Which driver to pick Official Vs Omega ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by manu, Dec 20, 2005.

1. manu

manu Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 260 GTX 216 Stock
    Hello everyone,

I will be receving my new AIW x800xt today, so wanted to make sure which driver to pick and which drivers will try to squeeze out the maximum performance & quality out of the card.

Thanks for ur upcoming advice.

Have a Nice Day !!

2. Thor

Thor Master Guru

GPU:
    x850XT PE + V5 5500
    Best IQ for my system has been Omega.

Best performance been tweaks with ATi tool on stock/reference/WHQL drivers.

IMHO best results come from games not benchmarks.

Have Fun with your machine! :dave:

:arnie:

3. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Be sure to check out the DHzero drivers too, I've always had good performance/image quality with them, and better success than with the latest omegas.

4. Chibby

Chibby Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 9800pro 128MB @ 418|381
    i use the omaga drivers ... good performance and very good IQ ..

wasn't able to install the DHzeropoint drivers ... some kind of install problem ..

5. Ehecu

Ehecu Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5750
    I'd go Omega... They're the one modded driver set ATi has ever come out and said they support.

6. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    Official driver has more things and better quality and its hell more stable then the omega drivers. omega just mess with your card and then u going to have to buy a new card again. like my friend card. he use omega driver two weeks ago with his new X850 XT and it got mess up when using omega, his games play slow as hell and the IQ look like crap. he had all setting max and they look like low. but when he got the same card again from bestbuy and use the omega driver and still got the same crap so he switch over to official driver and he does not having no problems with his card. great IQ and speed, which he did't see on his pc using the omega driver. it better to get official then mod drivers because mod drivers dont mean jack, just messing with the driver can cause stable and IQ and speed and mostly of all BSOD. its like buying a 850 xt then trading it for a fx 5200.

7. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    The fact is, the only way you'll find which driver works best for you is by trying it for yourself. There's no point saying x driver is crap, y is the best... because every single system varies, which is why I personally can't stand 'which driver is best for...' posts. But at least this one is comparing official to modded, but the end result is still gonna be the same, people will never settle 100% on one opinion on something like this.

And saying "Official driver has more things and better quality and its hell more stable" doesn't really help anyone.

/end rant

8. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    it does help because one, official drivers are stable and has alot of things u wont get in mod drivers. two, if u have alot of money then u wont care using the mod drivers if your card get mess up. but some people dont have alot of money and some people have better things to waste money on then on pc hardware. so they want a card that can last, so if u that kind of person use the official driver, it will help u alot. if dont then get ready to buy a new card in the following weeks. why you think when guru3d review a gfx card they use the official driver because the official driver are better and they dont cause your game to crash every 5 mins.

9. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I wasn't looking to pick a fight, but c'mon! saying that your card is going to get screwed if you use a modded driver is just not true.

And what are these 'lots of things' you don't get in modded drivers?

The original poster specifically said he wanted to get the most performance and image quality out of his card, and that is the fundamental reason why people use modded drivers.

Reviewers use official whql drivers as these are the drivers that most consumers will be using, and to discount specific optimizations that could give different results in benchmarks, not because they are better.

10. Slaymate

Slaymate Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SLI 800/2000
    I usually go with the stock driver's. The modded one's have setting's basically pre-adjusted to the "Author"s preference's. This is nothing you can't do for yourself. And since your system is probably only somewhat simular you will probably need to tweak the "Tweaker Driver" for maximun performance or quality anyway's if you shooting for perfection.

11. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor x1900xtx 675/783
    I was using the 5.10 officials for a while which worked fine..

Then I tried Omega 5.11's and they hooked me.. Now im using the Omega 5.12's and to me the IQ is just great and they are stable as can be..

I dont want to start any flaming.. but I find it VERY hard to believe that using modded drivers will kill a card.. You cant base this off of ONE friend that had his card die while using Omega drivers, thats just silly..

But everyone is allowed to believe what they like..

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  12. yaleblor

yaleblor Guest

GPU:
    770gtx 2gb
    i agree with thunda , i bet your friend fried his card and blamed it on the drivers

13. Hal3246

Hal3246 Active Member

GPU:
    OCed Ati Radeon x1650 Pro 512 GDDR2
    Hello all, I have been using the Omega v2.6.83 (Cat 5.11) and been having a good time with them with an over clock of +45 hz (470)Core and +78 hz (510) Mem on my card and boy, pretty stable and somewhat cool. As once said though, you'll just have to run through them to see which best suits your rig.

I think your boy was playing with a rug and his video card. Next time, tell him that throwing water on his card while it's running to cool it, is deffinately not a way of having a stable card with great IQ.

14. Thor

Thor Master Guru

GPU:
    x850XT PE + V5 5500
    you mean that doesn't work? no wonder my benchs in the :crapper:

Sounds redundant but the classic driver cleaning (or lack of) is about 9 of 10 problems - of course that's our IT guy here at work saying that not me.

Personally I think its gremlins ;)

15. Hal3246

Hal3246 Active Member

GPU:
    OCed Ati Radeon x1650 Pro 512 GDDR2
    LOL of course, I had to blow off some dusty grems off my old card before selling it....

16. Thor

Thor Master Guru

GPU:
    x850XT PE + V5 5500
    Cards? Yes, always wash 'em and also scrub those drivers shiny

:eyes:

17. Ymaster

Ymaster Active Member

Well.. I've already built two AMD systems and so far it just depends on the hardware that you have. I find that chipsets like ULI like the Omega drivers more for some reason. Overall the ATI drivers tend to have up to date fixes, but for some reason there are some games and demos that get broken each time I update? Anyway, the Omega latest Omega drivers have been very stable and our GTA SA game works flawless now were as before with the ATI version of same drivers was buggy, with our systems at least.