nVidia or ATI?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by shravan, Dec 11, 2005.

1. shravan

shravan Master Guru

GPU:
    BIG 6600GT@580/1200 on 29" TV
    If u were to purchase a new gfxcard now, which company would u choose & why? I would choose nvidia as they have quickly recovered form their FX fiasco & are currently holding the flagship & mid-range crown. ATI's new mid-range X1600XT is a joke compared to similarly priced 6800GS/GT.

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    dont knock ATI...

:nerd: like em or not they are driving down prices for us nvidiots

3. DmZ

DmZ Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260@285 Speeds
    This is kind of a biased question don't you think?

It is like going to a Republican Party message board and asking them which is the better party that should be elected president.

I think both companies are good and I've owned cards from both over my PC computing career.

I am one of the many who are not loyal to one company or the other and simply go for the best performing card, and or best price/performance ratio at the moment. Right now, it does seem to be Nvidia, but that can quickly change within a very short span as the FX fiasco proved.

4. Must Kill Ati

Must Kill Ati Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800le
    I'll let my nickname speak for me.

5. DeltaSniper 203

DeltaSniper 203 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga + MSI 7800 GTX SLI
    rofl!!!:funny: i only get what preforms better but since SLI seems to be for now better than cross fire, im usin nVidia

6. Darrin

Darrin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PX7800GTX @ 450/1250
    For me what ever is the cheapest card at max IQ in games.

Basiclly both the 7800GTX and X1800Xt high end cards will pretty much be on par in games. Dont worry about benchies, games is where its at.

You need to think that if you, like me hate tearing, thus enable Vsinc, you will get a max frame rate of say 85 FPS @ 85 Hrz. No matter what card you get the FPS will be the same and IQ will be fully sick either way on both.

The debate over which is better is a dead issue this time round IMHO. Go for the cheapest HIGH END card and be in gaming heaven,,, well for the next 6-8 or so mths till the next gen of cards come out. :):)

7. Killerz_4_Hire

Killerz_4_Hire Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX XXX HD6950 1GB
    i always pick the brand that gives me the most performance for my money. but right now my ati card died so im kind of leaning towards nvidia. im using my PSP right now and it took me10 mins 2 write this :p

8. whitewolf11

whitewolf11 Member

GPU:
    XFX Nvidia 7800 GTX PCI-E
    Nvidia for me. I'm a nvidiot. Though I would like to ask ATi to lower their prices so nvidia will be forced to do the same. Its how the world goes round.

9. ProfBP

ProfBP Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX
    Well I'm an NV guy, I have had problems with ATI in the past and NV has never given me any trouble. But when it all comes down to it, its your choice. I like my 6600GT, and it will be the card I stay with for now, untill the next best thing comes out and prices fall. But ATI is still an awesome company, nothing really to knock them about. My family's PC uses a Redaon 9200 and its been running just fine.

10. Must Kill Ati

Must Kill Ati Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800le
    The world needs ATI owners, too! Who else would I make fun of?

11. modmooz

modmooz Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Tech 7800GTX OC @460/1300
    haha thats good stuff lol But yea, I'd go for Nvidia as well. Seems Nvidia is ruling over ATI right now.

12. ati. i like their high quality af. it's ridiculous that you have to set settings in the nvidia driver panel to 'high quality' to get the same iq ati gets with all their optimizations on in the driver panel.

13. DeltaSniper 203

DeltaSniper 203 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga + MSI 7800 GTX SLI
    ok, maybe i havent hurd or sumin but please explain

14. if you have it in the nvidia driver panel to 'quality' you will get a lot of texture shimmering(yes, even with the clamp on). only way to reduce the shimmering is to set it in the driver panel to 'high quality' which comes at a performance cost depending on the games. check out this thread to get you started.

if your too lazy to read the entire thread this one post sums things up pretty nicely.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2005
  15. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    i mostly look at performance, but im a tad biased towards NV, just like the feel of the drivers and the card itself better

16. Davy2

Davy2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon x800Pro+Samsung 172X
    Thinking about using Linux? Forget about ATI. I with I had waited another few weeks for the 6800GTs to come out.

17. not much better on the nvidia side, trust me. just spend some time on linux forums with nvidia linux gpu driver search terms. it's a matter of russian roulette of wether the nvidia gpu linux driver will work for your particular linux setup or wether your just going to be greeted with a black screen at boot. i spent several days trying to get the gpu driver working on 4 seperate distros, it wouldn't even work with distros that came with the driver already installed like suse. and even when you get the gpu driver working any minor system change can break the driver. it's not like i was planning to game but you need the gpu driver installed for monitor power saving. the ati driver is a pain to install but at least if you have the patience to install it, when it's up and working it stays up and working.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2005
  18. SupaSiLa

SupaSiLa Banned

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT 256mb @ 430/1150 (Zm
    lol eversince the psp has been released i still dont kno what a psp can do... so how does the internet work with it? i didnt kno there was a browser for it lol wow i think im gonna get me one of those.

19. Davy2

Davy2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon x800Pro+Samsung 172X

I've never installed an Nvidia driver in Linux, but I heard it's not much different from installing ATI. It depends on the distro, but all I had to do to get the ATI driver working was open up Synaptec, search "fglrx", check the package, hit apply and restart. The ATI installer on their website works just as well.

The problem's not with installation, (ime) it's that performance with ATI is not up to par in linux, and there's no way that I know of to get AA/AF/Vsync/TB etc working. These do work with Nvidia however from what others have said, and performance is the same as with Windows games. (If they have a native linux client, eg UT2k4, Doom3, Q4 etc)

20. cornbreadbreath

cornbreadbreath Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTX @ 615/1080
    I've got to agree that though nVidia's got the prices right, ATi produces better AF quality. Compared to my X850XT, I'm terribly disappointed in the long-distance views I get from my 7800GT. Perhaps my eyes will adjust, but for now, the lack of AF quality grabs my attention and frankly pisses me off. WTF N-VID? :finger:

If you can get by that, nVidia is the way to go right now. They've got something going with 6xxx and 7xxx, and it all seems more appealing than ATi's lackluster lineup, high prices, and late/crappy releases.