Alternative cooling methods?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by nasapion, Jul 18, 2005.

1. nasapion

nasapion Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 128MB
    Hey there,
    I was wondering if anyone knew anyway I could cool off my FX5200 Ultra with any items I could find in the house. I cant buy anything because of my parents, so dont ask me to buy a new card or stuff like a fan or thermal tape. (P.S. The reason why I cant but isnt because of cost) Oh yah, I cant put a house fan on it or my parents would think im crazy.

2. Blackwing

Blackwing Master Guru

GPU:
    Visnotek 4870 512 stock
    did you try blowing it ? the cheapest most economical way of keeping it cool.

although if ya fokes saw that they might ? your sanity even more

3. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    Another Victim of PC shops Bunging Out of date Graphics cards with good CPU's?

You can try the "Hairdryer Mod" that someones posted in the Die hard overclocking section and adapt it for your 5200 , though its not really practical.

The only thing i can suggest is moving your PC to a well ventalated area and taking apart any old pc's and search for parts to canibalise.

4. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    Uhhh... no. Well, I suppose if you had an old CPU heatsink lieing around you might be able to afix that, but even then you'll probably need to buy some thermal epoxy or something.

5. flexmaster

flexmaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire X1800XT 512mb/ 6800 GO
    Or you could install your computer in the fridge, lol.

6. nasapion

nasapion Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 128MB
    No offense, but what would my mom think if I wanted to attach a blowdryer to my Comp? LOL Flex

7. krisha

krisha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTS250 512 mb
    lame thread

8. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    Well , you said you wanted to use household items? i said it wasnt practical what else? Overclocking that 5200 won't do anything for you...ever.

9. flexmaster

flexmaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire X1800XT 512mb/ 6800 GO
    yeah it could get him to 2 or 3 frames he needs.;)

10. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    I dont know maybee its just running warm uder passive cooling he didnt say he was overclocking so i may just be jumping to conclusions again :p

11. Blackwing

Blackwing Master Guru

GPU:
    Visnotek 4870 512 stock
    or check for old pc fans on the road get some dry ice cubes form you fridge with a container to drain the water and palc ethe ice cubes next to the fan (s) should work only thing is the melting ice and all the water but if you make a drainage system and all it can work good me thinks

12. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    So every 5 mins the ice cube's would have to be replaced , the water drainage system emptied. Thats no account for the fact he would have to slow the air down as it goes over the ICE so it would actually get cooler.And water + electronics mixing in a dodgey homemade cooling solution for a 5200 dosnt really sound like the best way to ruin a PC.

Im struck down for ideas of cooling using a homemade device designed for cooling a 5200. Other than moving your pc so that the intake fans pick up cool air from a draft or something. And even that would probably only make a negliagble difference.

I think going to http://xtremesystems.org/ and asking in thier forums might find you some better answers as the guys there are deeply into thier overclocking and alot of them are top notch in finding quirks to use for cooling.

13. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

I once put a Tower fan in the side panel of the PC and let the case opened.
    It downloaded 13ÂșC.
    But im simply not confortable having my PC opened. So, i returned it back, it was a mess because i had to order all the wires again.

14. PCBliss

PCBliss Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x eVGA 7800GT SLI
    give up computers

15. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    canabalize an old pc for a fan, doesnt matter what type, for all i care just rip the fan out of the psu, then fix that into your machine, directed at the passive sink of the vga card