Card Decision

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by thechiweenie, Sep 29, 2005.

1. thechiweenie

thechiweenie Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 3850 512mb PCI-E x16
    Here is what I have to work with, my current computer ->
    Since this is for my current computer I need AGP 8x, I currently am without a TV and so for the first time got me looking into ATi's for the AIW. Now I am stuck between what I think are two decent cards so I turn to you wise and knowledgeable Gurus. With my current CPU I think I will bottleneck the powerful x700 Pro, but it will be much faster than my current card anyhow. Although I can get the AIW 2006 Edition based on the 9600... for the same price. So which for my system! is best?

2. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    What do you want more...TV or faster games?

3. thechiweenie

GPU:
    well

If I can get faster games... yeah faster games, but what of my CPU wouldn't there be a bottleneck?

4. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Whats the max you can spend?

5. thechiweenie

GPU:

I am kind of not wanting to go more than $200 but I can get both these for $179, after rebates. Especially cause I am gonna start building my next rig sometime after Longhorn is released. I need this card to play Guild Wars without crashing... and I can sell my current card for some cash, my parents are gonna help me out since they took my TV after theirs went kaboom during the Hurricane.

6. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
  7. thechiweenie

GPU:
  8. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Save some money for your future rig, and get better gaming performance now with this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102362

My gf plays Guild Wars and has my old 9800pro in her rig. Runs it perfectly...cranked detail etc. I'd take a 9800pro over a x700 or a 9600 any day. I'm sure most would agree. One of the best cards ever made for its time.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  9. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    A cpu will always be a bottleneck,one way or the other.
    Yours is fine for all tips given here.
    Just keep in mind they work togetter but also have independent needs(cpu and gpu).
    So a game requiering more cpu power then you can provide will suffer regardless of the graphics card that is present.

10. PhelanPKell

PhelanPKell Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295 Red
    RE:

Pretty much true, with the exception to this rule being the new aspect of the 6600 and 6800 Series 6 GeForce cards. They have a secondary processor on the cards that unloads tasks from your CPU in order to allow your CPU some extra freedom.
    But than again, those are NVidia's. oO

FYI, I did just swap my BFG 6600 GT OC for an X700 Pro ViVo Edition...and so far the 6600 seems to have performed a bit better...:(

11. Mr.KoReAn

Mr.KoReAn Active Member

GPU:
    9800pro to xt 424/771 with logisys cooler
    go for the 9800pro and mod it to an xt :D but if u want to stay ati then i would go for the pro but imo i would get the 6800 and unlock it or w/e

12. Ehecu

Ehecu Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5750
    I'd go for the 9800 Pro if you're looking to stay with ATi, though overall, the 6600 GT performs better in most games. Actually, if you're looking towards nVidia, you might as well go ahead and get a 6800nu for under $200. All AGP of course...