A few things on NVidia I need clarified

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Darrin, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Darrin

Darrin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PX7800GTX @ 450/1250
    Ok, I will be the first to admit I am a N00b to Nvidia. Well its been about 5 yrs since my last N card. I know I may have been a bit off putting lately, soz for that.

Ok, first thing 4X AA. My card seems to hate it. ( with newer gamers anyway )
    EG: Quake 4. I run at 1280X1024 4x AA 8X AF all max and get 60 FPS with heaps of slowdown. I lower the res to 1024X768 I get the same thing. Now I lower the AA to 2 and it flies along with very little slowdown.

Why is this? I do remember reading ages ago that N cards had trouble with 4x AA and it was best to use 2 or 8. Is it still an issue? On older game I run 4X AA with no issue, although UT 2004 runs 100% better at 2. Same with all my games.

2nd thing : Max frame render ahead. ( you need cool bits to get this option ) Default is 3. Now I set it to 0 as a test and my games again seem to run a bit better all round, however if I run 3d mark i lose about 500-800 points,Why would this be?

If games run better at 0 then surly 3d mark would be better also, this is not the case. I wonder if I set it to say 6, would my scored go way up.

Some other things also. The AF, tril optimisation options. Reading up on them indicates that it lowers IQ to give better perfomance, nothing wrong with that as I am all for better performance, however yet again I get better scores and games run better if I turn then off. Whats this about?

Well, like I said, I am a newbie to the newer Nvidia cards and I want to learn all there is to know about the little things with it.

Thanks guys for any input . I know many dont say it, but I REALLY do appreciate your time as I know no one is under any obligation to dispence any help or info.

Respect :cool:

2. Vanadis

Vanadis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    Yeah I noticed that too. Especially UT2k4 seems to run smoother with it on.

3. Darrin

Darrin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PX7800GTX @ 450/1250
    U2 hey. its a weird little thing. I found Quake 4 and the NFSMW demo ran a bit better with it set to 0 also.

I will test out 3d mark and try it at 6 later on and see what happens. I think because 3d mark loads everything to memory, the render ahead works better at default 3, so perhaps setting it higher may yeild higher points.

For me though, I have it at 0, if games run better but marks go down, I know what i would rather :D

4. Darrin

Darrin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PX7800GTX @ 450/1250
    True.

I dont know to much about this kind of thing, hence why I ask.

Thanks for that though, alteast now I know :)

So what would happen if i set it to 6 :D

5. Vanadis

Vanadis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    I'm not sure, maybe 6 will be overkill. But there probably is a sweet spot for that value to obtain the higher benchmark scores. :)

6. Chade

Chade Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf 3080 OC
    The Pre-render option limits the amount of frames the CPU will prepare before they are processed by GPU, this is only relevant when V-Sync is disabled. Lowering this limit below 3 will decrease performance but increase input sensitivity, whilst raising it will increase performance but may cause some input lag.

7. Bob00100

Bob00100 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640MB SLI
    Thank you for that info chade, im not sure if i wanna change it to 0 now ...