I have a problem... I think it's the drivers.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by StitcheS, Aug 29, 2005.

1. StitcheS

StitcheS Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce7 7900GTX PCI-e
    Hey guys,

I don't post much, but read like a madman.

Anyhoo, here is my problem. I tend to have my games crash to a weird point. Where the sound repeats and everything freezes. I have to reboot/restart my computer manually. And I am not sure what is causing this. My specs are on the side, and I have updated everything as of yesterday and to no avail. It seems to play fine for like 20min - 2 hours. Then it freezes. Now, for you powersupply guys, the powersupply is giving everything good power. like 12v is at like 12.5 and all the others are higher then what they should be. And I am sure that isn't the problem. It seems the only thing that has changed is that I have updated to the 77.77 drivers. Which, I thought, were official. So I decided to try the moddified ones by **. I am currently running those, and it seems to have the same problem.

Anyways, it is really bugging me none the less. So, any suggestions? Is there a specific setting?

I heard that it seems that the drivers are creating a weird memory fault. I am not sure if this is true, but it very well could be.

Thanks for your time.

StitcheS

P.S.
    I have read the other threads, that's why I have been trying so much and being unsuccessful sucks.

P.P.S.
    I have also turned off all my overclocking and the same thing happens. This was just a safety try. I was seeing if it was the hardware, but it seems even if I have it all at stock the problem persists.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  2. mrfudge

mrfudge Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTSx2 SLI
    just wondering, your games wouldn't happen to be freezing at cutscene videos would they? if so, update your AGP drivers by going to your mobo's website.

3. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    if you're talking about Battlefield 2 specifically, welcome to the club

the audio loop/crash- to-the-desktop bug is supposed to be fixed in 1.03 patch, but I'm not holding my breath

seems to plague those using onboard codecs instead of better sound cards

if you have an Nforce mobo and an AC'97 codec from Realtek that you use, I would highly recommend uninstalling Realtek and installing Nvidia Audio drivers instead. they don't sound quite as good, but they don't seem to crash as much

4. StitcheS

StitcheS Member Guru

GPU:
    Unfortunately, it's not just cutscenes. It's in game stuff too.

The games I play are:
    BF2, CS:S, HL2, CoD, CoD:UO

All of these games crash, not only to desktop, but all the way out. Forcing me to do a forced reboot. It is kinda stupid, as it happens sometimes in the first 10 min of play, or can wait until like 2 hours of play. It seems to be driver to me. But, I was wondering if there was any sureway to fix this.

Thanks for the help thus far.

5. sentientprogram

sentientprogram Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GS AGP
    I'm getting random crashes and BSODs with sound loops.

Most times I get a BSOD with the nVidia display dll and: stop: 0x0000008E

I don't think the new nVidia drivers like the new intel 875P chipset drivers; because I didn't have any problems before updating the two.

6. Dregur

Dregur Member

GPU:
    GeForce 7800 GT
    Yup, I'm having the same problem with the drivers too. Earliest was 76.45 that I've used so far. Using 78.01, and still have the same problem. It's NOT just a problem with BF2. I've had it happen in BF2, Dungeon Siege 2, City of Heroes, Madden 2006, and just sitting on the desktop web surfing. Same MO, where it gets stuck, sounds loop, then a high pitched whine, which I then just have to do a hard reset.

I've ruled out sound drivers, heat, motherboard, and videocard bios (which I've all updated), and pretty much centered on the drivers for my vid card. Don't know a fix though. Happens rather randomly as well.

-The Grinman :D

7. StitcheS

StitcheS Member Guru

GPU:
    It seems we are all stuck in the same boat. That sucks, cause I really just wanna play games on my last week off before major school rampage. Oh well...

8. StitcheS

StitcheS Member Guru

GPU:
    Hey,

I got some good news. I think I have found a work around on this problem. At least, for the problem with my symptoms. If I start up a game and goof off for like 5 min, then quit out. The next time I play the game it will work normally, and quite possibly indefinitely. So, that is my good news. Try it out and tell me if it works for you guys.

Rock on!

9. sentientprogram

sentientprogram Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GS AGP
    Yeah, It seems that if I run for about 5 min or less then exit and re-enter games it does run for longer without a crash; but when you are doing instance runs in World of Warcraft, this doesn't help much.

10. satorides

satorides New Member

Same thing is happening to me in Everquest. Makes it almost unplayable. I have done 1-2 hours of google searches a day and have posts on various forums with absolutely no luck in a fix. I can get 3DMark05 to run fine and decent test scores in SLI and again on each card in single configuration. I have had no problems in World of Warcraft - but I don't know that game as well so I don't stress it out much in 1-2 hours of play like I can in EQ.

Very very sad.

Satorides

AMD 64X2 4800+
    ASUS A8N-SLI Delux
    BFG 7800 GTX X2
    2GIG RAM
    SB Audigy 2ZS Platinum
    Seagate Barracude 250GB x2 RAID-0
    Enermax 535Watt Powersupply

11. xanderh

xanderh New Member

I have the same problem like StitcheS. I also use the same Asus Mainboard. My GC is a Geforce 6800. Sometime it runs well over a week, sometimes it crashes after some minutes. Need help!!!!!

12. alco

alco Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx780 DirectcuII OC
    did u guys disable the "nvidia display driver service"
    start>run>"type"services.msc

13. xanderh

xanderh New Member

Nope, i never heard about it. Why do think that should help?

14. xanderh

xanderh New Member

I disabled the services.msc but it didn´t work. I let the PC run the whole night, the next morning there was once again a black screen.

I´ll be glad if anybody has a solution for this problem.

15. eternalchaos

eternalchaos Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 640MB 8800gts
    services won't do anything.. thats just a driver helper file that communicates with the nvidia driver to allow for more effective responses.

you probably are getting the audio-loop glitch . as early stated v1.03 of BF2 will fix this"hopefully" its a well known problem just not that wide spread

Kind of like my Guild Wars issue. For some reason I'd BSOD on any driver v77.xx or higher. NOTHING fixed it. suddenly one day GW released an update and no more BSOD . Apparently i was experiencing a "rare bug" that some servers had.. guys are probably getting the same thing.. its a bug in the game that is affecting certain system setups

16. Dregur

Dregur Member

GPU:
    GeForce 7800 GT
    It's NOT the BF2 glitch, this is a system wide glitch that I cannot figure out why it's happening. Not only is it almost completely random when it hits, it completely random what type of programs it hits. I'm leaning toward a conflict between the drivers and Direct X games however, as I cannot remember a time that it ever happened in a OpenGL game, but I can't be sure.

-The Grinman :D

17. SgtSquarenuts

SgtSquarenuts Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 Ultra o/c w/c/Koolance Exo
    It;s an infinite loop caused by most 70 series drivers. Go back to 66.93, that should fix it.

18. m5taylor

m5taylor Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 SC Edition
    I've had this happen to me for all the 76.xx and 77.xx drivers up until 77.77.
    I'm currently running the *G 77.77 driver and so far, no crashes!!!
    Regarding the Intel chipset driver, I only update directly from Intel.
    I never use the beta releases or the latest unofficial release posted in the download section here at Guru.
    I truly believe the crashes are driver related!!!
    The newer 7x.xx releases are more for 7800 support (and now the 6500).
    You might recall Nvidia admitted to memory & crash issues with earlier releases.

Just a note to Stitches......If you don't already, use Drive Cleaner.
    It's really important to clean out all previous driver files and entries.
    Another note (especially with BF2), make sure you have the least amount of running processes in the background. I've noticed BF2 is extremely sensitive to programs running in the background. As a matter of fact, I disable my anti-virus and MS AntiSpyware programs before playing BF2. Btw, before disabling the two above programs, I have 27-28 running process in XP. Another thing, check for spyware, viruses, and all of the other nasty stuff.

Hope this helps......

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  19. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Try lowering your overclock speeds a little as some drivers have a temperature bug or don't let you overclock as high. Memory speeds are the main problem so try winding back the memory on your vid card in 5MHz steps as well as a couple MHz off your RAM speed if that's overclocked too and you don't want to lower your vid card memory much. I've had similar problems so I keep my RAM 4MHz lower theese days and knock about 15MHz of GPU and Vid Memory unless benchmarking with 3DMark.

Thats good advice for BF2, also setting the priority of BF2.exe to below normal in taskmanager has solved my lag problems.

I have all the BF2 ports in the manual opened in ZoneAlarm for BF2 and disable any other progams especially messenger, xfire and antivirus.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005