Forceware 81.94 problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by DaveOwl, Nov 19, 2005.

1. DaveOwl

DaveOwl Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTS
    This is my first nVIDIA graphics card using Forceware drivers so I'm a little unfamiliar with everything.

If I click the Advanced menu after selecting the settings tab in the Display Properties (desktop right click) and select the tab for the graphics card, my desktop resizes to a squashed down and stretched out view of it's former self. The brightness also dims.

The resolution remains the same, though looking at the settings in the actual monitor menu itself they have decreased (brightness, width, height etc) hence the large black borders on selecting the tab.

Basically, is there some setting in the drivers which I've missed which stops this from occuring as it's quite a pain having to change back the brightness/gamma and screen size every time I use the control panel.

2. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC

If the drivers are installed correctly you should have a 'NVIDIA Display' option after you right click on your desktop. Upon resting your cursor on that option, your monitor type should appear to the immediate right. Click on that and then select 'Screen Resolutions & Refresh Rates' to set resolution.

If 'NVIDIA Display' is not present after right clicking on desktop, try reinstalling drivers.

Good Luck

3. DaveOwl

DaveOwl Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTS
    Clearly my luck isn't good ;)

Right clicking and selecting 'NVIDIA Display' then my monitor from the popup - the same happens as if I select the tab on the advanced menu (desktop squash/brightness lower).

Frustrating.

4. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    Might be a driver conflict between the old drivers and the new ones.

If you haven't already try uninstalling the new drivers ( I'm assuming you already have uninstalled the old ones), reboot into safe mode, run a driver cleaner (such as Driver Cleaner Pro, its free) to remove any of your old and new leftover driver files that the control panel didn't uninstall. Reboot back into normal mode and install new drivers.

5. DaveOwl

DaveOwl Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTS
    Thanks for trying although I imagine I should have said no ATI drivers exist on the PC nor older NVIDIA drivers - complete fresh install of Windows, though I ran Driver Cleaner Pro anyway just to make sure.

Same issue all the time. Another issue I've spotted which is very strange is this.

This happens when I right click a folder on the taskbar and certain applications.

6. Wildman95GS-T

Wildman95GS-T Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 2000
    had a simular problem with an older monitor, when i set the resolution higher than the monitor was capiable of reproducing i would get the same results that you are getting.

7. Terry28

Terry28 Member

GPU:
    eVGA 9600GT SSC 512MB Stock
    what is the make and model of the monitor, it definately sounds like resolution and refresh rate causing it, refresh rate can cause the monitor to dim if incorrectly set.

8. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    Agree with above.

9. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I have the same problems with another computer I have.

Specs:

Athlon XP3000+
    Gigabyte 7VAX KT 400 motherboard
    768 MB Infineon PC2700
    BFG Geforce 6800
    Sound Blaster Live 24 bit
    Windows 2000 Pro
    AOC GLR7 monitor (17" CRT)

10. DaveOwl

DaveOwl Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTS
    It's a 19 inch Iiyama Vision Master S900MT1 (CRT). I only use resolutions/refresh rates which the monitor can support so I'm not really sure if that is an issue - I'll change it and try but I doubt it's that.

11. Terry28

Terry28 Member

GPU:
    Well, some people have had issues with the last few sets of Nvidia drivers and their monitors. It is the direct access feature that is messed up for some people, this is what the person recommended and it wouldn't hurt to try.

Quote from another forum:
    "For all those who have troubles with NVIDIA Direct Access resetting the
    monitor config, here is a simple fix...

After installing the drivers go in Windows\System32 and delete/rename the
    following files:

nvmccs.dll
    nvmccsrs.dll

....and the NVIDIA Direct Access will be history."

just rename the files and don't delete them, reboot, then if it doesn't work you can rename them back and no harm done.

12. DaveOwl

DaveOwl Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTS
    The fix you suggested worked perfectly Terry28. Cheers.

13. Zaphire

Zaphire Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 6800 Ultra 256
    Thanx have had this problem also

14. Terry28

Terry28 Member

GPU:
    Glad to hear, enjoy! :cool:

15. Silent Option

Silent Option Master Guru

GPU:
    Two EVGA FTW GTX 260 in S
    I'm using the 81.85 driver I tried the new one two days ago. The screens when I play F.E.A.R., BF 2 and AoE 3 kind of flicker... and I v-sync disable. I have to switch back to this one due to the fact my screen flicker like a 1920s silent movie.

16. Terry28

Terry28 Member

GPU:
    If you use a CRT monitor, you could have tried turning up the refresh rate using the refresh rate overides, my monitor almost gives me a seizure if I try and use it at 60Hz. On my monitor BF2 wants to use 60Hz, but if I use the refresh rate overides in the driver settings, I can tell it to use 85Hz for 1280x960 and 1280x1024 and 100Hz for 1024x768 reguardless of what the game tries to run the refresh rate at. You will need Coolbits installed to see the menu option in the drivers to set the refresh rate overides.