Rookie Needs Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Hose1981, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Hose1981

Hose1981 New Member

I'm a complete rookie when it comes to overclocking so i'm asking for your advice...
    I have a GeForce4Ti-4200 128MB AGP 8X, so you're probably guessing that playing new games, FEAR etc is getting rather difficult...so i was thinking of overclocking it a bit...my questions are these...

a.I downloaded Coolbits to do so...is it good or do you recommend something else?
    b.How much i can raise my cards stats without the risk of destroying it?
    c.will i see any difference?

any help will be highly appreciated!!
    THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

2. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    A. coolbits will do, rivatuner is nice too, but it basicly just uses coolbits with a nice GUI and more very advanced options, for general OCing, coolbits is sufficient

B. there is no easy way to tell this, the best way to go about OCing is to up the speeds 5 mhz at a time, and do some serious testing (games, 3dmark) to make sure it is stable, any card should start artifacting before going dead, so just up the clocks 5 mhz at a time, and back off 10 mhz when you see artifacts

C. depends, my old 9600pro oced to 120% clock speeds (480 core from 400, same ratio on the ram) but i only got around 10% extra performance in games, which isnt very noticable, so i decided it wasnt worth it, and clocked back down, your mileage may vary though

OCing generally is nice for getting higher benchies, but in game 10% is nothing, the extra 2 fps from 20 to 22 wont make a game any more playable imho

that said, good luck, i hope it does well

3. ericisthereason

ericisthereason Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600GT @ 575/1158
    download ati tool. turn up your clocks, run the artifact test. keeping raising until it detects artifacts and then back off a little and test again to make sure. i think i got an increase of about 50mhz on the core and 90mhz on teh memory on my brothers 4200, however, it doesnt make that much of a difference because the card is old, better than nothing though.