Normal for Counter-Strike: Source?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by zenkmander, Oct 15, 2005.

1. zenkmander

zenkmander Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon 7950
    Well, folks, I've decided to bring my little frustration to you. My specs are on the right, by the way. For some reason, I get an average of 50-60 FPS in bigger maps (dust, italy, assault, and so on). The only map I tend to get 90-100 is iceworld, obviously enough. But the thing is, my settings aren't that high. Take a look.

1024x768
    High Model Detail
    High Texture Detail
    High Shader Detail
    Simple reflections
    Low Shadow Detail
    No AA/AF, vertical sync, or HDR.

Is that suspicious, or is it just me?

2. Mooshan

Mooshan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor 1080
    Are you using DX9?

Because if so, chances are your gfx card is the problem, try lowering model detail to low which shouldn't cause much degrading of graphics quality, and then try putting textures to medium.

If that doesn't help, lower shader quality to Low because shaders are going to push that card too hard.

If it fails to increase your FPS enough, change the DX version the game uses from 9.0 to 8.1 or 8.0 which can increase fps quite alot.

I'm using 8.0 and have an autoexec config that sets everything to lowest (that is settings that can't be found ingame only in config)

i boosted my 88.6fps stress test to an incredible 154.1 by doing so. Although this doesn't reflect gaming performance, it sure did improve my fps alot against other people ingame.

3. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    With that card you should be able to play with all details at high and 4xAA/8xAF easaly with very high framerates. Have you used drivercleaner when you installed new drivers?
    Also check in rivatuner if you don't force any settings.

4. zenkmander

zenkmander Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon 7950
    That's what I thought, Grom. And yes, I always use DriverCleaner; I'm currently using the DriverHeaven Zeropoint 81.84s, but I've had this problem with every driver so far. Do you run CS: Source with all those high settings?

5. KoncreteAngel

KoncreteAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    1800xt 512mb
    That is very normal. I dont want to get too detailed, but I have used 3 different comps with a 9800pro, 6800U, and my current comp on the right.

In order to get good fps most of the time my settings now are this:
    1024x768
    no AA/2x af
    low model detail
    high everything else

Even though average fps is about 160 I still will sometimes get split second drops to about 15-20fps with a lot of physics happening to quickly.

Remember, anyone that says they dont get drops in source is lying.

6. robbyd612000

robbyd612000 Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 7800gt
    Yep, another post on this - happened to me. Normally the physics causes this problem (they are run client side) - you can confirm this if it tends to happen more when nades and the bomb goes off.
    Sometimes this can be a connection problem - use net_graph 3 in console to check loss and choke. If a 66tick server is trying to send out updates to 20 odd clients on 50 odd moving objects things will get a bit choppy.

7. mehdi

mehdi Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5970
    This most be a nvidia problem you can see my setup on the right i play at 1024x768 4aa 8af everything maxed and never go below 80fps in big fire fights on 32player servers.I score 190 in video stress test at those settings.

8. robbyd612000

robbyd612000 Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 7800gt
    If I could be bothered to check I'd probably score well over 200 - but stress test means sweet FA when it comes to a smooth gaming experience online.

9. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Yes, I run it with those settings easely.
    It could also be your mainboard drivers, have you updated those?

Also, if you crank up the detail, will the game run that much slower? Those framerates could also be caused by a CPU bottleneck.

10. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    I have similar settings and get anywhere between 40-90fps. I imagine I could get higher, but I use a high resolution. Here are my settings:

1280x1024
    High Model Detail
    High Texture Detail
    Low Shader Detail
    Simple reflections
    High Shadow Detail
    No AA/AF, vertical sync, HDR set to Bloom only.

But in maps like de_contra with under 10 people I get 190fps sometimes.