getting a new power supply, your thoughts

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by X-Todd, Oct 8, 2005.

1. X-Todd

X-Todd Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256 MB
  2. kovboi

kovboi Master Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek HD4850
    i have the sunbeam nuuo 550w - great modular psu for about $80.

3. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Ultra's very much a second tier psu maker.
    If price is a factor (in the 100 range) just get yourself an antec truepower2 550. May not have the "sexy" factor of removable cables, but it also won't blow up and kill your rig.

4. Crucible

Crucible Guest

GPU:
    Asus Tuf 4090 OC
    No, get an Antec SmartPower 2.0 500 watt. They cost 80-100 dollars. They also have a heat sensor that will modify the speed of one of the fans in it. Mine never has both fans running. It also comes with PCI-e, molex, ata power connecters. It will also work with all motherboards. It has an extra attachment for the newer motherboards that clips onto the 12v rail.

5. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    I'd price out a few of these SLI-certified power supplies, see if any are in your price range:

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build.html#certified_powersupplies

These are units that also did well in THG's stress test, so I'm thinking its probably some of the better ones out there. The SLI part I think may involve dual 12 volt rails too, so maybe an additional expense you don't need.

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/200507111/stresstest-27.html

I guess only the last two in the SLI list are modular, though, and looks like they're $175ish. Antec neopower is modular I believe and other antec models passed the test, however.

6. kovboi

kovboi Master Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek HD4850
    As I said before, the sunbeam nuuo 550w is modular and very inexpensive, usually around $80 (not $175), plus it is SLI certified...though I don't think X-Todd is looking for SLI.
    http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-nuuo-550w-psu-silver.html

7. Crucible

Crucible Guest

GPU:
    Asus Tuf 4090 OC
    Well, they have the one like mine listed as certified for SLI but the 550Watt version. I guess go with the 550 if you think it is a better deal, but keep in mind they are both the same. With the antec, you can switch power connectors in and out. It comes with I think 3 PCI-e, 2 ATA, 3 Molex (can use 4 at a time and all have 2 connecters). Then it works on all motherboards like I said.

8. Renegade87

Renegade87 Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC 256MB AGP
    I had an Ultra X-Connect 500 in my Rig and replaced it with the "Beautiful Beast", the PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 510 Deluxe (modded) after I was continually reading horror stories on the net about the X-Connect's blowing up or arriving D.O.A.

I've been running an Ultra X-Connect 500 in my GF's Rig with no problems whatsoever for well over a year now.

If you need to go modular, I'd look into the OCZ Modstream series (as well as the Antec Neo 480 as previously mentioned).

9. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    *DO NOT BUY THAT PSU*

Yes it's cheap, but it's not worth it. You will have problem later and will fill have a hard time to OC your CPU.
    I feel 16amps at 12v is not enaugh and your Voltage rail will fluctuate too much under load.

I have an TT Silent pure power whit actice PFC whit 18amps on the 12v line and it's not ... well it suffise me, but under big load my vcore line get too low, in order to compensate, I need to push a lot more juice to maintain a stable OC.

Anyway it's only me, im saying this so wont have to spend another 100$ to buy a new PSU because I wasent strong enaugh!

I suggest this one:
    OCZ - 450W ModStream
    - Silent Modular UV Cable Tech & 2X Fan Power Supply (AMD/P4) - ATX/BTX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104154

You wont have any problem, 26amp at the 12v line. No fluctuation, ever.

10. X-Todd

X-Todd Master Guru

GPU:
    hmm thanks for all the info everyone. i have a lot to look into.
    im not really interested in SLI really. I am interested in the stability of it under OCing conditions. i like the modular idea mostly cause i have a windowed case and i like to keep all my stuff as clean as possible. its not necessary to have that. i just dont really want to get one that is like the old style where i have all these dang yellow, red and black cables going everywhere if ya know what i mean :)

11. X-Todd

X-Todd Master Guru

GPU:
    well i looked some over and here are the contenders for me thus far...

http://www.xoxide.com/antec-neopower-480.html
    http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-nuuo-550w-psu-black.html
    http://www.xoxide.com/coolmax-500w-ex-wires-modular-power-supply.html

the pc power and cooling ones are way too expensive for me. im sure they would kick major but, they they will also kick my wallets butt too :)

i kinda ruled out the OCZ one mostly cause that fact that it doesnt seem to have as many hook ups for devices as the others do. i will at least have 3 SATA hdds. and a but load of fans. i wll at least need 2 3 pin FDD type connectors as well. i dont know much about coolmax one. the sunbeam one seems like the best bet thus far for me. i am heeding everyones advice about the ultra PWS. i think i will steer clear of those.

i have a question, what is Dual 12v rails? is that something i will need?
    the sunbeam has 12v1 at 20A and the 12v2 at 18A.
    the antec one has 12v1 at 18A and the 12v2 at 15A. but its also a 480 watt and not 550. the antec one also has the crazy red,yellow, black cables still on them. i hate that.

the coolmax one is 500 watt with +12V: 28A. single rail. but i dont know much else about it, xoxides description doesnt tell you how many connectors it has.

the OCZ one seems ok besides it lacking a bit in the cable connectors. it has +12V: 26A single rail. but also just looking at the guide that was posted by "G L", their Power Stream ones didnt do too well. so that kinda scares me.

anyone else have any comments? i think so far the sunbeam one is looking good. i just want to make sure its a stable one and can handle some Ocing of my rig, and my rig i will want to build next year. (probably amd 64 4000+ with top of line ATI vid card.) i msure kovboi will be happy im heading toward the sunbeam :). but i would like to hear from you guys again...
    thanks again by the way

12. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    From the 3 listed, go whit this one
    Coolmax 500W EZ-Wires Modular Power Supply - Black
    «Awesome» I whish I had choosen it. almost 30a at the 12v line!

Sunbeam would be second
    Antec third

13. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    I wanted a PC Power & Cooling 510 AG, but i will have to do with a Fortron FSP550-60PLN since there are no PC Power & Cooling PSUs for sale in Europe... :(

14. X-Todd

X-Todd Master Guru

GPU:
    is the main reason why you like that one FNK is the 12v amperage? whats all this stuff about dual railed 12v stuff? what is that all about?

15. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    Ok, why more amperage is good.
    When I first bought my system I had 450w (max) Psu that came whit a cheap cheap cheap cheap PC case. It made a lot of noise, the voltage Rail was horrible, I had tough time OC anything, could not get stability on the system except when on default setting. CPU not OC, GPU not OC...

Then I got sick of it and bough an TT 480w silent pure power. Yeah! Nice buy! Dead Silent, compared to the other and I was able to OC whit a good voltage rail and 70%efficiency (550w Max).
    The voltage rail is quite stable if not OC, or by a little. But when going into more serious OC, you need stronger equipement.
    I did saw the difference between a cheap and med-good Power Supply Unit. If you can get better for not much, then why not. The CoolMax seems better from the spec.

But did you search for "review" over the net?

And this link explain the dual rail:
    http://www.techenclave.com/forums/dual-12v-rail-psus-why-they-4622.html

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/image-vp472789.html#472789
    There is no real benefit.

16. X-Todd

X-Todd Master Guru

GPU:
    hmm i was looking for a review, and i did actually find that page from nforcershq.com. the first link is a good link, thanks. it explains a lot.

17. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    I think the idea with multiple 12v rails is for SLI, because you then have three 100+ watt components, I believe all on the +12v line. If the situation is such that you need massive power for the CPU but not much else, then a single 12v line with all the juice may be better than two seperate lines.

18. Inkwell

Inkwell Member

GPU:
    GeForce 6800 GT
    I'm also looking for a power supply for my system. I've read up on the 12v rails, but I am still a little confused. Would I need it for my system? I plan to overclock my processor when newer games start getting the better of it, and my mobo does not do SLI.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my mobo has the 20 pin connector, so can it still use the dual rails? I'm sorry that I'm so clueless, I just don't know much about power supplies.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  19. X-Todd

X-Todd Master Guru

GPU:
    i think the dual rails are more of an internal thing. the 20 pin thing is just the connector for the mobo power. just newer mobos (some) have a 24 pin one.

for you inkwell a single will be fine, but i would just try and find something you like. just make sure that the 12v is a decent aperage for whatever you get, whether single or dual.

20. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it... if multiple 12v lines was a necessity, more models would have it, and I doubt it could matter so much as to actually hurt your overclock either way, its not like you're going for 4 GHz here. I'd just go with the NUOO, looks pretty good.