Laser Mice and Mousepads

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Clem, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Clem

Clem New Member

GPU:
    256 MB XFX GeForce 6800 GT
    I've hard Logitech just released new update for its G5 Laser Mouse to accomodate tracking on high end mousepads.....For an XMAS present, I would like to get a high end mousepad but don't know which one I should ask for. My search of the WWW hasn't shown too much information.

Any thoughts as to the best mousepad (other than a piece of paper or regular $2 pad) to use with the Logitech G5?

- X-Ray Thunder
    - sUrface 1030
    - Steel Pad 4S
    - Steel Pad S&S
    - Razor ExactMat
    - IceMat 2nd Edition
    - Ulti-Mat Teflon
    - Corpad Eyepad (ey3pad?)
    - SS Qck+

Thanks

2. 32down

32down Member

GPU:
    XFX/Radeon HD-7850/2GB
    I have the Steel pad S&S and my G5 works great with it no complaints with that combo.

3. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7800GTX@497/1300
    I like my 2$ dirty cheapo mouse pad works fine for me ^^

4. EVILfreak

EVILfreak Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX570 OC
    I also have the G5 (very nice mouse), don't get the icemat 2nd ed, the mouse won't track on it. Had my icemat for about a year with my razer mouse and it was fantastic but when i got the G5 it just did'nt work, using a normal mousemat right now until i can find a good one too :)

5. Clem

Clem New Member

GPU:
    Did you install the lastest update from Logitech that fixes (supposedly) any tracking problems?

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/d...=1792,contentid=11017,OSID=1,softwareid=11305

Logitech® G5 Laser Mouse Firmware Update 1.1
    Updating your Logitech® G5 Laser Mouse's firmware to track on more surfaces is easy and quick. To obtain the latest firmware, download the G5Update.exe file and follow the instructions below:

Download

1. Plug your mouse into the USB port on your computer.
    2. Open the G5Update.exe file.
    3. Follow the on-screen instructions:
    1. If your mouse needs to be updated with the current firmware (version 1.1), the program will say "Found a G5 with firmware 1.0."
    1. Click on the "Flash" Button
    2. The program will then automatically prepare your mouse for the update and execute the update. This process takes less than 30 seconds. During this stage, it is critical that you do NOT unplug your mouse or quit the program
    3. Once the update is complete, you will see a message asking you to unplug and re-plug your mouse
    4. After you've plugged your mouse back in, choose "Exit" to close the update program
    2. If your mouse already has the current version 1.1 firmware, the program will say "Found a G5 with Firmware version 1.1" — there is no need to update your mouse. Just click on the Exit button to exit the program.

Your updated Logitech® G5 Laser Mouse is now ready for use.

Note: Some dialogs and warning message may appear during the updating process and should be ignored. They do not represent a failure of the updating process. Disregard these messages and continue to follow the on-screen instructions provided within G5Update.exe.

Anticipated messages include…

1. "Found New Hardware: A problem occurred during hardware installation. Your new hardware might not work properly."
    2. "USB Device not recognized: One of the USB devices connected to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message."

Note: The 64-bit version of Windows® XP does not support this update.

6. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    I have the wireless version (mx1000) and I use ratpadz gs with it. I guess it has thousands of tiny bumps in it so it's able to track more precisely. Seems to work great for me.

7. cornbreadbreath

cornbreadbreath Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTX @ 615/1080
    Yep, I use Ratpadz with my Razor [not a G5, but hey, close to it!] It's way better than the generic pad I had before it.

8. Clem

Clem New Member

GPU:
    Does anyone have the:

Func Surface 1030 MBA ?

9. Davy2

Davy2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon x800Pro+Samsung 172X
    Yep, I have the Func Surface 1030, and am using it with a laser mouse. (MX1000). I can't give you a good review because I havn't compared it to other high-end mouse pads. I will say however that it's MUCH better than using a cloth pad. The mouse moves very freely on this pad, and I consider it to be a great investment.

10. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    I too have the 1030. It is either the mouse or the mousepad I am un-impressed with. The mouse skitches againt the mousepad and the mousepad has various scratches on it. It requires some pressure to move my MX518 mouse on the pad, and the pad is somewhat sticky for no reason. I am going to replace my mouse feet because I think I got shipped with them being too bare.

11. death__machine

death__machine Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 270X TOXIC 2GBx2
    Go for the steelpads they have excellent reviews all over