PC Startup issues

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Insomniac34, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    Hey, my parent's PC has been having problems recently. It was one I built from old components that I've upgraded from. Here are the specs:

Intel Celeron 2.93 Ghz
    Asus P4V8X-X MoBo
    1 x 512 Kingston PC2700
    1 x 512 UltrA PC2700
    GeForce 4 MX 4000
    Maxtor 60 GB HD
    Thermaltake 430 W PSU
    Windows XP

It had been running just fun until recently. It gets through the bios page just fine, but right before it hits the Windows loading screen, the screen goes black and stays black until I restart. Half the time it starts without issue, the other half it messes up.

I checked all my connections and everything seems to be in place. Does anyone have any ideas of where to go from here? Faulty hardware perhaps? I appreciate any help you can provide.

2. mykledw

mykledw Guest

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    Reinstall windows.....a pain I know, but it sounds like something in the OS is borked......

3. MrBen

MrBen Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce4 ti 4200 128MB
    No expert, but sounds like the OS is corrupt. Have you tried restoring to last known good configuration?

Your PSU isn't all that great either, keep your eye on that, Thermaltake is known to fail for no reason whatsoever.

Edit: I didn't see that sometimes it starts up, and others it doesn't. So... I dunno.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  4. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    Thanks for the help.

I should actually say it only starts up fine 1 in every 3 tries. When it doesn't startup and I reboot, I'll get the menu asking if I wanna go into safemode, start Windows normally, or go to last known good configuration. The problems have occurred when choosing both "Normal" and "Last Known".

And when you guys say "reinstall Windows", should I just reinstall over what's here, or should I erase my HD in the process?

5. MrBen

MrBen Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce4 ti 4200 128MB
    Well, I never said to reinstall the OS. I don't think that's it, personally. I don't know what the problem is but someone else has to. Sorry.

6. dvs3d

dvs3d New Member

GPU:
    IGP X1200
    Hi,
    Try this

1. Reset BIOS and also( check the cmos battery by monitoring time )
    2. Thorough scan the HDD.( if you are able to boot or from winxp CD recovery console)
    if that does not work?
    3. if you can boot on last known good configuration create a restore point
    and restart in safe mode and un install all the chipset and device drivers(chipset inf /agp /sound/ printer etc.).
    restart the system.
    any query?

7. fatsaint

fatsaint Master Guru

Same thing happened to me! There was a thread on it too! I had to change my mobo because it blew up!

8. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    Thanks for replying guys.

@Dvs3d, when you said "CMOS battery", I didn't know what you meant. I know of CMOS, but not the COS battery. So I googled it and I came up with a picture that might have solved my problem.

I remember that when I switched MoBos from this to my current Abit board, I had noticed something on the floor. It looked like a coin-sized battery. As any idiot would do, I discarded the battery and thought nothing of it. I wasn't planning on using the MoBo again, so I didn't worry about it. But this might be something that the PC needs to work properly.

So when I saw the image, I checked the MoBo to see if there was a spot where it could fit if I still had it. I saw a similar battery on the board, but no spot for a second. But I'm certain it belonged to this board. Maybe it fit over the battery already there?

So I'm thinking my MoBo is missing a CMOS battery somewhere on the board. Not sure where, but this doesn't seem like a coincidence. Is this something replaceable? Can I buy these online or maybe obtain them from the manufacturer? Are the batteries specific for each board?

Thanks to anyone that can help me out, and I hope everyone's having a happy holidays.