Video Card for an HTPC.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Swatpup, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Swatpup

Swatpup Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X800 XT
    I'm currently in the works of building an HTPC, but I’m getting snagged when it comes to what video card to get. I'm not to concern with performance more than I am finding something with component out. I also don't want to spend too much on it considering the pc is mainly going to be used for playing videos and music. So far the best thing I have found is the XGI Volari V3XT for about $45.

My concern though is that they all seem to state that the componet out is HDTV 480i/480p/1080i/720p. So does this mean it will not work with my YPrPb on my non-HDTV?

Any suggestions on video cards?

2. Jason_25

Jason_25 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6600 GT OC/17" HP CRT
    480i is what a non-hdtv uses.

3. Crystallas

Crystallas Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280
    asus n6200 ...cheap, video out, and very impressive while using passive cooling, and its a shorter card, so you have a few options.

4. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    ive read nice things about the volari, if they stay along for a bit longer i might try out one of their chips in a secondary rig, see if they are worth it

a radeon 9200 would also cost about 50, and do good imho

best card imho would be a 6200, but im not really sure how much those things cost

if you dont mind a little gamble, take the volari, its what i would do personally, read some reviews first though

5. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    Ya get a 6200. If you use the NVDVD decoder in MCE (like $20) there is hardware hdtv decoding done and it looks much better then anything else. (purevideo technology)