7800GT Mod

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AngryEmo, Dec 8, 2005.

1. AngryEmo

AngryEmo Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6790
    I have placed an order for eVGA 7800GT 256MB RAM.

Since then I've been searching for stuff related to modding. Though there were some links for 'volt modding', none of them seem to even remotely get to 'unlocking' those extra pipes.

Now, is the 7800GT that invincible??

I just wanted to ask whether using rivatuner to unlock pipes invalidates the warantee on the card?

My present card is a GeForce256 32MB card and desperately waitin for my 7800GT.

2. S_Kinton

S_Kinton Ancient Guru

GPU:
    512mb 8800GT & 22" Samsung LCD
    Well if you searched around the forums, especially in the rivatuner section, you would know that the 7800GTs are NOT moddable....... only 6 series agp cards

3. AngryEmo

AngryEmo Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6790
    Well yes. I did see it there, but the catch was NOT 'yet' moddable.....

Being optimistic just because I am shelling out $300 for that :D

4. Homeless

Homeless Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
    I hope you have a new mb/proc to go with that card

5. Pepperoni7

Pepperoni7 Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB +Thermalright V2
    LOL! If not he may as well have gone and bought a Geforce 6100, as we wont see any improvement..

6. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    dude you need a new processor and ram. you wont be able to play new games that easily and your processor will bottleneck like crazy!!! you might as well just get a low end 6 series if youre gonna use that processor

7. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    i doubt that he can flug the card in let alone playing games with that CPU & mobo, lol.

8. AngryEmo

AngryEmo Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6790
    Chill guys........

DFI LanParty UltraD
    AMD64 3700+ Sandiego
    OCZ Gold 1GB ( 2 * 512 MB )
    Thermaltake Big Typhoon
    Seagate SataII 160GB ( *2 )
    Antec Truepower 2.0 480 W
    Antec Performance TX 1088AMG Computer enclosure

I have the mobo right in front of me, but expecting the others to reach shortly :(

So, thought of updating my sig when I assemble and its up and rockin!!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  9. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    That's quite an upgrade. Skipped like 5-6 years did ya.

BTW, I am also one of those people that is trying to be optimistic. I am starting to wonder if I can just flash the 7800 gtx BIOS on it to have them work. It's starting to look doubtful, though. Could be a hard mod later, though.

10. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    the gt and gtx are different chips. the gt has only 20 physical pipes on chip

11. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    nah, they are the same chip, G70, just that the 7800GT is a cut down version with only 20 functional pixel pipelines. I think the 4 disable pixel pipeline are hardwired so it's impossible for soft mod.

12. GuitarScott

GuitarScott Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800GT 512MB
    all the pipes in the g70 chips are laser-cut.. meaning NO mod possible unless you wanna make ur own card.

and unless you had some extemely stock oc'd gt card.. you wouldn't wanna flash to gtx as it wouldn't be able to have the speeds that the bios sets for the gtx.

13. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    You stole my new system, because it is nearly exactly the same as mine.

14. AngryEmo

AngryEmo Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6790

Been a long time I upgraded and I'm tired of envying my firends (especially after farcry) :D

I am neways going to mod my DFI's nF4 chipset to get a DFI SLI-D instead of DFI Ultra-D (its a hardmod). So, I dont care if the mod to get a GTX is a hardmod or a softmod. Hope to start seeing some modding experts coming up with successful methods for the mod. Its a challenge is'nt it?

Please tell me he is wrong :(

PETEY you can take some respite since I'm seriously reconsidering the computer enclosre. I've already blown all my cash and have just enough for the Antec 1088 and two seagate HDDs, but now, I really want a ANTEC P180, and the bad news is that it does not come with a PSU and I'm pondering whether I can hold on to the present barracudas for some more time and get the P180 and a Antec powersupply......

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  15. Banner88

Banner88 Active Member

GPU:
    Sparkle 7800GT
    Are Antec truepower PSU's any good? I thought they had fairly low amps.

16. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I doubt you'll be able to max the detail settings in games with only 1 gig of RAM... it's gonna stutter quite a bit.

That Antec Truepower 2.0 480W has 18A on each 12v rail, more than enough unless you're planning on using it for SLI. And don't forget that the 7800 cards use less power than the 6 series too.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  17. Phillip04

Phillip04 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7800GT
    Yea I have the Antec truepower 2.0 with 18 A, thats 2x18 Amp remember, plenty of power.

18. AngryEmo

AngryEmo Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6790
    Well I had to compromise somewhere given the tight budget I had. The 7800GT was not even on the list when I was finalizing, but the below 300 USD was something I could not just ignore :D

I had the OCZ 2GB kit in plan, but then settled in for the 1GB but I have the advantage of 2-2-2-5 timing so, hope to offset the loss by this tight timings and the new SATAII barracudas should take care of the swap incase my memory isnt enough...

19. [X]Pyro

[X]Pyro Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 6800 GT
    yeah from what i have read the pipes are laser cut,so unless you want to destroy the card it will never work.

as for 1 gig of ram the timings will have nothing to do with it,it's the AMOUNT of ram being used not how fast the ram is,besides timings are only good for maybe a couple fps at best.

when i got BF2,which i no longer play,i found that with all video settings maxxed i was using 1.4 gigs of ram and had EXTREME studder in game,moved up to 2 gigs with the same settings and it is smooth as butter,page filing off the hard drive just destroys performance since memory is a 1000 times faster read than hard drives.

20. AngryEmo

AngryEmo Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6790
    Will have to wait then. But I presume that this would be the last modules of DDR I would be buying. Cos AMD is coming out with DDR2 support on their new processors next year and DDR will be like SD RAM by then - obselete.

BTW Pyro, its interesting to see that you are using 4 modules of DIMMs. Just wanted to know at what timings are you running them and whats your FSB......have you overclocked your system??

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005