Possible Hand Gun Ban in Canada

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by zhackore, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moshpit

moshpit Guest

I'm VERY heated over this subject, so I will again attempt to withdraw from it, but if people want to keep up with trying to cut up my family's defence, then I WILL respond again. Please focus on the Canadian points from this point on and I will withdraw.

2. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Well, saying that accusation is stupid is a matter of opinion. You are lucky all he had was a knife. It is not uncommon knowledge that if the person does have a gun, the chances of him/her firing goes up rather quickly when you pull yours out. Why? He/she gets scared. Do that with the next guy (hopefully there won't be one).....boom, you may get dead and your kids have no father. Why? You wanted to be a hero and protect them from something beyond your control.

I said I could understand your feelings on the matter, but anger/revenge will only cause more problems, and having a gun won't solve them.

3. moshpit

moshpit Guest

Your SOOOOO right! I had NO idea before it happened what I would do. I've always been certain it wouldn't include freezing up, but to have actually NOT killed the perp was a suprise and a welcome one at that. I DO NOT relish anybody dying. But if they're a life or death threat, better them then me or somebody I love.

4. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    I agree, I lived in Germany for three years and didn't find the police any different than anywhere else. Actually, I found the Polizei kind of funny. We had a cat stuck in a small tree so someone called the cops for assistance. When the cop got there he looked up in the tree, gave it a few shakes and the cat jumped out of the tree. The cop turned to us and said in his best english, "Kitty down now" and left. We laughed our arses off over that one. LOL

5. moshpit

moshpit Guest

Sota, QUIT already with the revenge crap. NOTHING I've said included ME getting any kind revenge, quit twisting my words. And STOP with the Hero Bull$hit now, your being insulting and I'm TRYING to calm down, but your being an a$$ and repeating the same thing over and over. If he had a gun he wouldn't have gotten it out any quicker then he was with the knife, but I WOULD have killed him then!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2005
  6. the_cleric

the_cleric Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Again...you must be joking.
    Who the hell told you that? That's ridiculous..haahahah...very funny indeed. In Germany a gun is the last option for a police officer! The last! And they will be held accountable for shooting innocents. Fully. And if they can't give a serious reason for firing their gun they go to jail. Just like a criminal.
    Actually I think that's more what your police is like.
    At least if I'd take your post as irony you would be the perfect left wing liberal...lol

Hahahahahha....you made my day :D at least some fun with all that work I have to finish. German police tends to be kinda goofy sometimes.
    But not the special units. They're known to be some of the best (namely GSG9).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  7. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    K guys, please back on topic from now. Beer anyone ?

8. moshpit

moshpit Guest

I was going on what my superiors told me, and had NO intention of testing it. If it's incorrect, then I apologize, but I had NO intentention of finding out for myself if it was true or not...

9. Must Kill Ati

Must Kill Ati Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800le
    I'd hate to have to go back to the days when men with a problem settled it with fists. (sarcasim)
    I'd also hate to bring a knife to a gunfight.

What I don't hate is the ability to choose one or the other.

10. polka

polka Member

GPU:
    inno3d 6800gt
    i live in britain, do you know how many guns i have seen in real life?

none.
    i grew up in rough areas where people were killed through gang fighting etc, but it was all done with knives/bats or just bare hands.

your average british person has never seen a gun,has no concept of guns, and has never had a gun pointed at them.
    even air-pistols are illegal here.

i am thankful that guns are illegal in britain, i think things would be a million times worse if guns were legal here.

if someone pulls a knife out on me, i have a fighting chance of taking it off them and sticking it where the sun dont shine, but guns petrify me.

you cant argue with a bullet.

and gun crime is virtually non-existent in the u.k.

there might be a lot more stabbings here though ;)

11. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Sorry, I don't drink alcohol. It makes me want to grab a gun and shoot someone. ROFLMAO

12. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    What makes you guys think I am mad? I don't get mad on internet forums. That is silly. I will drive in my point though when people don't listen to reason (thus calling me an a$$). I am speaking IN GENERAL. I don't criticize moshpit for doing what he did, I am simply saying he is lucky the situation did not escalate....and that references to what he thought was a success, giving him false sense of confidence he could do it again with the next guy may end up differently (and worse)....and such bravado is not the best course of action IN GENERAL for the average person.

I am making a case as to why guns aren't really all that neccessary for defense, and in fact can make situations worse....which is why Canada is considering doing what it is.

Man, can't people talk/debate without getting angry?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  13. Must Kill Ati

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800le
    Here's a thought....

Ask a Japanese person what happened when Samurai swords were outlawed in public.

14. treed

treed Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 560 TI 2GB

Sure, I'll take a Corona please with a lime. :p I'm sure everyone would like one to calm down, hehe.

15. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Tom Cruise's buddies showed up with a Howitzer and mowed em down....

16. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Har har har. Orange juice for you then. :p

17. the_cleric

the_cleric Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Haha...not your fault they told you something wrong.

But to comment on the view you expressed: Police brutality really is not the perfect way to reduce crime. Banning guns is. Making it easier to kill people (because selling guns everywhere does exactly that) sure doesn't make it harder...see how there's no logic in there? :p

18. dakotase

dakotase Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X850XT PCI-E/NV5 Silencer

I'll take a beer please.

Seriously, this whole issue involves the government or political party attempting to take away the legal rights of individuals, be it guns, freedom of speech, the right to legal council, etc.

If the law says I can eat cheeseburgers, then I will defend my right to eat them.
    If the law says I have the right to own a firearm and carry one with the proper permit, then I will defend my right to own/carry a firearm.

If you don't like cheeseburgers...don't eat them, same goes for guns......just don't try take them from me and others who own them legally.

19. Must Kill Ati

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800le
    To anyone scared of being robbed at gunpoint...

What the hell do you think a blade in your back feels like? How bout a club on the back of the head? Mace in the eyes?
    If none of those bother you, just wait until you get zapped by a person who's wielding a taser!
    God forbid someone break a bottle and point it at you.

Someday, when the mob comes to your house someone holding each of the above named weapons...point a shotgun at them and see if anyone steps up.

Guns are useful, whether you like them or not.

20. moshpit

moshpit Guest

When you accuse people of "acting the hero" when they're doing the right thing, you get what you deserve for such an insult. I'm a trained soldier, a trained martial artist, and a thoughtful and kind person in my day to day life and have NEVER endangered anybody with my actions. The actions I took were necessary and may very well have saved my family from ending up on the 9 oclock news as another terrible tragedy. You speak of my motives with offhanded and uninformed comments like "next time" and "acting the hero" when in fact what I did was totally right and NOTHING you've said changes that. You only look the fool to attack my actions that were PROVEN to be the right ones. Your supposition that if he had a gun would have made a difference has NO bearing on reality as the ONLY difference it would have made is he would have left my property in a body bag instead of in the back of a police car...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.