AIW X800XT fan question

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Portz, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Portz

Portz Active Member

GPU:
    2X GTX 275
    Hello,

Just purchased a AIW X800XT AGP (open box special-great deal) and discovered that the fan on it was inoperable when I plugged the card in using the connector on the back of the card. I was dissapointed but thought that it might just be a bad fan, being as it is essentially a used card. Just to be sure, I wired the fan directly to the PSU and to my surprise, it works. Temps on the card seem normal as well.

My question is, how important is it to have the fan plugged into the card as opposed to having it wired direct? The card seems to be working fine otherwise. I'm able to play all games and run all applications without any problem. I was thinking of exchanging it but I really don't think anything is wrong with it besides the fan thing.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

2. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PlayStation 3 + Samsung HDTV
    I think it would run fine , Ive seen this else where and I cant remember where..

Im not sure though but I dont think you will be able to control the fan speed from software such as ATI Tools...

So it might not run at full speed i.e the Fan , I would take it back becuase when you come to sell it your gona have to declare the fact it has a faulty fan..

3. Portz

Portz Active Member

GPU:
    2X GTX 275
    Thanks for the reply. Those were my thoughts initially. I just hate to have to give up the card for 2 weeks till I get a replacement. I doubt I'll ever sell the card though. I've had about 4 or 5 different cards and have never sold any of them.