Dang that Valve & HL2....

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Courtesy Flush, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Courtesy Flush

Courtesy Flush Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 660GT OC
    I've been struggling for weeks to get my new HL2 game to play. I prefer to play offline, but anything would be good at this point. I've registered, have a username and password,.....I DO NOT have that one box checked that keeps you from being able to play offline, but yet I keep getting messages of all types.... " Game not set to play offline", or "Steam unable to process account"....
    I'm ready to pull out my hair. lf anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. I've tried re-installing.....maybe there is a site I can go to to get help with this. All I know is I'm dying to play the game, and I don't know what's going wrong here.
    Please help me, and I will definitely give you a courtesy flush!!

2. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    Well if anyone else has Ideas go ahead.

Im stuck with the same problem.

3. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
    Did you wait for it to update to 100%?

Right click on the steam taskbar icon and hit monitor.

If games are not downloading go to
    play games
    right click hl2
    properties
    It should say : amount acquired 100%
    If it doesnt hit ALWAYS KEEP THIS GAME UP TO DATE if you didnt already, then wait till it his 100%

4. Courtesy Flush

Courtesy Flush Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 660GT OC
    When I get to the spot where the game should begin playing, I get all these advertisememnts for buying different versions of the game.....what's up with that? I just waannna play the dam thing!

5. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    Get it all set up for online play and leave it like that for a bit (play HL2, CS Source, restart your computer, all while staying online). This should give HL2 a chance to get completely updated. After you have done all of this, then try setting it to offline mode, see how that works.

And, HL2 and Steam are really meant to be constantly connected to the internet. If at all possible, you would be best to connect even if it's only for the times you play.

6. sh33p

sh33p Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D x800pro | 474/491
    Have you perhaps input your cd-key from your HL2 case into the Steam system yet?

The only reason I could think that you can't play it yet is simply because it's installed but the cd-key hasn't been inputted for your account.

7. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    Can you play at all, or only online, because sometimes what I have to do is connect to the internet, start Steam, then disconnect the internet. Even if the game is only at 98% I can still play offline as long as Steam is in online mode. What a pain in the arse, huh?

Personally, I think Steam is a great way to keep games up to date and play online, but it has never worked right and I always have a new problem to deal with. Thank god I have other games to play.

8. Courtesy Flush

Courtesy Flush Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 660GT OC
    Thanks guys....appreciate the input. I'll see if any of it works. Thanks for your time....! ;)

9. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    How are you trying to play offline? I know the best way is just to disable your connection, or unplug the line from your comp. That works all the time for me at least. If that doesn't work then you have a computer that Steam just doesn't like. Not too much you can do about it, unless you feel like a complete reinstallation of the OS. That's not worth it in my opinion.

10. Dojomann

Dojomann Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275 896MB
    i still say steam is an atrocity as far as games go. an auto updater tool would've done just fine.