11 Senators Vote AGAINST Katrina Aid

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by rEbirTH, Sep 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yojimborobert

yojimborobert Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GT @ stock
    it's this kind of crap that's sending me away from guru3d... Somebody starts a thread about a situation they know little about. Then everyone else chimes in, and if you don't agree (even if you know more about the situation, or are more effected by it), you are considered a heartless bastard that deserves to be dragged into the streets and shot. If there wasn't such ignorance and blind attacks, I would probably post a lot more.

My view? I don't know enough about what the package entails to tell you why some people voted against it. I do know FEMA was going to hand out 2000 dollar debit cards to relief victims, but more people tried to sign up than were victims. I also know that some of the "victims" have been firing guns at helicopters and workers, and that there was even sniper fire on a hospital. I also know that the levy was not properly maintained, and that even if it was, it wasn't necessarily built to withstand a hurricane of this magnitude, and on top of that, building a coastal city below sea level is not a smart idea. You guys can go on criticizing everybody else, but considering the hard facts I have presented you with, I think you should shut your mouths.

2. [X]Pyro

[X]Pyro Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 6800 GT
    totally agree.

3. rEbirTH

rEbirTH Guest

eh, no. Try not to put words into people mouths, not a good habit. If I wanted you to be shot for being heartless that would make me as heartless as you. So, thats nonsense.

So, you would keep help from the vast, vast majority because an extreme minority acted like thugs...That makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

Another thing, the people alive there today did not choose to have their city built where it was built. All the children that were born there and lived there had no choice. Yeah, lets not help those children because of where they didn't chose to live. Makes sense. :rolleyes:

Again, people like you are heartless and cant find it in your heart to have real compassion for others, even if these others don't neccessarily deserve your compassion.

4. [X]Pyro

[X]Pyro Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 6800 GT
    well i hope my opinions don't get me banned,but!

well rebirth, even in the bible it says we are not to surround ourselfs with fools lest we will become a fool....live in a foolish place....well you get the idea.

again we did not tell those people to keep kids in a doomed city now did we,that was their own doing not ours,so why tell us we are heartless.
    the parents of those kids are the heartless ones!

and as for thugs,doesn't that show you the kind of people you are helping,look at all the stuff thats happened in the super dome,you don't hear about anything like this anywhere else just in new orleans,and other communities have been slammed just as hard if not harder...besides the water,which was there own fault to begin with.

this is just my opinion,slam me if you must,i'm a big boy i can take it!

5. yojimborobert

yojimborobert Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GT @ stock
    I was speaking metaphorically. I guess I have to spell everything out for you since you can't make basic inferrences as that.

The first thing they teach you in first aid training (red cross), is that you must make sure of your own safety before helping somebody else. That means don't try to drag somebody off of a busy highway, don't try to jump in a rushing river to save a drowning person, and don't walk into gunfire to provide aid. If you do these things then you will become a victim yourself.

For every child that lives in N.O. there are parents who decided to live there. Children aren't just spontaneously born in an area.

Just because I pointed out many stupid mistakes, that makes me heartless? There have been warnings about this storm for weeks... people were told to evacuate long before it hit. Those people chose to stay, and now they are suffering the consequences of their decision. I'm not saying we should let them sit and rot, I am saying that they should begin to help themselves before they go around blaming other people for not helping them.

6. rEbirTH

rEbirTH Guest

sorry, you are not understanding what you are reading. Those 11 VOTED NAY on the actual aid money. No one is spreading misinformation, your were just a little igorant in this case, no offense.

Heres a general summary of the bill:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:HR03673:@@@L&summ2=m&|TOM:/bss/d109query.html|

If you scroll down about halfway you will see major
    actions on this bill, H R 3673. The senate passed 97-0, the house 410-11.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2005
  7. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    i have to agree with pyro...
    nice big bowl in a 3m dipression- NOT A PLACE TO LIVE!>!>.
    every1 with least knowladge knows or must have heared that N.O was under this threat since DAY 1.. no man made defense or any magical construction would have stopped the force of hurricane katrina... reports of the hurricane were out 4 weeks it hit N.O .. those ppl should have got out of dere.

sure help is being sent and it is true to vote against is bad but what u expect when u have a situation similar to civil war? trying to gun national guard.. not wanting to be saved.. and looting ...makes you think these ppl dont want to be saved??

as pyro said ppl should help themselves before asking help...

8. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    I think those people should burn in hell.

They dont want to help their people simply because of some xenophobia to black people.

Just they are STUPID!!!

9. [X]Pyro

[X]Pyro Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 6800 GT
    and tell me if i'm wrong,is there something wrong with this sentence in the bill:
    Designates such amounts as emergency requirements which shall shall not count for budget enforcement purposes of the Congressional Budget Act of 1974.

all that money and they can't structure a sentence properly.

and whats this,telling them they can monopolize who gets to sell what to whom?

Increases from $2,500 to $250,000 the maximum amount (micro-purchase threshold) of such a purchase that: (1) may be made without obtaining competitive quotations; and (2) need not be distributed equitably among qualified suppliers.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  10. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    How on earth is this a racial issue? Since Je$$e Jackson made it one? People need to quit making everything a racial issue. It does nothing to resolve any racial tensions--it only increases them. White folks lost their homes and businesses down there, too.

11. [X]Pyro

[X]Pyro Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 6800 GT
    and by the way what color are most of the people doing the rescuing anyways, by majority it's white people.

12. Richard_Noggin

Richard_Noggin Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GT 512MB
    are u watching fox news ?

13. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    I agree completely...

I don't think voting against AID was a smart idea politically, but it would be nice to know why they voted the way they did before I passed judgement.

14. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Are you actually trying to deny that thug wannabe's having been raising havoc and getting in the way of help. I certainly hope not.....

15. mcnabb311

mcnabb311 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X ATI 4870 512MB X-Fired
    How did you come to that conclusion?

16. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GF8800GTS 640MB @ stock
    Where to start with this? Many people living in New Orleans were what you could call an under-class, who did not have a car to drive out of the area when the hurricane was imminent, or the money to permanently move to another city previously. Therefore they were unable to live elsewhere, they were to all intents and purposes locked into living in run-down areas of New Orleans.

Now any civilised country would not have left its citizens with no means to escape the city when faced with an impending disaster, there is something called public-transport that is widely used across other highly developed areas like Western-Europe, Japan, etc, that if America wasn't so car-centric could easily have moved many more people. Of course America loves its gas-guzzling cars and some people who have posted in this thread seem to think anyone without one isn't worth saving.

When left without any sort of help in a a totally devestated and flooded city for several days as many residents of New Orleans were, you are going to turn to desperate measures to ensure your survival. Looting shops is a no-brainer, you need food to survive and you need to get it from wherever it is available. What is unacceptable was how the authorities allowed the situation to degenerate to the point where ordinary people needed to loot shops to survive, and the inevitable lawlessness that caused. Sending in the military several days later and finding desperate people carrying and using guns is no great surprise; the veneer of civilisation most of us live in is very thin and can break more easily than you think.

Of course a coastal city below sea-level is risky, but the risk was increased considerably because funding to maintain and improve the levees was diverted elsewhere. It was (and continues to be) increased by global-warming, of which the USA is the major contributor to, and Bush's energy-policy and refusal to sign-up to the Kyoto agreement proves his disregard for the rest of the world. Finally now that Katrina has shown global-warming can hurt America rather than just third-world countries, maybe some good will come out of this mess and America will take environment issues seriously.

And on a less serious note, you said "no man made defense or any magical construction would have stopped the force of hurricane katrina". Well actually the levees could easily have been strengthened to withstand a category 4, or even category 5 hurricane if funding for their maintenance and improvement had been provided. It isn't rocket-science, they're essentially just large dams that could have been made larger and stronger. As for magical-constructions, I think you'll find there are any number of powerful spells from most fantasy gaming-systems that could have been used to provide a force-wall easily capable of withstanding something well above a category 5 hurricane, provided you had access to powerful enough spell-casters.

17. mcnabb311

mcnabb311 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X ATI 4870 512MB X-Fired
    PrinceGaz, you pretty much said the exact same thing you posted earlier on page 2. I also responded to your comment. Instead of repeatin it, I will quote it.

Also I know I stated somewhere about the funding for levee improvements. Clinton and Bush both cut funding for levee improvements. City and state officials stole alot of the money left over. Local taxes were voted down for levee improvements also.

18. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Well this is the first time in my lifetime that a natural disaster was blamed on people. How ridiculous some people must be to cast blame on Bush or a particular group of people when it was a natural disaster.

Now, about that global warming thing...

http://www.nationalcenter.org/NPA235.html

19. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GF8800GTS 640MB @ stock
    That article dates from 1999, much more evidence of the melting of permafrost and large amounts of the Antarctic ice-sheet breaking away point to global-warming being very real. Sea temperature is also rising as a result, and that is exactly what triggers more powerful hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico.

Your use of an old article is exactly the kind of defence the Bush administration uses when they refuse to sign-up to Kyoto. No, it isn't really happening because there is no proof, and this report confirms there is no warming. When almost every other scientist not on the payroll of a fossil-fuel company acknowledges our planet is warming as a direct result of our actions.

20. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GF8800GTS 640MB @ stock
    I think you'll find I had only previously mentioned how we knew a storm was going to strike sooner or later, that the US are a major contributor to the global-warming which may have triggered Katrina, and also that the US does not deserve monetary charity from other countries as they have enough money already. I covered a much broader spectrum of topics in my recent post that you quoted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.