Display Driver NOT in Add/Remove Programmes ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by mickd, Jul 18, 2005.

1. mickd

mickd Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800 GTS 512
    I read with interest that when updating Det drivers we should first remove the old ones using Add/Remove Programmes...., BUT the only thing mentioned in this box for me is 'Nvidia Drivers' (which I take to be chipset drivers) there is nothing that says 'Nvidia display drivers'..do I have a problem here ?

2. mickd

mickd Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800 GTS 512
    just solved my own problem.....used to ATI drivers being highly visible !

3. rhohan

rhohan Member

GPU:
    x800 Pro vivo > x800 XT PE vm@ 560/560 24/7
    yea that one got me as well. in fact when i got my x800pro that i had for a bit, i uninstalled the nvidia drivers (my chipset drivers) thinking they were old video drivers :p tired + rhohan + computer === mess.

4. Garak

Garak Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 280 GTX OC
    Yea they did that recently.

But no you should NOT uninstall your old driver before upgrading to a new release. Just run the setup .exe, it will automatically uninstall the old ones and put in the new ones.

Doing it manually is only needed when you got problems.

5. Quad X

Quad X Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
    yea, i think certain video drivers say "nVidia display drivers" and others dont. i've always uninstalled what you're talking of.

oh. well that may be true, but its always a good idea to uninstall the drivers and then follow the instructions for driver cleaner. driver cleaner is good to use after you uninstall the drivers before installing the new drivers. i do it everytime.:)

And by "chipset" drivers, what do you mean? isnt that the same thing as saying the video drivers for your gfx card?