sad day for people with pirated windows

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Deleted member 81659, Jul 27, 2005.

1. now when you try to go to windows updates you have to install windows genuine which is going to scan your system to check wether you got a valid winxp.

from what i read it seems if you turn on automatic updates your still going to get the critical updates but only those.

2. funny thing is i have two legit copies but they were both sp1. i downloaded a winxp sp2 version because i was having trouble installing sp2 and heard it's better to install winxp with sp2 already installed anyway.

tho it doesn't bug me as much as i don't update much anyway. i'm a set it and forget it guy. after sp2, dx9, and wmp10 all major updates are done for winxp. only updates there will be now are going to be meant for newer hardware such as wgf which i think there will be a winxp release for but that's meant more for the next gen cards. one thing that worries me is i hope when .net 2.0 is released that not many apps make use of it otherwise i'm screwed... already got .net 1.1 installed tho.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2005
  3. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    You think its unfair that they aren't helping people with a pirated version of windows???, seems totaly fair to me.

4. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

i think its unfair they charge through the roof for a peice of software

meh,.. give em time,.. they'll even hack the genuine id

5. hehe, there are already ways to get behind this. use autopatcher. http://www.autopatcher.com/ and here are the list of patches: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=274763

also, there's apparently a workaround by fiddling with addons in IE go to tools > addons. i don't know what to do next but if your determined some fiddling will do. i heard it's easy. i think you can find more info on this at neowin

6. Hiro1000

Hiro1000 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    I think its fair, considering what we do with this piece of software. Its the base of everything, i thinks ints unfaire to pay for a 500 dollar graphics card thats only going to be in service for one year.

I also think the price of Photoshop is outragious. 1000€ for Photoshop. Horrible.

I paid 120 bucks for XP, and I am damn happy about it...... It is also nice to have someone in the family who works for the European Division of Microsoft ;P

7. Roccer

Roccer Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    you think the price for photoshop is unfair? my friend you dont know unfair until you have to purchase any/all of the following... Win2003 server enterprise edition (+ however many client licenses you need to access the server), AutoCAD, or Mechanical desktop.

8. Halo 273

Halo 273 Master Guru

GPU:
    POV Geforce 7800 GT
    hmm i dont know even though im using a legit copy of xp at the min i still think the prices are a bit ridiculous for software like this, i mean photoshop is a good example cuz i have to use photoshop and im not paying that kinda money to use it so im using a copy.

But then again i can understand why they are doing this cuz the company loses alot of money from pirated stuff cuz ppl can either download it or buy it for a very low price.

The same problems with the music industries they lose alot of money from pirating.

i think Microsoft and other companies should probably think about the genral pricing of some of the software they sell.

9. Halo 273

Halo 273 Master Guru

GPU:
    POV Geforce 7800 GT
    in some situations with software, prices are so high that u can build or buy full computer units or other various hardware and to me that ridiculous

10. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090

You know you can just make a slipstream copy of winXP from your original legit copy to include SP2 in the install. No need to download a dodgy copy for that. Google for a slipstream guide, there are a few about on the net.

11. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

i remember when xp was released you could build a basic unit with the price

12. yea, i've heard of those. i remember trying to use one and for one reason or another giving up.

13. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    The thing is if, let's say 50% of the Windows copies installed are legit and you are denying updates to the other 50%, they will still get viruses and stuff. And they will still spread spam, launch DDoSs and whatever causing trouble for the users of legit copies. So you are hurting both categories by doing so, instead of lowering prices and allow man more to buy the damn OS.

Edit: I'm writing from Linux, in case anyone is wondering.

14. BaDmOfO

BaDmOfO Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 liquid
    I have a legit copy around here somewhere, although it is the home edition, I have money for xp, but I really don't want to be bothered with the reactivation crap everytime I format, and or change hardware. That's my only reason for running a cracked copy, it's a pain in the a$$ to reactivate everytime I want a new vid card, or cpu, or what have you. I remember changing out a vid card, before I knew too much about it, and then having to call a # and freaking wait on hold forever, then give her my activation #, go through a long questionaire, then finally receiving my code to turn it back on...

Is there anyway I could use a legit key with a cracked copy..as is now, I just skip the whole activation process. I've always been able to get updates due to my corp key gen..

15. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    @Gram_vaz, well I used nLite to make my slipstream copy. It was my first try at doing anythign of the sort, but here I am after making the CD to reinstall XP. It's very easy to use with a lot more options for customizing XP like turning off components, services, and a few other programs.

BTW, I thought we weren't allowed to talk about pirated stuff in here and I know we aren't allowed to post links to cracks and such, even if it does require a bit of ingenuity.

@BaDmOfO, when you call the number you are supposed to be able to let the machine try it first and if that doesn't work you get transferred to a real person. Even if the machine doesn't work you should only be on hold for like 10 sec, it's not even that long when I have to reactivate.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005

16. Hiro1000

Hiro1000 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    If anyone calculated how much more richer Microsoft would have been, if every single copy of Windows was legit. They would be 3 times richer.

The reason why The American Government sued them; is because Bill was getting to the point in which, he would be richer then the American government withing a 30 year period.

The Europeans did the same thing, with the Windows Media Player. We saw how much the new Os lite sold. Like SH!T

Most people love Window Media Player. I love it.

When Bill first released 95, he spread it by piracy, so it would get so popular, that people would buy 98. That is how he got super rich. Everyone was used to an Os, and wanted better.

Today we have piracy at an all time high. I think photoshop is the most pirated program, next to Windows.

I first had Windows XP pirated, then I bought it.

I own all the Windows versions, from Dos 1.0 to WIndow XP, then only series I do not own are the Server Editions. I did see the price of the Server Edition. Its ridiculus. Thats why i recommend Linux for servers.

As said earlier, Bill is so successful, is because everyone does not support change, espcially the non geek part of the population, Imagine, someone who has used Windows for 10 years, and you force him to change to OSX. Its bloody crazy.

Imagine this guy, created an Empire, and he only had a High School Degree. So what, if the OS is not perfect. Mac is not perfect, neither is Linux. Linux is far from perfect, (i know I am going to get like 1000 emails from linix fan boys). What i see bill gates do, He donates heaps of money to help fight cancer, poverty, diseases, ect. He is the man who has donated the most money in the world. Not even then AMerican Government can donated as much money as he does.

SO saying that 130+- bucks is too expensive is ludicracy. Its true that Windows Server Edition is extremely expensive, so is CAD.

Window permits people to do lots of things. Where as CAD and Photoshop permits you to do one specific thing.

I think it is not hard to fork out 130$, when someone can fork out 500$ for a graphics card.

phew....

17. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    There is a way around this, you save the files the activation code is in, then drop them back in windows post format, this works as long as no hardware changes have taken place, for the life of me I can't remember the location of the folder. I will see if I can find the article, will post back if I do, otherwise I suggest a google search.

Edit: found it, second in the list of google results.

XP format without reactivation article link

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  18. kurgen11

kurgen11 Member

Heh, i'm rather pleased with MS right now.Not only did they send me a full version of WinXP Pro 64 bit, but they never charged the s&h they said they were going to.

Note to anyone that bought a system with a 64 bit processor and Win XP/XP Pro 32 bit and/or a copy of Win XP pro 32 w/64 bit processor, they are offering free upgrades to full copies of Win XP pro 64 bit.They were initially asking for a nominal shipping charge but ended up not even asking for that.

I'm going to wait to install mine until i get my new raid array going in a month or so. Thankfully everything in my system has 64 bit drivers available for the new os.Anyone else planning on doing the same might want to take the time to verify the same for their hardware before putting in your order for the new os because your going to need them.

19. Fulgore04

Fulgore04 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce 980 Strix
    Rather simple solution people... After installing the microsoft genuine advantage active x.

Open Internet Explorer goto Tools > Manage Add-ons > Show addons that have been used by internet explorer. Then look for Windows Genuine Advantage and click the disable button, then when you goto get updates it will show a little icon down in the bottom bar of the browsor letting you know that the WGA module is disabled but you will be able to get updates again now...

20. Sylver123

Sylver123 Member

GPU:
    XFX GEFORCE 6800 Ultra 256MB DDR3 DUAL DVI & TV
    I have tested the solution posted by "Fulgore04" and it works for now.