best prformance from x800 xl

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by jason_r90, Sep 20, 2005.

1. jason_r90

jason_r90 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA 7900GT KO 1.45@630/1660 SLi
    What can be done to get the best performance from a x800xl?
    Can it be flashed with a better bios?
    What is the best timmings for it?
    What is the best OC for it?
    Change voltage?
    Just looking for some suggestions..:)

2. KL9470SpiN

KL9470SpiN Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870 X2
  3. jason_r90

jason_r90 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA 7900GT KO 1.45@630/1660 SLi
    I've OCed mine to 425/1110 runs stable. but would like to go higher ....maybe with better timings and a volt mod

4. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2005

5. pantsmachine

pantsmachine Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 260gtx
    don't know about software upgrades but i o/c using ati tool to 435/1080 from default settings of 400/980 for day to day gaming and 450/1180 for test runs. A5 looks like a nice aftermarket cooler. While we are on coolers what the hells the score with these cards in that they exhaust into the case space. Load of crap in my opinion, the game has moved on enough that this shouldn't be the case, lol.

Lastly can't comment on vmods as i'm a big girly fearty when it comes to soldering irons and equipment i have personally paid for.

6. KL9470SpiN

KL9470SpiN Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870 X2
    Yeah maybe you were right, i prob should have went with that.. i shou,ld though still be able to run battlefield 2, and doom3 ect.. with this card, which is all i care to do.. Thanks for the info though

7. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    np. The x800xl is a fine card anyway.

8. iamatmylimit

iamatmylimit Member

GPU:
    ati x800xl
    im getting an x800xl soon.i hear its on par with 6800 gt.this true?

9. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Yep.

10. TROLL131313

TROLL131313 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI X800XL-PCIE OC'd @445 & 1100
    I have my X800XL OC'd to 445/1100 and run these speeds all the time.

The first thing I did when I bought it was to remove that POS cooler that it came with and replaced it with a Zalman VF700Cu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118117

My core temp never go's above 60c, even when I play FEAR with all of the settings on high.

11. uipo

uipo Member

What is up with this card? I don't know if I got a bad one and should RMA it back to newegg or what. I don't even know how to send it back because I've never had to, but seriously. My fps in dod drops to around 60-70, and my drivers seem to be pooping on me all the time. I basically have 100 fps 85% of the time but eh. As for cs:s I drop down to 60-70 fps also. I am just trying to figure out if this is the best I can get or if I have a bad card. I have friends who get constant fps in these games with x800 pro and a 9800 pro. Just checking <3

12. uipo

uipo Member

Oh and my system is pent 4 3.0 ghz, 1 gig of PNY ddr400 ram, 200 Gig seagate harddrive with a 40 gig crap drive. xp home edition, crappy audio, and my mobo is a abit IC7-G, and yes my bios are updated for that. Also, where can we get bios and whatnots for this card. I have tried 10 diff drives, and looked for bios, but clueless. I got a gigabyte card btw.

13. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Your cpu isn't the best i believe,so that could be a reason for Css to give "lower" fps then you want it to.
    However,your fps seem reasonable with everything maxed out in Css.
    Also,who knows what features are disabled with autoexec.cfg for Css?
    You can add certain commands that are not really visible when playing but does increase your general fps.and ofcourse,how busy is the server you play on?The more players in,the less fps you get,or bigger fps jumps up and down.

Css is very much cpu depended,and with the x850xt pe you should get around 100fps in the stresstest with settings maxed out at 1024x768 resolution AA and AF also maxed out.

Playing farcry on high settings gave me from 75fps up to well over the 150fps,depending on which scenery i was,AA and AF disabled.
    Also in very crowded levels i could drop for an instance to 50fps.

14. uipo

uipo Member

Yes, but my crappy radeon 9000 runs a wee bit better. My benchmarks for 3dmark05 were terrible. On the first 3 I got 30 fps per, and the last one I got like 1 fps per. And my benchmark was like 5k.

15. uipo

uipo Member

and my cpu isn't crap. 3 ghz is fine, and my mobo is good. I don't understand how it could be crap because I didn't get an amd? :<. btw my processor is clocked at 3.8 at 42 degrees....so plz don't blame my other hardware.

16. uipo

uipo Member

and I looked up reviews and tests, it said that the x800xl was as good as the 6800 ultra. The x850xt pe is the best card out, as for the ultra, it has better shade effects and what not, but the x800xl is just as good. But in my eyes I haven't seen why yet. 3dmarked05 at 4800. I went back to old vid card for run, a radeon 9000 and 3dmarked05 at 4500. And you said my cpu was bad, pfft.

But now how do I return the video card to newegg to get a diff one or my money back? :< I haven't done this yet haha.

17. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Thats simply not accurate. A x800xl is equal to a 6800GT, not an ultra. And as for your 9000 running it better, I dont think so. Your 9000 was a dx8 card. The x800xl is dx9. Lot more going on with rendering in dx9 compared to dx8. I bet you have better image quality with your new card. You cant even compare the two cards. x800xl blows it away.

And if you have everything maxed out in game, you cant complain about 60-70fps. That's excellent frame rates.

Have you overclocked it yet? 5k is pretty much right on target for a stock x800xl. Again, your 9000 was running dx8, not dx9. There is a big difference. There's nothing wrong with your card.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    In fact it's impossible to run 3dmark05 whit Radeon 9000.

19. StatykiVi

StatykiVi Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 8 GB
    I recently purchased the ASUS ATI Radeon X800 XL from newegg, PCI-E. What kind of overclockability can I expect from it? Stock is 400/980 I believe. I read reviews on it and it says that ASUS really put a nice cooling system on it. A lot nicer than some of the other rip offs out there, such as the gigabyte one. Not even a fan, just some crappy heatsink. Reviews said it overheated like nobody's business. Oh well, I'm getting off topic.

The main point is, do you think I can reach 425/1000+ on this card without causing or risking damage? This is my first computer build and I am scared to do anything drastic, as I built it on a budget, and I don't think I'll be able to replace it unless I RMA it or something.

I haven't gotten all the pieces yet for it, my motherboard and processor along with the heatsink come Tuesday. I'll set it up that night I guess and pull some benchmarks on it.

20. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    You should be able to reach that. Only way to find out is to try.
    The best thing you can do is get more ram, just by looking at your specs to the right. If you really only have 512, games are going to be sluggish with the hard drive spinning so much. Get another 512mb of ram. 1gb of ram is pretty much the lowest you want to go. 2gb is becoming the standard.