It's a lie, I tell you... no!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by gunslinger, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Toxic Worrier

Toxic Worrier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275

yeah yeah yeah ! What that guy said.....exactly the way I feal.... It will always boil down to this right here =$$$$$$.
    As long as you got lots of these $$$$$ you can upgrade everytime technology takes a leap forward, but if not....like me, and most of you folks, you'lle wait till the market is ripe for buying...like when Nvidia has more than one 7xxx series card to choose from.. Im waiting till somewhere around the first or second quarter of next year to go PCI-E, and then I'll be able to make a bigger and better leap LoL....There should be a whole lot more to choose from, like a nice 7800Ultra 512mb card with 32 pipes..... At least I hope so. I'm savin up for that major upgrade right now, and I don't care if they release an AGP 7xxx series or not. My old CPU and 6800GT are doing just fine for me..
    For now,,, that is................ :D

2. Tarkan2467

Tarkan2467 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    Exactly, it's virtually impossible to create software of any sort that doesn't have flaws. NVIDIA produces tons of driver sets... if you look in the New downloads section of this site, you'll see several Forceware driver releases and very few (if any?) ATI Catalyst releases.

Right now the only qualifier for an "official" release is for the driver to be posted in the NVIDIA driver download section. Even betas sometimes attain WHQL certification but are never posted on NVIDIA's site. Why, you ask? Because they want to work on them some more. WHQL certification does not guarantee that flaws are not present in the driver. It simply indicates that the driver will work in Windows as it's supposed to. Microsoft doesn't test drivers with every game.

The thing is that if you're buying one of these cards you're going to be using either beta or modified drivers because you bought the card for a reason: performance. You didn't buy it so it would "just work." You bought it for SPEED! Officials always come out at a slower rate than betas, so there's no reason to be stubborn and wait for an official if you can have the fixes and performance increases earlier than what otherwise would have been possible. Sure, if an official comes out on NVIDIA's site I usually download it. But as soon as the next beta is out it gets replaced immediately. Why stick with an older driver just because it's "official"?

As for me, I don't care whether the driver comes off Guru3D's mirrors or off NVIDIA's FTP. If the driver is intended for my card and has improvements, it gets downloaded.

3. DiZzyBonne

DiZzyBonne Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7950 GT 256MB
    As soon as I read it, I started thinking it was just done for better business. PCI-E is the only one that supports SLI, so maybe that's why it was done. Also, isn't PCI-E more expensive? I just did a quick Newegg.com search on 6800 Ultra's, the 256 MB PCI-E are more expensice than the 256 MB AGPs.

4. Tarkan2467

Tarkan2467 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    The 6800 Ultra PCI-E cards are natively AGP, so they need the HSI bridge chip, thus making them more expensive. The 6600GT however is more expensive in AGP form because it's natively a PCI-E card and has to be bridged the other way.

5. reactor88

reactor88 Active Member

GPU:
    2900 Pro 800/900
    i was thinking about upgrading for one last go with agp, to a 7600 or w/e midrange agp comes along. i decided against that and am now going to save up for a completley new system towars the end of 2006 maybe early 2007, depending on when the new amd sockets and ddr2/3 come out..or i might just go for a dual core pentium m. either way i think it would be better to save my money, get another year or even two outta this system and spend 2-3k on a new system when the time comes.

6. knivestv

knivestv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    Very well put. Save, get the best you possibly can, and make it last. Beats the hell out of upgrading to every single new release that comes out.

Lots of tweak value too doing it that way, which is always very satisfying. :) I'm gonna beat this 6800 into the ground then upgrade the lot and skip the 7X00 series altogether. I tend to upgrade the graphics twice if possible (last was a G4 TI4600 on this rig) then blow the whole lot. Maybe a cpu upgrade too along the way if prices drop enough, because I always make sure to buy a board that supports better than what I buy at the time. The system I have now started on a 2200+ and I chucked a 2800+ in for 25 quid when I got the 6800.

It's been great and will be until the end of the year I reckon, so worth the effort.

7. fires

fires Member

GPU:
    2x2 R280 xfire
    How do you know theres not much difference in agp and pci-e?
    Sure you cant tell much difffrence NOW with games that are out NOW but games will be starved of bandwidth in the furture, it only makes sense to upgrade. Not to upgrade to pci-e if you can just doesnt make sense.

8. AnakinSolo2002

AnakinSolo2002 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ENGTX580 DCII
    yeah, damn you nvidia, ****, there is now friken way I can afford to go up to a PCI-E board... lol, gimme a break...

so yeah...

new board....
    new cpu....
    new GPU, of course....
    maybe, new ram even....

and then I have to seel the stuff I have... somehow... yeah right,,, I'll just go bankrupt, damn it...

I thiknk nvidia should ****ing do a nice lil trade in, like I've said before, no AGP release, they can swap all my parts out for free, then I'll buy their 600 buck card... maybe...

P.S.: To the dude on the second page... I DID have an FX, this was my hist--GF2>GF4mx420>GFfx5600>GF6800GT (so you are wrong...)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  9. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    BS -- any nV card released by ASUS eg. is not following the reference design :p

10. XanderF

XanderF Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 3850 512mb
    Huh.

Too bad you didn't go AMD.

- new motherboard
    - new graphics card

And you're done! AMDs CPUs and ram are the same across both board types.

11. Battleweary

Battleweary Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7900 GTO@675/1460
    For you guys still using the FX series or lower, just take advantage of the fact that the new Nvidia card is going to drive the prices down on the 6800GT and get one of those. I could probably beg and plead with my wife to let me upgrade to a new 64 bit athlon and a PCI-E 7800, but my mobile athlon with my 6800GT runs all the lastest games great, including BF2. If you just want to upgrade to improve your sig, then you need to give your head a shake, or send me all of your "outdated" parts that you take out of your machine to make room for the latest and greatest. I'll put them to good use, I promise.

12. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    I'll be upgrading very soon and my new system will be AMD / 7800 GTX in SLI. I'm only going with AMD because I can't stand DDR2 memory it reminds me of the RDRAM days to much. If consumers make Nvidia squeal then they will sing a diffrent tune when it comes to AGP versions of the G70

13. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    NV are idiots imo. ATi will will make the money then ! once they launch their r520 in AGP, many peeps will buy them up. idiots :mad:

14. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    To all the people who are mad about this pci-e thing, let it go... You're not still mad that AGP replaced the original PCI are you?

And in this whole ATI vs Nvidia thing, i think they are pretty much comparable. If i pay $500 (just an example) im gonna get good graphics capabilities from either company. Although I will continue buying nvidia until they get rid of Digital Vibrance. That one thing made me replace the stock ATI card in this computer when i bought it because the colors are dull as hell on ATI cards.

15. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor Radeon HD 4850
    well..stop complaining guys...maybe you all should be happy u didnt upgrade in the first place..well for pciex guys like me who got the 915 chipset..the damn board does not support dual core and insane speed rams...now if i gonna get a better cpu or ram to support a gpu like 7800..i surely gotta buy another mutha***kin 775 motherboard to support all the next gen gotta offer...the cycle is simple...work your sh*t load..buy something new..enjoy a while...another new sh*t comes out..work ur sh*t load again to save up money...the b@stards at intel should stop sukin money and make sumthing good...but truly i think they r too stuck up compared to amd...with all those crappy useless improvement they bring over..ht and sh*t,pciex..amd owners r so lucky..i regret owning this damn sh*t@ss cpu..if i got an amd..surely its a smooth upgrade just by bios flashin...

16. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor Radeon HD 4850
    if nvidia gonna go and suk up intels balls..well its a gonna be a duo from hell thats f**kin wanna leech our money...pciex is intels suggestion i think

17. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Those boards back then HAD both PCI and AGP and it's still like that, but you can't find a PCI-e board with an AGP slot together. ;)

18. jhego

jhego Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7900GTX EGS 650/1600
    Just got my system Aug 04 which was top of the line and in no way am switching to PCI-e until 2007. Besides, once i switch, there is of course a better card.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  19. Speedpc

Speedpc Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4Gig
  20. Creeper

Creeper Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6600GT PCI-E @ 550/1100