 5.13
    well i get my connect3d x850pro...runned some games...then tried some OC and get with atitools..core max stable 580 and 590 mem..dont know if 1.6 or 2.0 memory..well gonna try the mod

Edit: I got 11270 points in 3dmark 03 with stock core and mem speed...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  4. ehven

ehven Active Member

GPU:
    i was trying to flash the bios but a error apear saying that P/N mismatch and flashing was aborted..i could have force but want to know what P/N mismatch meen..any idea? by the way I tried ati x850xt bios for my connect3d x850pro

5. coget

coget Member

...for flashing the 3dconnect have to use the original ATI 850XT or XTPE bios....download that bios from Techpowerup....the flash again.....use modified flashrom for falshing.....put all the file (3) on a boot disk (create from windows) and the bios.....restart...at the prompt write fashrom -f -p 0 (zero) nameofbios.bin ....use a short name (xt.bin for example)

6. jhandel

jhandel New Member

Factory ATI AGP x850Pro VIVO and no love :-(

So I have a standard factory ATI AGP 8x x850Pro with Vivo, 256 Megs of ram, & Samsung "GC16" Ram (1.6)... I've tried using just the files provide here, just the files provided by overclocking.com. using atiflash with -newbios and withoug AND tried the modified flashrom.exe with -newbios and without.. I still have had no luck opening up the 4 blocked pipelines. (the card does flash & it thinks its a new card, just stays at 12 pipelines).

Below are the extact commands I have tried.

1) ATIFLASH -newbios -f -p 0 x850new.bin
    2) ATIFLASH -f -p 0 x850new.bin

3) ATIFLASH -f -p 0 FLASHROM.ROM
    ATIFLASH -f -p 0 x850new.bin
    *this was probly pretty stupid but it didn't break anything luckly

4) FLASHROM -newbios -f -p 0 x850new.bin
    5) FLASHROM-f -p 0 x850new.bin

trys were all tried multiple times (except for 3, I had a feeling it was wrong after the first time I did it)

Is there maybe a new lot of AGP x850 Pro's with Vivo that don't work with this tweak, or am I doing something wrong?

Below is a dir of my flashing directory on my dos boot disk

(this is when I was just trying flashrom)
    Flashrom.exe
    Flashrom.rom
    x850new.bin
    backup.bin (my backup)
    Flashrom.chg

(this is when I was trying ATIFlash)
    AtiFlash.exe
    AtiFlash.chg
    Flashrom.exe
    Flashrom.rom
    x850new.bin
    backup.bin (my backup)
    Flashrom.chg

So did I do everything right? Does it take 3 or 4 tries using one of the specific methods above? Is there a way that ATITools could be miss reading the card and it need to be "refreshed" somehow (delete a settings file or something to force it to requery the card).. Or am I just SOL on the extra Pipes?

Oh what is a safe temp for the video card to be running at? I have a SFF box and I'm wondering what cooling tricks I may need to employ to keep this thing from burning up (at 520/540 & not running stress tests it sits right at
    72c which I am guessing is high).

Thanks
    Josh Handel

7. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    What bios are you using? is it ati or some other manufacturer

8. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    and what version of atiflash are you using?

9. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    use atiflash ver. 3.09
    if you did not use this one then do it.
    make sure you get the bios and flash utility at www.techpowerup.com

10. jhandel

jhandel New Member

I was using ATIFlash v 3.09

I've tried the "ATI x850 XT" (ATI.X850XT.256.Samsung16_050119.bin) from the download page at the beginning of the artical & I've trie the "x850 xtpe 1.6 fan control agp" (x850 xtpe 1.6 fan control agp.bin) from the artical at overclocked.net (http://www.overclock.net/faqs/44936-how-flash-your-x850pro-xt-pe.html)

I have also used both the modded FlashRom from your site and the Modded FlashRom from the above mentioned artical (just incase one is better than the other).

Thanks for your Help
    Josh

11. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    to keep cool, keep the fan in ati tray tools at 100%.as well as rivatuner.
    and do what i did and buy a new cooling fan.the one in my avatar is a zalman fatal1ty pure copper HSF and right now my temp is 34c.
    72c is pretty high.

12. jhandel

jhandel New Member

just to make sure I used 3.09 and a good firmware I just used the ATI X850 XT PE (AGP) 256 MB 540 / 590 Samsung 1.6 (ATI.X850XT.256.Samsung16_050118.bin) from techpowerup and the atiflash 3.09 from there as well.. I renamed the file xtpe.bin and used the following commandline from a fresh boot into dos

atiflash -newbios -f -p 0 xtpe.bin

the bios flashed without error

ATITools still only detects 12 pipes.

this is exactly what is in the flash folder of my boot drive
    AtiFlash.exe
    AtiFlash.chg
    Flashrom.exe *from modded rom zip at beginning of artical
    Flashrom.rom *from modded rom zip at beginning of artical
    xtpe.bin
    backup.bin (my backup)
    Flashrom.chg *from modded rom zip at beginning of artical

13. jhandel

jhandel New Member

Thanks for the suggestion on heatsinks, I'll look into that.. space is my biggest issue so making it fit is the real trick :p

Josh

14. ehven

ehven Active Member

GPU:
    well i tried the mod without any goods...still with 12 pipes...maybe if I try an other bios? I had tried with ati x850xt

15. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    ehven, how did you try to flash your card?

16. ehven

ehven Active Member

GPU:
    well first I downloaded flashrom from powertech and bios from same site...made bootable disk and put flashrom and bios inside..changed bios name to newbios ...restarted computer and first saved the old bios by writing
    flashrom -s 0 oldbios.bin ....it saved..then booted again to windows to make shure the bios were saved..then restarted again and write flashrom -f -p 0 newbios.bin..all went fine..entered windows but atitools show 12 pipes..started some games to see a difenrence but only 3fps o something like that cause of the OC...any idea?? by the way I overclcok a bit to 559/571 and get 12207 3dmark03 jeje

17. jhandel

jhandel New Member

Atleast I'm not the only one who followed the directions and still only has 12 pipelines :p

Anyone have any opinions on flashing with an empty bin file and then flashing with the new file?

To make an empty bin file do I just need to make an empty file (save a blank text file as .bin or something) or do I need to give the file some kind of header or footer using a hex editor or something?

Josh

18. serjster

serjster New Member

GPU:
    CONNECT3D x850 pro
    Bad news. My connect3d x850 pro has the pipelines laser cut, before even mounting the card i took some pics. Now after not succeding flashing it with 16pipelines i looked at the pics and saw it =(. Very unlucky..

19. jhandel

jhandel New Member

So after doing much researchy goodness I have found this on another forum

"Just for the people who are asking about X850pro's, all the serials that start with 18052- (and below) are biosmoddable, all the cards that have serials with 18053- are laser cut, and all the cards that have serials with 18054- are die locked."

So if your like me and you have a Factory ATI x850Pro there is a distinct possibility that you are shut out of the extra pipes :-(..

20. coget

coget Member

...all the x850pro that have in the serial number 18054 are dielocked...the are no mod (hard/soft) that can be open the 4 died pipe......if in the serial there is 18053 the card have a lasercut but can be mod by an hardmod....and if in the serial there is 18052/51/50 etc the card is moddable by flashing the bios....my card is 18054....and i finish my mod experience:frown: