HDD and windows XP with changing mobo's

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by stefanie, Dec 23, 2005.

1. stefanie

stefanie Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx geforce 5500 oc 336/430
    Hi everyone at Guru3D and Happy Holidays.

My question should be a very simple one. I want to change my mobo for my own reasons. I will leave out what kind and model to avoid any suggestions on which is best. I already have a nice new mobo.

I would like to know if I will have any problem with my OS windows Xp when using the same HDD with windows already loaded? I do understand that Microsoft may ask me for my serial numbers when and if prompted. I just want to know if it is an easy swap with hardware and windows will boot up after BIOS and Microsoft already taken care of? By the way, I have built a couple from ground on up and I have never just switched a mobo without loading windows into a new HDD.
    Thank you all

2. §moke™

§moke™ Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 7900 GT 256meg
    i answered this question with a no before, but i remember someone coming into the thread and saying there is a way, like uninstalling your old motherboards device drivers first, deleting or changing some registry setting, then do the swap. im not really sure, so i would have to say that you should just format it to be safe otherwise it would probably be a hassle to do. someone can correct me if im wrong...

3. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    i would still say no, however, there is a but....
    but, you can uninstall your old chipset drivers (which may not be easy to do, some aren't) OR you could run a repair installation.
    i still say, format that drive.. it's always best to start fresh so you know you won't have any residual garbage screwing up your new computer.

4. zenkmander

zenkmander Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon 7950
    As the others have mentioned, chances are you're gonna have to format. Even if you manage to uninstall the chipset drivers and such, there's a big possibility that a registry entry here or there will screw it all up.

5. fatsaint

fatsaint Master Guru

I dont think it will work either. Reinstalling or formatting might be the only options!

6. Ilmarin

Ilmarin Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7800GTX 512 extreme
    i vote for format too.even if you change from lets say NF3 to NF4(which basically use the same drivers) you re bound to run into various probs.and as mentioned before a clean start always helps

7. nwc

nwc Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970
    What about...

I was just thinking, if you had an nforce3 mobo, installed using a recent nvidia unified nforce driver package, theory is you should be able to just put in an nforce4 mobo and have it working immediately, as the drivers are all present from the earlier generation mobo.

8. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    Most of the time (98% or higher), no there is no issues using an old os on new hardware. Sometimes thought it does not work right and you just gotta reformat.

As far as how:

If you can still boot up on the old motherboard then go to device manager and change the branded (ie intel, sis, etc) hard drive controller to "standard dual-channel ide controller". This is provided your hard drive is pata or the new board supports native sata mode for a sata hard drive.

If you can't boot up, or you are running on a seperate controller (like any Via integrated sata) then all you need to do is run a repair install. Boot the windows cd, hit enter on the first screen. Then F8. then setup will search the hard drive and will find your install to repair. Hit 'r' to begin the repair process. Note: this will revert your service pack level to that of the cd so you may need to re-update.

9. stefanie

stefanie Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx geforce 5500 oc 336/430
    I gathered there was a way to do it. There is nothing wrong with the old mobo, but my new one which is the same manufacturer has more goodies on it etc.

Thank you very much for the assistance. Yes the new mobo does support sata and dual channel memory. I do appreciate all the suggestions everyone has given. There will be no problem with downloading SP2 again anyway.:-D