XFX 6600GT 128mb AGP Temperature Sensor

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Strykerr, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Strykerr

Strykerr Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 1070
    Hello, its been a month now since ive received my 6600gt from newegg.com, and when i started to look into OCing ( i heared it is sweet when OC'ed ) i have no temperature monitor on my nvidiatab. I've tried numerous amount of drivers, official, and modified. Somebody said this in my other thread regarding drivers.

- most 6600GTs by default dont have the temp sensor enabled in their bios. In order to enable it you have to modify the card bios and flash your card with it. -

Is this true? and if so, how can i go and flash my card with it.

[img=http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/9870/nothere7fp.th.jpg]

2. drwngflies

drwngflies Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2005
  3. Strykerr

Strykerr Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 1070
    Maybe a little instruction? this is talking about a FX, and im not resulting to flashing, i just want to know why my card, doesnt come with a temp sensor, when standard 6600gts come with them

4. MidouBan

MidouBan Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB

5. Strykerr

Strykerr Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 1070
    is this safe midouban? i dont know if i want to fry a card doing this

6. MidouBan

MidouBan Member

GPU:
    I wouldn't worry it sounds worse than it really is. I was also skeptical about it at first, but once I did it I found it to be no big deal. If you follow the instructions step by step you should have no problems.

7. Strykerr

Strykerr Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 1070
    is it possible to fry the card? yes right?

8. MidouBan

MidouBan Member

GPU:
    It is possible only if something goes wrong while flashing the card, for example if the power goes out. Just as I said before its not that big of a deal, just be sure to follow the instructions.

9. binaryStar

binaryStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC 1450/7800
    I had to do this to my card. I followed the instructions on the nvidia page (second link given), and its rather quite easy. Don't worry about ruining your card, just make sure you follow the directions. Took me 10 minutes.

10. Strykerr

Strykerr Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 1070
    Ok well, it says to extract nvFlash512.zip directly to drive A, and when i reboot my computer, it says. Please remove device or other media. how do i come around this?

11. MidouBan

MidouBan Member

GPU:
    You have to format the disk first. In My computer right click the floppy drive, select format. Then chose to make it a system disk and format. Once that is done go ahead and extract nvflash to the floppy. Also make sure you set the floppy drive as the primary boot device in your computer's bios.

12. Strykerr

Strykerr Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 1070
    Success!!! :), my vga temp is 63C, is that too hot? my computer has been on since 12pm GMT-5, and playing games maybe 3-4hours total ( note: on and off )

13. binaryStar

binaryStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC 1450/7800
    That's about what my PNY 6600GT idled at before I got my Zalman. Is that at stock speeds? If so, I'd say that is a tad high. But as long as your games run well, with no artifacts, and it's not going over like 85 at load, thats ok.

I'd invest in a Zalman VF700-Cu though, brought my temps down 10+ degrees. They're only $30 or so at NewEgg.

14. Strykerr

Strykerr Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 1070
    No it wasnt stock speed, forgot to upgrade my profile. Rivatuner was pretty annoying, couldnt get it an even 5mhz steady, lol. but i get 63idle, stock cooling at 550/1101

EDIT" Going back down, gettin artifacts

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  15. MidouBan

MidouBan Member

GPU:
    See, I told you it wasn't that hard and your temps are about right. I also have a PNY and it ran at the same temps. I remounted the heatsink with some AS5 and installed a fan card under it and now it idles at 58, but doesnt go past 77 on full load. I looking into getting a Logisys Vga cooler. It is just as good as the Zalman, the ramsinks will go on with no problems unlike the Zalman and it is $10 less.

16. Strykerr

Strykerr Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 1070
    Hey Midouban, what creates artifacts, memoryspeed or corespeed

17. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    starnge .. my one had a temp. sensor and it was enabled ...

18. MidouBan

MidouBan Member

GPU:
    It could be either one or both. When you are overclocking try increasing by 5 Mhz and then testing. Test the corespeed and memory speed seperately, that way you can find out at what point you get artifacts with each one. For example the fastest I can push my memory is 1120 without getting artifacts while my corespeed can go up to 575 without artifacts. Another thing is that some games are more sensitive to overclocking and will show artifacts while others won't. Also it may be that your card is getting to hot which will cause artifacts, that was happening to me too until I got some extra cooling for my card.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  19. Strykerr

Strykerr Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 1070
    Yeah, i only get artifacts in the middle of battle of proxycon, and trollslair, thats all. other games are fine

20. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    i had the same problem, flashed my card and now i can see the temp :D