Can't Alt tab / windows key in games

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by roflcopter, Oct 3, 2005.

1. roflcopter

roflcopter Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800nu OC (385/785) 12p6v
    Hi, ever since i updated to service pack 2 i'm not able to alt tab or minimize using the windows key in games that i was normally able to do so in. I've installed XP many times on this computer and i think my key is on it's last activation, and my SP2 update dates too far back to perform a system restore.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to try, CTRL alt delete works but my computer restarts on map change or closing the application after i do that. I've scanned for viruses with multiple virus scans such as panda and trend micro and nothing has come up.

Thanks for all replies / suggestions.

2. Beavis

Beavis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Quadro K620
    I think it depends on the game. Some games support Alt+Tab while others don't. Half-Life 2 claims it can support Alt+Tab but it only works for me half the time *roll eyes*.

3. roflcopter

roflcopter Member Guru

GPU:
    it was working in all the games i own except for quake 3 (which doesnt allow minimizing) before i installed sp2

games such as painkiller, half life , half life 2 no longer allow me to minimize unless i ctrl+alt+delete =[

4. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2005

5. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600LE @ 430/490
    and have a look at this reg key :
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Name: Coolswitch
    Type: REG_SZ
    Value: 1 enable switching
    Value: 0 disable switching

A reboot in necessary for the settings to take effect, But it doesn't work all the times !!

:( :p

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  6. roflcopter

roflcopter Member Guru

GPU:
    coolswitch was already set to 1 :(, i downloaded the program but i can't really find what i'm supposed to do, or is all that it would do is change coolswitch to 1?

7. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Is it just the Alt+Tab key that is not working, OR is all hotkeys not working ?

Does the Alt+Tab work normally (I mean when u are not playing games) ?

8. roflcopter

roflcopter Member Guru

GPU:
    Yeah alt tab, and the windows key work in windows, just not in any games.

ctrl alt delete is my only alternative that works but for some reason if i do that my computer restarts when i either
    a.) close the game i minimize in
    b.) the map changes in the game i minimize in

=[

9. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    then I think Alt+Tab is being disabled by the games.

It seems starnge that the PC restarts only when there is a change in map or u end-task the game, it may be a memory issue, try increasing your ram, test your memory with memtest.

Also try sme other shortcuts like Ctrl+Shift+Esc, Ctrl+Esc, etc

10. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    What about

Windows logo key(Start)+D = Show the desktop

Windows logo key(Start)+M = Minimize all windows

Try running the game(s) in window mode and see if it get's easier to minimize. If not there may be other reasons such as Keyboard drivers. The game(s) have bind functions to Tab, Alt etc. etc. try unbinding the keys.

And just to make you feel really dumb i will now talk to you as if you were stupid...oh don't be alarmed it's normal procedure. ;)

Alt+Tab instructions

Remember to press down the Alt key and keep it pressed until you have pressed the Tab key and released it. Then release the Alt key.

11. roflcopter

roflcopter Member Guru

GPU:
    not one game that i own will let me minimize, and i am holding alt+tab or hitting the windows key, i tried the windows+d/m no luck with those either.

all the games i'm trying these in also i was able to minimize in before, such as quake3,painkiller, half life, half life 2, and many more non popular games :[

edit * after re checking drivers, i discovered that my old logitech drivers never actually uninstalled when i attempted to uninstall them. i re-tried through safe mode and everytime i reboot windows automatically installs the logitech drivers ( i don't own a logitech keyboard anymore ) how would i go about preventing this without access to drivers for my current keyboard (not a brand keyboard) :[ ?

[​IMG]

12. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Try installing the right driver "on top" off the logitech as a upgrade (i.e. don't uninstall the old driver first). That should mean XP's Plug and play wont install a driver when you reboot.

However drivers left on the system can be removed but are sometimes hard to find.

Here is one for MouseWare should give you a idea of the placement of the files and reg. entries.

Manually Uninstalling Logitech® MouseWare® from Windows® 2000 and Windows® XP
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?p...&showalldocuments=0&countryid=19&languageid=1

Booting clean
    http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/logitech_en_amr.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=228

Pretty sure drivercleaner won't work with logitech drivers
    http://www.drivercleaner.net/

13. roflcopter

roflcopter Member Guru

GPU:
    alright just got the driver issue taken care of, but still minimizing doesnt work :[

14. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
  15. roflcopter

roflcopter Member Guru

GPU:
    after instalilng taskswitch windows key still wont minimize, although alt-tab now works ;D thanks :]

16. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Cool, no problem. ;)