Forget PCI Express, it's time for PCI Express 2

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by gdeliana, Aug 31, 2005.

1. gdeliana

gdeliana Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1660 Ti
    Sorry but enthusiasts should upgrade mobo once again if they want the latest technology. Look at this news from the inquirer, probably some of you may have ee this.

"WHILE A LOT of people haven't got themselves fangled up for PCI Express yet, and AGP cards are still selling well, Intel told developers last week to be ready for PCI Express 2.

Ajay Bhatt and Ramin Neshati, who work at the Intel Corporation, divulged architectural extensions for PCIe II, with products expected in 2007-2008.

Features for PCI Express II include better formance at 5GHz PHY, device virtualisation, trusted platforms, and different sizes - or form factors as the jargon goes.

Luckily, you won't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater, because PCIe II will be compatible with PCIe 1.x, using the same power budget and the same clocking architecture. But the silicon cost will be cheaper, and so will the clocks.

A new form factor, or size as it's called in AmerenglishIntel discovered that systems are constrained by jitter and not voltage margins, and hitting the "jitter budget" is a fundamental requirement for version 2.0.

Five GHz devices have to operate at 2.5GT/s or 5.0GT/s. and the transmitter, receiver, reference clock and channel must all be 5GHz capable to get to that kind of performance.

The virtualisation feature will allow multiple OSes to run simultaneously and share the platform hardware resources, effectively sharing PCI Express devices.

OS improvements can lead to increased IO attacks on systems, so PCIe II will try and include better trusted computing. There will be a trusted configuration space, and a trusted configuration access mechanism will be included with modifications to the trusted platform module (TPM) to enable that.

Different sizes of devices will be included for wireless radios in the notebook lid. PCIe II may also include two distinct types of connector assemblies."

Source
    http://www.theinquirer.net/

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    interesting.. if in fact its legit

3. CJ3D

CJ3D Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    Yup its always better to wait for new technologies to settle before leaping in.
    Lucky I havent upgraded yet and still have an AGP system ;)

4. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro

5. solidsnake313

solidsnake313 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Albatron GF9500 GT 1GB
    OMG! i was just planning to go for PCIe...
    man, i'm doomed to be behind the new technology for eternity!!
    btw, what gfx cards are gonna use this new baby??

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  6. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    Well thats 2 or 3 years ahead... and PCI-E is in the present... and im sure alot of u will be wanting nice graphic cards that will be coming to only PCI-Express.. ;)

But the good news is that if u buy the 7800 it would work on the new PCI-E2... so ur money isnt thrown out the window... :)

Still the subject of do we really need it comes into play here...
    I mean we still didnt use up AGP8's full resources, and the same applies to PCI-E1... so whats the point?

7. NeTbLasT

NeTbLasT Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi Mobility Radeon 9700 64MB (OC)
    We still have plenty of time to torture those PCI-X GPU before we can beat the hell out of PCI-X2...

8. Whatthehell

Whatthehell Guest

I'm still thinking about upgrading to 8x agp,,,, LOL

9. GunBLADE

GunBLADE Active Member

GPU:
    BBA Radeon X850-XT PE
    give me a
    O

10. solidsnake313

solidsnake313 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Albatron GF9500 GT 1GB
    just how heavy can gfx data become to exceed the bandwidth limit of PCIe 1?? i really wonder! AGP 8x is more than enough for me now...

11. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

This upgrade should be at least in 2 years.
    If not, im going from AGP8X to PCI-E 2 skipping PCI-E.

12. 2161

2161 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 SSC
    If your willing to wait for PCI-2 then I bet you can't wait for the transistor to be replaced in about 10 years or so. I just got my new MB today.....so I guess I'll have to upgrade again 2007. But then again no computer you build will ever be upgraded enough, right?

13. Killerz_4_Hire

Killerz_4_Hire Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX XXX HD6950 1GB
    Man time to upgrade again? Thank god its in 2 years because i have no $$ to spend on that. I might as well skip PCI-E2 and get like pci-e3 if they still use the pci name which i highly doubt.

14. NeTbLasT

NeTbLasT Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi Mobility Radeon 9700 64MB (OC)
    Maybe they'll invent something new called AGP-2??? hehehe

15. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    Oh no doubt somthing called AGP express will take over at some point just like agp did with pci, the only thing that really bothers me is that these updates dont provide anything we need like faster performance if anything AGP is still slightly faster than pci-express so why are they bothering, its because we will all go out and buy this sh*t thats why!

i really want to upgrade my 9700pro but then i think whats the point im playing BF2 on high with a decent fps and bf2 isnt optimised yet.

If i buy an upgrade i want to see a huge performance increase, parts are getting dearer and dearer to buy so for me it has to worth every penny.

:)

16. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    You're doomed? Look at my rig!!!

17. Ehecu

Ehecu Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5750
    Technically speaking, we're already on AGP 3.0

18. Rogger

Rogger Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 7800GT
    I don't see how people with decent systems can whine, I'm a victim on Helwett Packard. Well PCI-e2 or not I'm still getting a SLI system for Xmas on PCIe. If AGP is still working for now, PCIe number one will last a while too. More cost effective if you don't waste every penny upgrading when it is impossible to keep up really.

19. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

actually PCI-E2 is not 2-3 yrs ahead it is almost here,
    its been in development since just before pci-e 1 was released

PCI-E2 will also have support for sli devices running at 16x

20. Rogger

Rogger Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 7800GT
    But the upgrade would mean a whole new motherboard woulden't it? But I don't think they would just drop PCIe and discontinue rendering graphics cards on it just cause it has something better. Look at AGP.