Possible Hand Gun Ban in Canada

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by zhackore, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    Oh yes, a new controversial topic! w00t!

Anyway, The Liberals are proposing a sweeping ban on all hand-guns in Canada. They said the only people who will be able to own hand guns are legitimate target shooters and they'll have a verification system for that. I wonder if this is even possible. Hand gun collectors won't be exempt from this as it will become illegal to collect hand guns as well.

Also if you own a hand gun illegal or not, you will be able to walk into any police station and hand it in while receiving a cash receipt for that gun, no questions asked.

What do you guys think?

2. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    One of the first steps towards tyranny is for a government to disarm its citizens.

It's already happened in San Fransisco. Only this time, it was the 55% of the voters gave up their 2nd Amendment rights.

If this happens in Georgia, I'm not giving up my guns willingly. I'll hide'em first!

3. dakotase

dakotase Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X850XT PCI-E/NV5 Silencer
    Although this will stir debate, banning guns WILL NOT reduce crime as the anti-gunners suggest. Ask the Bristish.

If you own or collect guns you should fight this proposal to the utmost.

4. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Agreed. Banning guns only takes them away from law-abiding citizens making them vulnerable to criminals who would be able to get a gun legally or illegally.

5. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    To continue this discussion... how do "anti-gunners" protect themselves against crazy gun wielding criminals then, if the criminals are able to legally collect hand guns?

Is there an idea of allowing hand guns to the general public while curbing the amount of violence?

Just look at Toronto, gun violence is up BIG time there. How can regular citizens go about their day in confidence that the goverment is doing something to reduce the amount of hand guns in circulation...

In my opinion, the more guns in circulation the higher the chance of gun related violence. I don't personally own a gun, and nor does any of my family so I'm down with a ban on guns since well I don't use it, and don't intend to. I never here any good things coming from guns, just people getting killed.

So how does a person like myself get into the state of mind that banning guns is removing my rights?

someone help me with this.

6. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Criminals who can't legally get guns will get them illegally anyway. So how do "anti-gunners" protect themselves against such people. They can't.

It's the criminals that are causing the violence, not the law abiding.

Banning guns removes the right to protect yourself and your family from criminals who are immediately a danger to your household (ie. if a burglar breaks in and threatens to kill your spouse.) Also, here in the U.S., the right to bear arms was designed such that if the U.S. government were to become too tryannical, that the citizens can protect themselves from that tyranny. Banning guns removes that protection, and it opens up the gateway to which the government can do anything and everything to you and your family without ever having to worry about you fighting back.

7. dakotase

dakotase Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X850XT PCI-E/NV5 Silencer
    If this happens in Georgia, I'm not giving up my guns willingly. I'll hide'em first![/QUOTE]

Amen brother.

As Charleton Heston so dramatically said "From my cold dead hands"

8. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    well brainxp, IMO I think that right that was granted oh so long ago needs to revised itself. There is such thing as too many guns. Here in Canada we don't have that law, but things seem to be cruising just fine for us.

But after reading your post, I'm still not even slightly convinced about the whole gun thing. Heck after reading the point about "you can't" do anything to protect yourself, I'm begining to lean even further to the side about banning guns...

Ex: Iraq had tons of guns circlulating around, but that didn't stop Saddam from doing all those insane things to his own people.

A tyrannical goverment will not just go against everyone one at once. It's a slow process where they start picking at influential people while generally leaving the general public alone. It is only after many many many years of these removal of rights and people of importance that the public clicks in that they were being screwed by their goverment. I don't want to stray too far into US politics but I'm begining to see more important rights than "rights to bear arms" being removed from US citizens now.

I still need a more useful, enforcable, and plausible solution to the need for public availability of hand guns - while giving those who don't carry guns peace of mind.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  9. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Also, could you imagine advertising this sticker on the front of your house?

[​IMG]

I wonder what the common thugs would think about this one.

10. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super

11. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    Why would anyone do that? I'm not anti-gun fanatic. IMO you're asking for trouble putting signs up. But then again change can happen.

All the anti-smoking laws in Canada have really made a huge impact. The % of new smokers has dropped drammatically. Now its badly looked up to smoke in public generally.

12. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    There is a problem with the gun ban. Most illegal guns are smuggled in from elsewhere. I remember seeing an Oozie that police had picked up. I don't know where you can buy that much firepower in Canada. A hand gun ban won't stop crime at all.

That said, guns are designed to kill and no civillian should have one. Think about how many times a gun has been used to commit a crime, and then think of the number of times that one has prevented one. More are used in crime.

Goes with the above. Police are there for your protection.

Yes. They've already done this in Toronto with a good degree of success. You just turn in your gun, no questions asked.

No I'm not a Liberal before anybody asks.

13. grimsanta

grimsanta Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB @ 575/1750
    Handguns can be good or bad, it just depends on the culture of an area. South Central LA probably doesn't need handguns, but in a place like rural texas or georgia they can protect citizens.

The problem is that in cities, there is a lack of respect. And without respect, handguns are not a viable option to cut down on crime.

As far as canada goes, this is crazy. I'm a liberal american, but seriously, they have like 300 deaths per year because of handguns, compared to america's 10,000. So pretty much they don't need to outlaw them because the culture there knows how to respect the gun.

14. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    the switzerland fact is very representive of culture but not in the way of the US and UK. Switzerland doens't have the population of the US nor does it have the immigration and the multi-culturalism of the US or UK. So using it as an example defeats the point.

It would be very difficult to convince all these different people who live in our society to go out and purchase an assault rifle to store in their homes.

15. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    I don't have a gun, nor do I have any need for one. Having a gun is just asking for trouble imho.

16. treed

treed Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 560 TI 2GB
    I'm rupublican and big time pro gun. I think banning hand guns is just retarded. You just gotta be smart about using one that's all. Seriously what Canada is doing is not a good decision at all. More people are going to be pissed about the change than happy, that's all I gotta say.

17. moshpit

moshpit Guest

Hallaluya brother!!! I didn't serve my country faithfully putting myself in the line of fire just to have my second amendment rights taken away when I'm a responsable and careful firearms owner. There's NO excuse for taking away the citizens home defense when the police take often times more then 30 minutes to respond, leaving us defenseless against those who will get the guns anyway, legal or not. I have a beuiful family and my right to be able to protect them is paramount over ANY arguement for banning guns. What's next, banning knives? Then baseball bats? Then large sticks? Where do you draw the line and actually blame the perpetrator instead of the weapon he chose? The whole arguement for banning guns is rediculous in the extreme because by the same token they're trying to ban guns by, almost ANY object should be banned. Pencils, dowling rods, sharpened CD's, your notebook computer (this could bash a head in REAL easily) statues with pointy edges...

18. treed

treed Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 560 TI 2GB

w000000, Amen to that! Couldn't have said it better. :) This just shows you how liberals shouldn't even run the U.S. at all or else crap like this would happen.

19. moshpit

moshpit Guest

I just had to throw in the "statues with pointy edges" part because in a SICK way, it relates DIRECTLY to this. As soon as guns are illegal, only the perps will get them, and the ones who cannot will still commit the crimes but with whatever ELSE comes easily to hand.

The 9/11 hijackers used cardboard cutters to kill almost 3000 people. Card board cutters, not guns to hijack planes and fly them into the WTC and Pentagon. Should we now ban card board cutters and airplanes too?

20. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Ever tried calling the police during a home invasion? It doesn't happen, at least not without the caller being killed by an armed assailant. Police can't be everywhere.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.