Some advice - what would you choose?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by knivestv, Aug 1, 2005.

1. knivestv

knivestv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    Hi everyone.

I have a decision to make, and I can't make my mind up about it. Problem is the deadline is looming so I gotta hurry up a bit. Here's the problem.

I'm going to University in september. I already have accommodation sorted, and it's about 30 seconds walk away from the Uni campus. Sweet right?

But, I also applied for a job at the Uni as a non-teaching tutor, and just had an offer for the job. It means I would be at accommodation which is about 20 minutes walk away instead.

The student hall I already have lined up consists of 10 study bedrooms and a living area/kitchen per section. I would in effect be living with 9 other people in a "flat" so to speak. The study rooms are small with the bed taking up much of the space, and the living area is tiny too. It's not en-suite so there is one bathroom to share with the other 9 people.

It is very modern though and right around the corner from the campus. For this reason it's the most popular accommodation for students at this University and I was lucky to get a place there.

If I take the job, my rent would be halved (as payment for the work), there are only 6 rooms and a living area per "flat" and the rooms are much larger as there are 4 less study rooms for the same number of cubic feet space per flat. So much extra room in fact that they are all en-suite study rooms and the living area is huge, with satellite TV installed as well. Sounds nice right? Problem is it's quite a walk back and forth every day, not to mention that the job requires me to be on duty for any problems at the hall, as a non teaching tutor a minimum of one in every six days, including weekends.

Has anyone here done this work before? Is it worth me taking it for the extra luxuries they are offering if I take the job, and the extra walking I have to do every day?

I'm really not sure. I had my mind set on taking the closer hall, but now I wonder if I should take the more roomy luxurious hall, in exchange for work and walking.

Tell me what you would do if it was you! Even if you don't know what the job is like, do tell me what you would choose.

Thanks all.

knivestv

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
  2. Jason_25

Jason_25 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6600 GT OC/17" HP CRT
    You should take the job and get a bike/skateboard or something.

3. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    lol! thats a awesome idea :p or a motorcycle ;)

4. knivestv

knivestv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    True, a bike would sort the time problem a little bit. Still gotta go through rain though with my laptop and folders etc. though on crap weather days. Probably lots of them coming up as winter will be approaching by then.

Plus I have no idea what sort of workload the extra duties will mean. They are being very guarded about how much extra work on top of my studies I will have to do. Until I had the interview, I thought there would be nothing to it based on the literature that came with the original interview offer. Now, I wonder if it will get in the way of my studies. They did let it slip that being on duty was a 24 hour thing each time, where any and all problems at the hall would have to be dealt with by me so presumably they get problems reported day and night. Should I be concerned? There are 600 students in this hall, so 600 potential chances of a problem I suppose each time I am on.

Anyone who knows, do tell! I can't get a straight answer from the accommodation office.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005

5. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Take the job. The walk will do you good. I like half an hour away from my university, if I drive fast. I usually take the bus as parking is so much. So it's a 20min drive to the bus depot and another 40min on the bus.

Just scotchguard your backpack or wrap your computer in a plastic bag. An umbrella helps too. Is there no bus available? I remember waiting for the bus in -20c temperatures. That's the kind of weather that makes your nose litterally freeze shut. :p

6. knivestv

knivestv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    I remember what -20 feels like. I used to live in Toronto. Good to hear that nothing has changed!

Does your car still disappear in the snow drifts? We lost ours every year because the snow plough piled it up at the side of the roads, then new snow would make it vanish completely.

I actually miss that. In the UK it's just cold and wet all the time. Quite miserable, whereas snow is actually lots of fun.

And you're right, the walk will do me good. I sit around far too much. :) There is a bus which I worked out will cost me approx. 20 quid a week for the number of lessons I have on my timetable. That's half of the rent saving spent on travelling if I used it every day.

The question is, will the extra work (the job) be worth the 20 quid that I have left over every week? That's if I used the bus every single time...

Ahh, decisions. I prefer one choice with something like this. Take it or leave it. Makes it easy then. I only like choices with regards to personal belongings.

7. Motorcycles are my thing, since i own a kawazaki.

without much thought, i'd take the JOB.

8. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    Take the job and definatly get a bicycle for the warmer months. When the colder months arrive figure out how to use the public transpo.

9. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    IMO, taking the job would be great, but you need to be sure that you will have enough time to study so that it won't backfire at you. Also, that rain problem is easily solved with a waterproof bag.

10. Take the job , Take the job ,Take the job ,Take the job ,Take the job ,Take the job. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2005

11. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'd take the job. I personally couldn't stand living in such a cramped place with other people, on/close to campus or not. That and 20 minutes walking isn't anything at all. At the very least it would keep you in shape.

12. knivestv

knivestv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    Looks like the job wins it then.

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it. :)

knivestv

13. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    don't walk... walking is bad. What happens when its freezing cold or pissing down rain?!?!?!

Can you drive?

14. knivestv

knivestv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    Yeah I can drive. Parking is impossible and more expensive than the amount I would save by taking the job.

I agree about the rain though. It does bother me, being as I currently drive everywhere I need to go.

That will end real soon when I start Uni.

15. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    I rode a moped for 4 years in college (Honda Aero 50). It was a lot farther away then 20min walk too. Through all kinds of weather - I just had raingear and never had an issue.

The cost savings over driving and even public transportation was staggering. It costs $40 a semester for covered, patrolled parting vs $125 a month for car parking. Gas was almost non-existant. I think I spent $3 a week on gas. A one-month bus pass was like $35. Insurance was under $100 a year.

I put over 15k miles on it, and the motor siezed 4months before graduation =(.

Mabye get one of those electric scooters to ride?

16. Faiakes

Faiakes Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD 4870
    Take the job just so you don't have to live with another 9(!) people. Have you lived with so many people before? It is madness. I highly suggest against it.

Which Uni? Can't you opt for private accomodation if you take the job? That would MUCH better. If you can live with another 2-3 people that would be ideal.

20 pounds a week? That can't be right! Have you looked into weekly or monthly savers? And I'm sure there should be term student saver which will make your travel expenses cheap. The bike sounds like an excellent idea for the good days.

17. cepher2101

cepher2101 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7900gs KO
    JOB...you really must know how poor ppl can get in college............anyhow...20 minutes in the morning isnt TOO bad...plus, its good for your health to get off you lazy ass and exercise...us americans really need to learn that

18. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    I'm gonna point out, when you ahve that 8AM class, you'll love being 30sec away rather than 20min.
    Also matters is where. In Minnesota in Feburary, you couldn't pay me to walk outside for 20min.
    Also, if you're on campus at one and not on the other: fat uni pipe (heh -- University of Kent-Goldsmiths, 3 MB in a few seconds, that was sick).
    Oh and if a job refuses to tell you want you're doing, run far far away. There are plenty of other jobs for college atht will tell you what you really are doing. Also note that i find that working really makes studies more of a pain. I now do high paying jobs in the summer rather than work part-time during the school year. i still ahve beer money and less pressure. Bottom line: if you don't need to work, don;t.
    Just raed your post: RA in a dorm for 20GBp is beyond not work it. Basiaclly you will spend your staturday night breaking up parties and being hated by your fellow students.
    Where you going anyhow?

19. Brettbeck

Brettbeck Maha Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek PX7800GTX
    Get a magic carpet:p

20. knivestv

knivestv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    I'm going to Manchester Metropolitan in the UK.

I'm actually doing freelance work now for 40 quid an hour where I live, but I won't have enough to last all year from it. Have to do something really, but I'm not keen on getting a job somewhere in Manchester while doing studies. Virtually all the other students will be looking to do that sort of thing I suppose.

Also since I will be an international student, I might get a grant to pay the accommodation, at least I hope so anyway, so the saving will give me income from the grant cheque.

I dunno really. Every time I think I have made my mind up a new day starts and I'm not sure again.

There are plenty of companies looking for Dell engineers, and since I'm DCSE certified I could go looking around to do part time work for lots more cash, but trouble is they all want me to do more than just one day a week.

That's the headache of being a student I guess. Need cash to live, need time to do studies. Hard to do both at the same time.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005