Why OC no worky?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by BuildeR2, Aug 22, 2005.

1. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Hey all, I have my system overclocked a little bit and was wondering if you could help me find out why my system is not being stable. Here are my exact specs.
    CPU=P4 2.6Ghz Northwood @ 3.250Ghz 1.6Volts
    RAM=2x512 XMS LL BH-5 @ 400Mhz 2-3-3-6
    MOBO=Asus P4P800 Deluxe
    HDD=Maxtor 160GB SATA 8MB Cache
    GFX=ATI Radeon 9800XT @440Core/410Mem
    PSU=Aerocool 550W w/ 28Amps on 12v Rail
    I have been able to run two instances of Prime95 at the same time and it is stable for as long as I can leave it. Some of my games work and some like to blue screen. Windows runs fine the majority of the time. Whenever I did a test with memtest I got like 72 errors. I have my RAM at a 5:4 divider so that it is not overclocked at all. I don't see why it is messing up now. I have gone into my BIOS and changed the RAM voltage to see if that might help. At the normal 2.65 is when I will occasionally get problems or blue screens. At 2.75 or 2.85 I couldn't even get into Windows. So on a whim I tried 2.55Volts. So far everything has beeen fine but I am going to run some more tests and post results. If anybody has any suggestions or ways to increase stability plz let me know. Thx!

2. Willy Boy

Willy Boy Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek PX 7800gtx x2 sli
    If memtest found errors your memory at default settings then it is faulty & WILL cause blue screens deffo !

3. mr.popo

mr.popo Master Guru

GPU:
    CLub-3d 7600GT 256mb
    if your cpu is not stable,try rising cpu voltage.
    what is your cpu temp?
    do you have a unlocked muliplier p4?
    if you want oc your cpu at 3.25ghz than dont use the stock cpu cooler.

4. Goff

Goff Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 55nm SSC
    loosen the timings on your ram, see if that helps

5. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    Your OC is alreaddy good.
    Unstable? well your timing are really tight for an OC system.
    Try loosen them, see it you have the same problem at 3-4-4-8. If not your problem is else were.

How long have you used your system at 1.6v on the vcore?

6. texanterror

texanterror Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7900GS
    well i kno on my mobo the dividers are all jacked up and really dont work right so when it tried pushing my cpu to 270htt it would lock up so i had to put it on auto and since i didnt know exactly what speed i left timmings on auto as well.. worked but cpu wasnt stable lol..

7. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Thx for the suggestions guys! I choose to respond in a weird but cool way.
    Willy Boy: That just stinks cuz I have no money right now for extra of different RAM.
    mr.popo: I am pretty stinking sure my processor is stable cuz I ran two instances of Prime95 for like 13 hours. My temps are about 36C idle and around 50C at full load. My mutiplier is LOCKED and I am using a Zalman 7000CNPS Alcu at full speed.
    Goff: Will try and report back.
    FNK: The thing is that my RAM is really not overclocked because of the divider I am using makes it run at 200Mhz like it normally did with no OC. My RAM is PC3200. I will try loosening my timings. I have been using 1.6Vcore for about 4 months and that's why I am pretty sure the problem is not the processor.
    texanterror: I tried putting some things on auto but I guess I will try putting all things on auto and see what goes on.
    BTW my temps are kinda high cuz it gets really hot in Texas in the middle of the summer. Will report back with results.

8. texanterror

texanterror Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7900GS
    tell me about it.. i got 5 case fan and a jet for a hsf for cpu loll but my temps are fine but geez in my room not a big room with me my big ass dog and my comp it gets like 80 in my room.. its rediculous lol.. but o well price you pay for living in the great state of texas!! :D

9. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Well all is good after trying some of the things you guys recommended. :D These are the current specs of my setup.
    CPU=2.6Ghz Northwood @3.25Ghz 1.632Volts
    RAM=2x512MB XMS LL @400Mhz 2.5-4-4-7
    MOBO=Asus P4P800 Deluxe
    HDD=Maxtor 160GB SATA 8MB Cache
    GFX=ATI Radeon 9800XT@440Core/410Mem
    PSU=Aerocool 550W w/28Amps on 12V Rail
    I am now able to do or play anything I want to! It's so nice having a 1Ghz FSB with a Northy! I am going to see how far past 250FSB I can tweak it. All of my pictures are posted in my photo album. The only problem is that they are high resolution so you might have to download them then look at them to see what's in the picture. I also have some cool pics of other PC parts that you can look at if you feel so inclined. Thx so much for all of your help! Guru3D Forums R0x0rZ
    PS Will post link for pics later. I have to go to the airport to see my cousin off to Utah!

10. truAp0stle

truAp0stle Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI X800XL 256 @ 430~1100 ~Samsung 930b 19" LCD
    Long live Texas~w00t!!

11. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Does anyone know a site that will let them host pictures that are like 4MB in size? If not then I might have to buy some place to put up my photos. I have some cool overclocking photos and would like to share them. BTW I am now trying to see how far I can push my system past 250FSB while keeping it stable. In regards to texanterror and truAp0stle, TX is "The Biggest The Best, Better Than The Rest":cool:

12. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
  13. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Nevermind, I guess I got a little to clock happy. I just found a stable speed about 2 hours ago. Here is my absolute max for my system.
    CPU=2.6C @ 3.18Ghz 245x13 1.632 Volts
    RAM=5:4 Divider running @ 392Mhz 2-3-3-6
    GFX=9800XT 436Core/407Mem
    BTW my PSU has 30Amps on the 12V rail and 36Amps on both the 5V and 3.3V so I don't think the PSU is the problem here. Thanks for all the help and thus concludes this thread unless some miracle happens in the next week.:(

14. tweakboy

tweakboy Banned

GPU:
    ASUS AX800XTPE@550/1215Mhz
    If your getting blue screens, that is 100 percent ram related. Meaning your timings are off, or the ram is getting to hot. Blue screens have nothing to do with how much you OC your cpu..... unless it comes up intiatially when you boot to windows. Thank you hehe

15. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I guess I didn't clarify in my last post. The settings that are in my last post are 100% stable. BTW I just changed my RAM Idle timer from Infinite to 16T and Windows XP is literally like 10 times snappier! Not had a chance to try games yet but hoping same effect is on games.

16. Ehecu

Ehecu Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5750
    Long live Vantec tornadoes!

@ BuildeR2 - Glad those settings are workin' for ya. Changing that idle timer was probably a good idea as well, considering your capacity, infinite is no good. Not that it's any good at all anyway...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  17. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I am like 100% sure this is stable!!! See.

[​IMG]

EDIT: I now have it running at 246FSB with complete stability. Hope to burn in more and get maybe 250. :)