Poll: Shut Off Computer At Night?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by -ToasT-, Aug 3, 2005.

?

Do you shut off your computer at night?

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    39.7%
  1. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    Do you shut off your computer at night (well, when you are done for the night)?

Is it good or bad to do such a thing?

2. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    Nope. Mine is on 24X7 unless i am going out of house and not downloading anything.
    The only time i reboot is when i update drivers or for benchmarking.
    By the way PC is meant to be 24x7 device.

3. mine is on 24x7 as well. almost always downloading something and even when i'm not it's nice to have the pc always at the ready.

4. refuze

refuze Member Guru

GPU:
    Rosewill 6600GT AGP
    I only keep it on at night if I'm downloading something, otherwise I shut it down to save some electricity.

5. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    It depends. If I'm at school, I usually leave it running 24/7 in the dorms becuase I'm not the one paying for electricity. At home, though, I shut it off on occasion. I like to leave it on to DL large files overnight or to have it on when I get up in the morning. Plus, the blue LED from the fan controller and front-side fan work good as a night-light :)

6. patpaa

patpaa Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9600XT 128MB
    I shut mine off, but it should be better for the harddrive to leave it on (less reading and writing to disc), right? But on the other hand, leaving it on means that fans are spinning all the time, which should shorten their life.

Ahh..., who cares about money anyway...?

7. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    i shut mine off whenever im not using it for more then half an hour or it isnt DLing something, so i get about 4-8 hours a day of uptime, but then again, my current boot time is only a few minutes at most, its a cleasn install so its still pretty fast, so i dont mind rebooting, besides, my machine is right beside my bed, so even with the fans running in quiet mode i couldnt sleep

my dads machine is 24X7 however, his old win98 machine is so poluted it takes 15 minutes to boot, and then another 10 to get it in working order by shutting down all weird processes, so he just bypasses that and leaves it on all day and night

8. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I turn my computer off at night and when I go out. Leaving computers on 24/7 is a waste of electricity.

9. RSX

RSX Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6970
    mines off at night first it saves couple buck on my electricity bill and its lesser bright and noisy, and lastly I dont want my computer get all dusty when the need isnt even there

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I turn mine off when im not using it and i never leave it on over night.

11. David16k

David16k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7600GT XXX 256MB VIVO
    I turn my computer off at night, because if I don't I'll get my ass kicked by my parents.

I don't have to worry about electricty costs, because I have a 150 Watt PSU.

12. Ish

Ish Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    the only time any thing electrical is on is if i need it. so my computer is usually off.. why waste electricty? and because of the power shortage in califronia i got used to being more efficent.

13. Scief

Scief Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 6800GT @Ultra
    I turn it always off when I don't need it, unlesss I'm going to use it after 30 minutes. I've had it on over the night few times, but not this year.

14. chukb

chukb Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 Ultra 256 OC agp
    only on when downloading stuff.. i dont understand how you guys can go without shutting down your pc.. i do it after every game i play and before every game i play.. need fresh ram and i dont trust those free ram programs.. /shrug

15. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    My case fans are way to noisy... i actually tested the loudness with a program on my phone and it said that 20cm from my case it was about 60dB's!

So i'm planning to get a cheap small Fan Controller and reduce the voltage flow, which inturn will reduce the RPM of the fans... and hopefully i can sleep with my pc on! :)

16. Diamond15

Diamond15 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 1900XT 512mb
    There are no reasons to let it on all night. It only uses electricity for nothing. And i don't download that much because in belgium we have a 10gb/month limit if we go over the 10 gb we get smallband till the month is over. Smallband is like worse then 56k but you can buy gb i thought 10gb extra is the max. This is a crap rule imo.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  17. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600LE @ 430/490
    U don't have any power faliure ?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Mumbai is improving then ....... at least from Kolkata :D :D
    Ehh ....... I would also like to run it 24 x 7 but we have too many power faliures here !! :( :( :(

So I turn it off at night ........ just in case they have a faliure, and my UPS doesn't provide the needed backup !!

18. reflex

reflex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 725/1800/2000
    same, but i only turn off my computer if im going on vacation, if im leaving the house for a day trip then i leave it on and download something ;)

19. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I turn off mine, as its a power hungry beast and by doing so it keeps my electricity cost down, and keeps each months bill about the same.

20. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    My dad's old computer (800MHz PIII) was on for three years without ever being shut off.

One day, the PSU died :p