Crashes With nForce GART Driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by JohnnyKnuckles, Jul 12, 2005.

1. JohnnyKnuckles

JohnnyKnuckles New Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 6800 128MB
    Ok, so I bought Battlefield 2, and after reading everything, its telling me I should be able to run it with all the graphic options turned up. I played the demo, and I had to play with all my options turned to low. So I did a clean system reinstall and this time I installed my nForce drivers (up till now my computer ran fine without them). The game runs beautifully on the highest settings, except now I get "pauses" in gameplay for about 5 seconds, and it happens randomly. Occasionally I would get complete system crashes, sometimes blue screens telling me to check new hardware, and my BIOS. I start to uninstall seperate components from the nForce driver trying to figure out which one. I have almost all of them uninstalled then my computer crashes again, I get frustrated and do ANOTHER reinstall.

After I reinstall my system, I start up the game, unplayable performance on high settings. I notice that I need to install the SM Bus Controllers, so I do that. But wary of installing it all, I check the internet to figure out my problem, finally narrowing it down the GART driver.

So now that I know this, and not installing results in an ugly, unplayable game, and isntalling it results in a beautiful, unplayable game, what should I do to make it a beautiful playable game?

2. blunden

blunden Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 TUF
    You should always install your motherboard drivers. Running without them makes your videocard run in PCI mode instead of AGP 8x wich means severly reduced speed. If you have problem with the driver you should try some other version of it, there are lots of them here on guru3d. You can also try to disable fastwrites in bios. This has fixed some peoples problems.

3. Mr.DJ

Mr.DJ Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    Your graphics card can't run BF2 smoothly with everything on "high" because that would require a 256MB card...

You need to at least put "textures" on medium. AA should be disabled as this featues also consumes graphics memory. Also, the higher resolution you use, the more graphics memory you use...so don't use too high a resolution.

Finally, you should install latest Nforce motherboard drivers(however, I would recommend skipping the included IDE driver, as this driver has a bad history of causing truble with different games, because it's incompatible with diff. copy protections found in games...)

Get latest Nforce driver here: Nvidia

Hope that info helps...let us know!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2005