Pentium M -OMFG!!!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Gecko2, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Gecko2

Gecko2 Guest

Someone plz explain why my Pentium M 1.8 ghz is out performing my friends 3.4 ghz P4. Both are laptops with just about the same specs. This new processor is incredible, runs all my brand new games on HIGH!! ie- CSS, HL2, Doom3, BF2 demo(medium) while my friends stillllll waiting for his to boot up lol.

Anyone try this processor out yet, its the ****!?!

Im comparing my "Toshiba Qosmio F15"
    to "Friend's Dell XPS GEN 1"

2. Darrin

Darrin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PX7800GTX @ 450/1250
    M must stand for MEGA ;)

3. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    well, basically the pentium M is extremely optimized, faster cache, and overall a very efficient processor.
    They are fitting desktops with it, and they make sweet rigs.

Congrats dude, it's a good machine :)

4. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    The Pentium-M is an enhanced P6 core (aka P-pro, P2, P3) and it does perform (at least in games) as well as you say. There are some areas it is not as fast.

5. -Knight-RefleX*

-Knight-RefleX* Member

GPU:
    Connect 3D Ati Radeon X800XT 256DDR3 VIVO
    glad you like it dude :) my laptop has a Athlon 64 3400+ Mobile, its not too bad either...

6. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    My next rig i'll built this summer will be a 2.0ghz+ Pentium M OCed alot!! whit a 7800 and super DDR

7. AION

AION Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D HD3850 OC
    730, 1.6GHz, multiplier 12x so it makes fine 2.4 with normal ddr400. It outperforms FX-55. It is coming in some weeks. And I will also order 7800GT (not GTX) when it hits the market....

8. temporal

temporal Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4890 1GB
    The only problem with these things (and this is from my own tests), is unlike desktop P4s, they're poor at multitasking, which makes for a unimpressive experience when you're not gaming.

Swapping out the CT479/Pentium-M for Pentium 4 when I have something serious to do is getting tedious.

I’ve heard one of those cheap rubbish companies, ECS maybe, make a motherboard that has a LGA775 socket and a riser, with a 939 socket/core logic. If this board came with a Socket 479 riser instead, and you could switch between processors from the BIOS, that would be great.

9. Xaser04

Xaser04 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE UV
    The p4 m is brilliant I have the dothan 1.6 model in my laptop and it rocks. Although they are completely useless (an I mean useless) at dvd encoding. The lack of raw mhz is the issue here. (mind you I am comparing my laptop to my 3.6 p4 here)

10. targett

targett Master Guru

GPU:
    7800GTX 256mb
    the pentum M is fast for many of the reasons that the A64 is fast, high transistor count, fast caches, short pipes.

but as said, it has similar limitations, poor multitasking and poor encoded, ripping etc (P4 stuff).

targ

11. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    I happen to have a PM Dothan 1.6 Gateway laptop, from work. I haven't done alot with it besides try out GTA:SA which ran pretty well, given it has only an Ati X600 in it. What amazed me the most about it is the fact that it has 2mb L2 cache.

12. dismal

dismal Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT AGP / 81.94
    The P4M is a great chip and it is socket 479 usually used only in laptops. However in the past few years a handful of motherboard makers have created MICRO ATX motherboards to support these P4M's. Three main differences right now between a Desktop Northwood and a P4M, #1 P4M Micro ATX Boards do not support dual channel, #2 P4M does not have HT, and #3, P4M has 1MB of cache not to mention an amazingly fast pipeline. - These chips really blow the P4's and Athlon 64's out of the water in some benchmarks but not all. - Even tho they lack the dual channel ram and HT you would have a serious, fast, tiny foot print, hog in a jar system. Check out the 479 boards at Newegg.

Excuse me if the specs are a little bit out of date, I am comparing a 1.6 P4M to any of the P4 Northwood line. - Now some of the P4M's do have 2MB of cache.

13. AION

AION Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D HD3850 OC
    Ahh.. P4M is only picked P4...

Pentium M (Dothan is that chip you mean)..
    It can be used with any Asus s478 mb, becouse of ct479 adapter...