Fastest CPU P4P800 Deluxe ??

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by hansje, Jul 13, 2005.

1. hansje

hansje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 980GTX OC
    Hi Guys, I own a Northwood 3.2C....its not a very good overclocker I think.
    Whats the best chip-buy for me and my P4P800 deluxe.

When you have a bad overclocking, is it always your CPU...how important is my Motherboard...is it already old :D

hansje ;)

2. stalkersoftware

stalkersoftware Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 OC @ 380/800
    You have a 3.2G chip! Intel stopped production of the socket 478. I dont think you will find anything better than this. You might get 3.2E Prescott cores (which dont overclock that well).

3. hansje

hansje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 980GTX OC
    With other words...this is the limit for me :)

I was wondering what is the fastest Pentium system at the moment ??

Thanks for your reply !!!!

hansje ;)

4. reflex

reflex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 725/1800/2000
    the fastest has the be the p4 extreme edition 3.8. which gets pwned by a 600$ cheaper amd 4000+ in games

5. scarface1983

scarface1983 Guest

haha, Intel has fallen off the map.......AMD owns intel's life :]

6. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    True.. but I wanna see the desktop dothans and... AMD be prepared to start the CWI: CPU War I!

Really! By that time AMD will have something real to fight against.

7. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    You needed to update your benchmarks or either your My PC Specs is wishful thinking ... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  8. stalkersoftware

stalkersoftware Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 OC @ 380/800
    Intels fastest chip is clocked at 3.8ghz. But it wont be fit on your board :(

I think you should stick with what you have and maybe upgrade the whole system in 6-12months ;)

9. V6 Knight

V6 Knight Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire ATi X1950XT 256 PCiE
    i have the 3.4 northwood oc'd to 3.71

10. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Master Guru

GPU:
    chaintech 6600gt @ 610core/1240mem
    3.4ghz is the fastest stock chip for 478. Now if you have a good psu and cool your mofsets with heatsinks and have a fairly decent water cooling setup you can get a presscott and oc it to 4ghz+.

Also amd has nothing on the dothan core. clock per clock the dothan is faster than any of the fx series. Check extreme systems and if your argument is temperature check the fact that the dothan puts out less than 30W of heat. Dont be fanboys guys, no matter the taste both companies have stinker chips and good chips. also a 1.6ghz dothan cost less than 200 bux and most oc to 2.4-2.6ghz with air and spank fx55's.

11. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    It would be suprising for a 3.2c not to do at least 3.6 GHz... they did that reliably even when they first came out. You've raised the vcore, dropped the ram speed I assume?

Socket 478 is definately not the right place to be with an upgrade. All the new stuff is socket 775. If you really want a new CPU, I'd suggest getting a S775 board with AGP (a few odd 865/875 models were put on the market), then maybe a 6xx or one of the 5x1 chips when they come out, then at least you'd get 64-bit too.... well, assuming they're supported.

Here's one of them:

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pr....jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3245&CATEGORY_TYPE=MB&SITE=NA

This one isn't too cheap, but looks like plenty of decent 865 S775 boards for around $100. According to the BIOS revision this one supports 64-bit, so that presumbably means 6xx and 5x1 would be okay. Prescotts tend to overclock to 4.0+ GHz with relative ease, so that's promising.

12. jAMMER

jAMMER Guest

I haven't had any problems with my mobo or processor. DFI mobo's are excellent overclockers. I've seen where a guy OC'd his 3.4 to 5.2Ghz with the help of a Zalman. My benchmarks scores were achieved with only my video card being OC'd. I would OC my cpu but it gets a little warm, I will wait for liquid cooling. Look at 'reflex' rig which is supposed to be 600mhz faster than my Intel(rated by AMD) and you can see that my benchies in '05 are beating his by over 350 points, not that benchmarks are everything mind you....and that's without overclocking my cpu:)
    Once again, I have nothing against AMD, don't get me wrong, but Intel isn't as bad as some of these guys may want you to believe.IMO

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2005
  13. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Master Guru

GPU:
    points at spec sheet on his post. Yes you can get an lga mobo relatively cheep if you get one with the older chipsets.

As far as i can tell the best overclockers are made from dfi. The 865pe-tag is a very good overclocker and so is the 875t-p . these mobos overclock well. Now the asus mobo is a good mobo overclocker as well as being the cheepest. (46bux at newegg refurbed) and if your familar with soldering it can become a beast if you droop mod it.

14. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    I've had my chip up to 3.84 stable stock cooling

same chip I believe

edit: I presume you have flashed the bios to larger cpu support version ? 1018 I think it is, I can not go over 4 gig with my chip, what are your overclocking goals ? 4 gig + ?

my oc

[​IMG]

oc temps

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  15. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Master Guru

GPU:
    Actualy we are wrong. the fastest chip you can get for the p4p800 is the dothan cpu. All you need is the ct479 converter and it will be the fastest thing for gaming around. Providing you get a good dothan core pentium M.

16. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
  17. Xaser04

Xaser04 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE UV
    Damn right it does. But then then the intel ownz the amd chip in other applications. (youll never get the fastest processor which does everything)

Also the prescott is a very good overclocker as long as you have decent cooling.

Your northwood should it 3.8 no trouble on air and higher on water cooling or phase change cooling.

18. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    exactly an oced P-M (533mhz fsb) can get to 2.8 ghz, maybe higher and simply rocks
    Expensive though.

19. reflex

reflex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 725/1800/2000
    it only gets pwned in things like movie encoding and stuff like that by 5~10 seconds, you'd have to be totally anal to care about that little of a diffrence

20. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Master Guru

GPU:
    5-10 seconds adds up when its 5-10seconds slower every minute of work done. So at the end of a work day it can add up to hours. If you encode stuff thats long and large the intel will spank the amd by as mutch as 30-50%.

Intel is very good at what it does and gears their chips towards profesionals

Amd is very good at what it does and gears its chips towards gamers and hobbyists.

Its a matter of taste, and type of work.

Work load balancing and multitasking is where intel shines and amd shines in burst speed executions. Clock rate versus efficiency it seems. Same as the dothan cored pentium M not being able to keep up with a p4.

I myself like to encode and reincode my own movies and my rig does it very quick. IF I were a gamer primarily I would have gone a64 or dothan.